Embarrassing Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Embarrassing

Post by Grizz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:31 pm

asunshinee wrote:
Some people do it more nicely than others. I just get annoyed because everyone can be so condescending. He's looking for honest advice, not asking to be put down over his score. I think a lot of people blur the two and it's not necessary.

I appreciate you saying it in a nice way. I just think that some people throw their manners out the window because they are behind a computer.
Again, I didn't realize telling someone they should retake so they have a chance at A job, any job at all, is elitist in the slightest. I'd say all of this in real life, too.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:12 pm

OP should become a community organizer/social activist, not a lawyer.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:21 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:OP should become a community organizer/social activist, not a lawyer.
Also this.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:29 pm

asunshinee wrote:Thank you for putting that nicely. I understand that. I just truly believe that a lot of people on here, when they post things like this, are just looking for reassurance in the course that they're taking. I understand our responses aren't meant to "baby" anyone. Sometimes people just need support in their choices, whether we think they're stupid/pointless or not.
I think it's great of you to try and give someone support, but personally I think that it's irresponsible of us to simply tell OP what he wants to hear if that makes him throw $150K of his family's hard-earned money down the drain and wastes 3 years of his life just for a degree that doesn't help him achieve his goals.

I think it's important for people to remind him that, if he really cares about helping others, he is in a better position to do so coming from a GREAT school than coming from a lower ranked school. He can put himself in a position to go to a better school by getting a better LSAT. We're doing him a disservice to say "Go for your dreams! You'll be a success no matter what you do!" when it's not true. By telling him what he needs in order to get a better shot at a job, they're being kinder to him than you are, in a way.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:47 pm

Pretty sure that with the schools you're talking about, you'd help more people by donating that tuition money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”