Transcript

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ignatiusr

Transcript

Postby ignatiusr » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:53 pm

I already posted in this forum several months ago, before I received my LSDAS GPA. It's a little higher than I anticipated, and my softs have improved somewhat since then as well, but I also noticed a potentially troubling trend on my transcript. I have 13 non-punitive Ws. 7 of these can be explained quickly and easily--my father was hospitalized in another state for multiple semesters. I'm describing this experience briefly in an addendum, and one of my recommenders has also offered to mention my father's illness and the Ws in his letter, while emphasizing my work ethic. However, there are 6 additional Ws. I'm adding one short paragraph to the addendum that addresses these extra Ws, saying (honestly) that the courses were unrelated to my degree program, that I chose them bc I thought they would be fun, when they weren't I withdrew before any significant work had been assigned, that I realize the immaturity of these decisions, and that I will not make the same mistake in the future.

Anecdotal evidence regarding the effect of Ws seems to be very inconsistent. Thoughts?
Last edited by ignatiusr on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

oregon000

Re: 3.98/174/Weak Softs/Lots of Ws

Postby oregon000 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:01 pm

The remaining W's might be perceived as GPA padding, but given your LSAT and other grades I think you will be alright. I would label your softs as average/above average. Plan on a good cycle.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:38 pm

Please don't apply to HYS...u would be wasting ur time and money getting accepted

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:31 pm

thederangedwang wrote:Please don't apply to HYS...u would be wasting ur time and money getting accepted

I agree for YS, but Harvard's a numbers whore. Even with the W's, it's worth the app fee.

ignatiusr

Postby ignatiusr » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:39 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:Please don't apply to HYS...u would be wasting ur time and money getting accepted

I agree for YS, but Harvard's a numbers whore. Even with the W's, it's worth the app fee.

I interpreted the original reply as sarcasm ("getting accepted") designed to suggest that I should apply to all three, but maybe that was an optimistic interpretation?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Probably in at H. Y & S will probably look to the quality of your school, major, softs, PS and will note your Ws. I don't think you are out by any means, but you're probably not a shoe in from the sound of your post, more likely an outside shot.

igo2northwestern

Postby igo2northwestern » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:12 pm

ignatiusr wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

I interpreted the original reply as sarcasm ("getting accepted") designed to suggest that I should apply to all three, but maybe that was an optimistic interpretation?

Concur with your interpretation

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:20 pm

yes i was joking and being sarcastic...

hence i said "getting accepted" instead of "trying to get accepted" or some other variation

u have a very very good shot at all three...i mean seriously..how could u not be..ur above median in every number stat and u have work experience....

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:30 pm

thederangedwang wrote:yes i was joking and being sarcastic...

hence i said "getting accepted" instead of "trying to get accepted" or some other variation

In my defense, this is TLS.

Return to “What are my chances?”