3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby Kabuo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:01 pm

I meant to say in my Ohio rant that Columbus is at least as nice a place to live as Pitt imo, but that he's right on about the rest of the state.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Ive spent time in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincy. Pittsburgh is by far the nicest. Columbus is okay though, and I agree with the sentiment that Cincy barely feels like a city. Id never heard that before, but its pretty perfect. Cleveland is balls. The coolest part about it was the Flatts and they tore it down.

In full disclosure, I go to Pitt. But I could have gone to Case for cheaper, and honestly couldnt stand the thought of living in Cleveland.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:40 pm

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I grew up and currently live in a town not far from Pittsburgh (not really a suburb, but a lot of my town's identity is wrapped up in Pittsburgh), and I spent a lot of time with my brother when he was in Cleveland. I think it's a bit mob mentality to say "my town is absolutely better than yours" in the same way someone would root for a football team. There are people who like Cleveland enough to raise their families there, and there are people who like Pittsburgh in the same way. People do this all the time (usually New Yorkers), and it rubs me the wrong way. What does it matter to you if someone likes Cleveland more than Pittsburgh, or Chicago more than New York? In fairness to OP, I was just throwing out a suggestion that he should look at OSU if he wants to stay close to home, as Pitt makes me a bit uneasy with all of the negative attention they've been attracting lately. I have no doubt they'll bounce back and if he absolutely made it clear he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh, I couldn't suggest a better school. But he seemed willing to relocate, and with his stats, I don't think OSU would be a bad choice. I think it would be helpful to OP if anyone with knowledge of the Pittsburgh legal market could speak about what an OSU degree and ties would do for OP in Pittsburgh.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Im not saying theres anything wrong with OSU. I dont think a degree from there travels, as I dont think a degree from Pitt travels. Thats kind of why I compared the cities. Because thats really what it comes down to between those two options; where you want to live. I think Pittsburgh is pretty fantastic (haha Im a NYer, pretty spot on). Im not a fan of Cleveland at all, and Ohio in general doesnt really do it for me. But its up to OP to make that decision.

Also, Pitt will likely be dirt cheap for OP.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:04 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Im not saying theres anything wrong with OSU. I dont think a degree from there travels, as I dont think a degree from Pitt travels.

And the nail is hit on the head.

I was also being good-natured in my Cleveland ribbing, and I'm sorry it wasn't more apparent, Descartes. Also, where in Picksburgh are you from? I'm a Philly native, but I've picked up a lot of local knowledge since I went to Pitt for UG. You can PM me the details if you'd prefer.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciated all the information / different points of views that have been presented in this thread.

I'll add some clarification to my post.

All things being equal, I'd probably rather stay in Pittsburgh (I've lived 20 minutes from the city my whole life and am a stereotypical "homer" in a lot of senses). However, my main concern would be the best job / salary I can find after law school. I was under the impression since schools like Ohio State (and other similarly ranked schools that I believe I have a shot of being accepted) are ranked a decent amount better than Pitt they would offer better job prospects for me in the future. Is there any truth to this line of thinking? If this is true, I'd prefer attending one of those schools. If they would give me similar job opportunities (but just in a different market), I'll probably attend Pitt.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:37 pm

From Law school transparency:

OSU (LinkRemoved)

Pitt (LinkRemoved)

OSU looks a lot better from that, but I'm putting more faith in the fact that 14% more grads reported their salary/employment data from OSU than did Pitt. I think if your primary goal is to get A job, OSU would win out in this competition. I don't think the salaries should sway you very much: if you don't receive scholarships at either, you're automatically saving 15k a year at Pitt. You'll almost certainly get a scholly at Pitt, and you're not necessarily guaranteed one at OSU. So, it could be 5-10 years before those median salary increases make their way to your pockets. If I were you, I'd apply to both and elsewhere in the 20-50 range to get scholarships to leverage. 4 points on the LSAT will get you a T25 with $$, and even a single point will net you more scholarships at the range that you're already looking at, so keep that in mind for the retake.

Good luck!

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:40 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Thanks for all the input, I really appreciated all the information / different points of views that have been presented in this thread.

I'll add some clarification to my post.

All things being equal, I'd probably rather stay in Pittsburgh (I've lived 20 minutes from the city my whole life and am a stereotypical "homer" in a lot of senses). However, my main concern would be the best job / salary I can find after law school. I was under the impression since schools like Ohio State (and other similarly ranked schools that I believe I have a shot of being accepted) are ranked a decent amount better than Pitt they would offer better job prospects for me in the future. Is there any truth to this line of thinking? If this is true, I'd prefer attending one of those schools. If they would give me similar job opportunities (but just in a different market), I'll probably attend Pitt.

Rankings at that level dont really mean anything. They jumble from year to year and are more or less comparable (a lot of people think that this is the case for all schools outside the top 20 schools, though this is likely an exaggeration). The biggest difference between OSU and Pitt are not rank, its geographic location. These two schools are likely going to give you extremely similar job prospects. On top of that, it would cost you far less money to attend Pitt, which would mean that even if you were making the same amount of money as a comparable OSU grad (namely you, only coming out of OSU), you would be taking home more money because youd be paying off loans quicker, or at a reduced rate.

FWIW, Pitt just hired a new OCI staff, which is good for the school and their students' job prospects. Honestly, if you have such deep ties to PGH, you should prolly stay there. It could make finding a job easier.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:21 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:From Law school transparency:

OSU (LinkRemoved)

Pitt (LinkRemoved)

OSU looks a lot better from that, but I'm putting more faith in the fact that 14% more grads reported their salary/employment data from OSU than did Pitt. I think if your primary goal is to get A job, OSU would win out in this competition. I don't think the salaries should sway you very much: if you don't receive scholarships at either, you're automatically saving 15k a year at Pitt. You'll almost certainly get a scholly at Pitt, and you're not necessarily guaranteed one at OSU. So, it could be 5-10 years before those median salary increases make their way to your pockets. If I were you, I'd apply to both and elsewhere in the 20-50 range to get scholarships to leverage. 4 points on the LSAT will get you a T25 with $$, and even a single point will net you more scholarships at the range that you're already looking at, so keep that in mind for the retake.

Good luck!

If the costs are roughly equal, and OP wants the additional possibility of working in Ohio (an OSU degree can probably bring a life-long 'Burgher back home without much issue), I don't disagree. But I do think paying significantly more for OSU would not be a poor decision.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:46 am

I'm a 1L at OSU and got in, with money, with a 3.28/164.

Also, we actually have a really great relationship with firms in Pittsburgh. A lot of the staying in Columbus is self-selection...people LOVE Columbus and don't want to leave. Pittsburgh firms come to our OCI and there are listings in Pitt regularly in our career services emails.

If you have any questions about OSU, I'm happy to help!

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby Kabuo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:13 am

lifestooquick wrote:I'm a 1L at OSU and got in, with money, with a 3.28/164.

Also, we actually have a really great relationship with firms in Pittsburgh. A lot of the staying in Columbus is self-selection...people LOVE Columbus and don't want to leave. Pittsburgh firms come to our OCI and there are listings in Pitt regularly in our career services emails.

If you have any questions about OSU, I'm happy to help!


Same GPA, higher LSAT, in state. Asked them for a fee waiver 3 times and got ignored each time =\. Would have really liked the option of OSU, in-state, with money. What gives?

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:41 am

Kabuo wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:I'm a 1L at OSU and got in, with money, with a 3.28/164.

Also, we actually have a really great relationship with firms in Pittsburgh. A lot of the staying in Columbus is self-selection...people LOVE Columbus and don't want to leave. Pittsburgh firms come to our OCI and there are listings in Pitt regularly in our career services emails.

If you have any questions about OSU, I'm happy to help!


Same GPA, higher LSAT, in state. Asked them for a fee waiver 3 times and got ignored each time =\. Would have really liked the option of OSU, in-state, with money. What gives?

They don't give fee waivers, sorry! :(

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby Kabuo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:43 am

lifestooquick wrote:
They don't give fee waivers, sorry! :(


Lol, wish they had just told me that when I kept pestering them.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:50 am

Kabuo wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:
They don't give fee waivers, sorry! :(


Lol, wish they had just told me that when I kept pestering them.

Yeah, I did the same thing and they never answered. I don't know of anyone who successfully got either a fee waiver or an answer. I think they just continually ignore the requests (which doesn't make any sense IMO). Maybe I'll mention that to the admissions office...

nucky thompson
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: 3.48 LSDAS GPA / 164 LSAT...

Postby nucky thompson » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Not sure if OSU gives solicited fee waivers - but I received an unsolicited one via email a few weeks ago




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests