171/3.6 - SoCal??

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
No13baby

171/3.6 - SoCal??

Postby No13baby » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:26 pm

I'm pretty interested in UCLA, but I want to know how worried I should be about getting in with my low GPA. I'm white, went to a top 15 undergrad, will have two years of work experience in a law firm (writing motions and etc., not just faxing things), and grew up/went to high school in CA but have since defected to become a resident of another state. My parents still live in CA - is there any way to turn a combination of the above factors into in-state residency?

Failing that, would I be likely to get any $$ at USC?

Revolver066

Re: 171/3.6 - SoCal??

Postby Revolver066 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Go to lawschoolnumbers.com and check it out. Based upon my 30 sec research I'd say your pretty safe rd, and you may even get a little$- emphasis on little.

I didn't check USC but it's probably about the same.

ETA: looks like if your above a 3.5 with your lsat you are in.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:50 pm

No13baby wrote:I'm pretty interested in UCLA, but I want to know how worried I should be about getting in with my low GPA. I'm white, went to a top 15 undergrad, will have two years of work experience in a law firm (writing motions and etc., not just faxing things), and grew up/went to high school in CA but have since defected to become a resident of another state. My parents still live in CA - is there any way to turn a combination of the above factors into in-state residency?

I can speak about the residency... I HIGHLY doubt you will be able to obtain residency. I lived my entire life in CA, went to MT at 18 and claimed residency with my father to have in-state tuition there, came back 9 months later and was unable to have in-state tuition in CA for a whole year. It worked out because I went to AmeriCorps to kill time and had a wonderful experience. :)

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:01 pm

JDndMSW wrote:
No13baby wrote:I'm pretty interested in UCLA, but I want to know how worried I should be about getting in with my low GPA. I'm white, went to a top 15 undergrad, will have two years of work experience in a law firm (writing motions and etc., not just faxing things), and grew up/went to high school in CA but have since defected to become a resident of another state. My parents still live in CA - is there any way to turn a combination of the above factors into in-state residency?

I can speak about the residency... I HIGHLY doubt you will be able to obtain residency. I lived my entire life in CA, went to MT at 18 and claimed residency with my father to have in-state tuition there, came back 9 months later and was unable to have in-state tuition in CA for a whole year. It worked out because I went to AmeriCorps to kill time and had a wonderful experience. :)

Okay, thanks. I was wondering a lot about that - I saw several people on last year's UCLA thread say "I have residency because I went to HS in California" and was wondering if it was really that easy. (It's never that easy.)

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:57 am

No13baby wrote:
JDndMSW wrote:

I would double check though things change. I read somewhere about hs counting for something but I also heard that was note geared to helping undocumented students.
Okay, thanks. I was wondering a lot about that - I saw several people on last year's UCLA thread say "I have residency because I went to HS in California" and was wondering if it was really that easy. (It's never that easy.)

Return to “What are my chances?”