Chances at Cornell?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
emkay625

Chances at Cornell?

Postby emkay625 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:11 am

3.26, 169 (retaking in October but I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch)
4 years WE, non URM

What are my chances at Cornell?

law4vus

Re: Chances at Cornell?

Postby law4vus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:43 am

emkay625 wrote:3.26, 169 (retaking in October but I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch)
4 years WE, non URM

Not that great. You have the LSAT for it, but their LSAT median is low for a t-14 mainly because they gravitate toward higher GPAs. A couple people on LSN got in off the waitlist with similar numbers though if you want to try and ride that out.

Best bet would be to try and nail a 170+ on your retake. Good luck!

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:45 am

LSN indicates you have a shot. Apply ASAP. Cornell was extremely (read: hideously) slow processing applications last year... even for some folks that applied in time for EA.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:19 pm

law4vus wrote:
emkay625 wrote:3.26, 169 (retaking in October but I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch)
4 years WE, non URM

Not that great. You have the LSAT for it, but their LSAT median is low for a t-14 mainly because they gravitate toward higher GPAs. A couple people on LSN got in off the waitlist with similar numbers though if you want to try and ride that out.

Best bet would be to try and nail a 170+ on your retake. Good luck!

Gonna bump this thread, their GPA median is 3.6x now. Just looking at LSN it doesn't seem that they have an emphasis on GPA to the same extent other T14s do. Or am I way off base?

I'm wondering what kind of action they take with their waitlist, since I'm anticipating that.

sangr

Postby sangr » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:17 pm

with what numbers are u anticipating a waitlist? if u dont mind telling me that is.

how are acceptances generally if u are at a schools LSAT median, but very slightly below their GPA median? does that result in a decent shot? or do u have to be even higher ?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:22 pm

sangr wrote:with what numbers are u anticipating a waitlist? if u dont mind telling me that is.

how are acceptances generally if u are at a schools LSAT median, but very slightly below their GPA median? does that result in a decent shot? or do u have to be even higher ?

168, 3.4x

I'm at their LSAT median but .2 below their GPA median. I think you've always got a shot if you're at one median and close to another, but LSN has me as a waitlist, so that's my anticipation.

Ostrizr316

Postby Ostrizr316 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:42 pm

What was your Major? Was it one where GPA's are generally lower or at a school with a curve or little grade inflation?

What was your work experience?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:48 pm

Ostrizr316 wrote:What was your Major? Was it one where GPA's are generally lower or at a school with a curve or little grade inflation?

What was your work experience?

Double major in liberal arts. I was a transfer though and had an atrocious freshman year, since I've been at my new school my GPA is a shade under Cornell's median, though it's been 3.7x the past 2 semesters. I know it's no big deal but I'm hoping they cut me some slack.

Negligible work experience, I worked an office job for a few months before going back to school. I do have a few years of coaching a high school sports team (totally outing myself to adcomms if they're reading this) and a bunch of leadership positions in a related student organization.

So, no game changers. Pretty typical fare I would guess.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:21 am

minnbills wrote:
sangr wrote:with what numbers are u anticipating a waitlist? if u dont mind telling me that is.

168, 3.4x

I'm at their LSAT median but .2 below their GPA median. I think you've always got a shot if you're at one median and close to another, but LSN has me as a waitlist, so that's my anticipation.

I predict you will enjoy Woostle.

Return to “What are my chances?”