3.58/170+October Retake

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jeninamillion

3.58/170+October Retake

Postby jeninamillion » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:12 pm

I plan on applying to:

Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Boalt
Duke
Northwestern
Georgetown
UT Austin
UCLA
USC

I know I basically shot myself in the foot my having such a low GPA, but I plan on retaking the LSAT in October and hopefully getting a 175 (I've been PTing at this level for a couple months now).

At this point, I don't know which school I should ED: Columbia or NYU. Columbia has always been my dream school, but I feel like EDing NYU would be strategically better since I have a very small shot at Columbia. Come score release day and I do get a 175, should I RD both? Tuition isn't a problem for me, so I'm just really worried about which schools to apply to to max my chances of acceptance.

Any advice?
Last edited by jeninamillion on Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Re: 3.58/170+October Retake

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:14 pm

jeninamillion wrote:I plan on applying to:

Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Boalt
Duke
Northwestern
Georgetown
UT Austin
UCLA
USC

I know I basically shot myself in the foot my having such a low GPA, but I plan on retaking the LSAT in October and hopefully getting a 175 (I've been PTing at this level for a couple months now).

At this point, I don't know which school I should ED: Columbia or NYU. Columbia has always been my dream school, but I feel like EDing NYU would be strategically better since I have a very small shot at Columbia. Come score release day and I do get a 175, should I RD both? Tuition isn't a problem for me, so I'm just really worried about which schools to apply to to max my chances of acceptance.

Any advice?

As it stands, ED NYU. If you get to Columbia's median, ED there. I think a 175 + ED would lock you in, but I don't know about RD

jeninamillion

Postby jeninamillion » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Can you also chance me at these schools with my current stats? I'm worried that I'm not applying to enough schools and I'll get shut out.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:36 pm

CCN are out, though NYU ED might work. B and D are probably out, D might be WL. N and G could go either way and the others are somewhat likely, but definitely no guarantees. I'd do WUSTL, Vandy, GW, BC and BU to be safe

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:40 pm

jeninamillion wrote:Can you also chance me at these schools with my current stats? I'm worried that I'm not applying to enough schools and I'll get shut out.

Less than 50/50 at Michigan and Penn without ED, gets better below that range, but no chance at CCN. Always tough at places like UCLA and Berkeley where GPA is so important. Seems like no one gets in to Virginia without ED or in-state residency.

Lots of schools with a 170 median, so a one point increase can really help you.

jeninamillion

Postby jeninamillion » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
jeninamillion wrote:Can you also chance me at these schools with my current stats? I'm worried that I'm not applying to enough schools and I'll get shut out.

Less than 50/50 at Michigan and Penn without ED, gets better below that range, but no chance at CCN. Always tough at places like UCLA and Berkeley where GPA is so important. Seems like no one gets in to Virginia without ED or in-state residency.

I'm not really planning to apply to MVP. I don't particularly like those regions and would love to stay in CA or go to NY or other places with the same vibe

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:59 pm

jeninamillion wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I'm not really planning to apply to MVP. I don't particularly like those regions and would love to stay in CA or go to NY or other places with the same vibe

Well then own that retake. Otherwise a small scholly at USC or a larger scholarship at a regional school are the options. Perhaps BC or bu is a bice compromise option for your numbers and goals, but only if you can commit to boston after graduation. With that gpa scholarships won't be rushing your way until well down the rankings, so go hit a 172+ on the retake and enjoy columbia/nyu

Return to “What are my chances?”