3.01 GPA/168 LSAT Splitter friendly schools?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
murray18

3.01 GPA/168 LSAT Splitter friendly schools?

Postby murray18 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Hey guys,

Graduating in December from University of Georgia with 3.01-3.1 GPA. Major in Economics, Minor in History, 168 LSAT, White male etc etc

I would like to stay in the southeast (NC is about as far north as I'll go, and Dallas is about as far west as I want to go), but I'm having trouble figuring out what schools in this region are kind to splitters like me. I've done alot of digging on LSN and have formed some opinions on a few schools, but perhaps you guys can provide some insight I've missed.

So you guys know, I'm not particularly worried about getting into a top school, but rather a respectable school with some $$, or at least for a bargain. Top 30 is really my goal, but I'm considering all the way down the pike to Ole Miss :P.

I could (conceivably) qualify for in state tuition by my second year in Mississippi, Texas, and Georgia (close family in MS and TX, already am a resident in GA) if that helps.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Redzo

Re: 3.01 GPA/168 LSAT Splitter friendly schools?

Postby Redzo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:35 pm

The most obvious answer is WUSTL. I applied there as a splitter (3.0, 175) and didn't even really put much effort into my application, and they threw big money (26K/yr) at me. Your results may vary a little with a lower LSAT but I think you'd still be foolish not to at least apply there.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:39 pm

WOW! I had never even considered Washington U. This is exactly what I'm looking for... of course I've probably also missed some really obvious ones along the way.

Great suggestion. Keep 'em coming!!

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Definitely apply to WUSTL. Staying in Athens and going to UGA wouldn't be a bad option for you though. In-state tuition and a decent scholly would make it a hell of a lot more affordable than WUSTL.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Thus far UGA seems to be my best bet... Seems to be a clear cut off at 164, with very little attention paid to gpa. Bizarre, and maybe even questionable, but even so its definitely in my favor. Plus three more years in Athens wouldn't be so bad.

Anybody have any specific experience with UGA admissions? Maybe you can shed some light on the reliability of those stats.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Might wanna try emory

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:05 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Definitely apply to WUSTL. Staying in Athens and going to UGA wouldn't be a bad option for you though. In-state tuition and a decent scholly would make it a hell of a lot more affordable than WUSTL.

Yo Raleigh get your own avatar ;)

WUSTL is a bit iffy with a 168. They may have bumped their medians this year. Still worth a shot though.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:07 pm

PinkCow wrote:WUSTL is a bit iffy with a 168. They may have bumped their medians this year.

I really doubt that.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:28 pm

PinkCow wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Definitely apply to WUSTL. Staying in Athens and going to UGA wouldn't be a bad option for you though. In-state tuition and a decent scholly would make it a hell of a lot more affordable than WUSTL.

WUSTL is a bit iffy with a 168. They may have bumped their medians this year. Still worth a shot though.

I think they bumped their median this year, but mostly by taking anyone who had a 168+ and a pulse: http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:50 pm

^LOL at that chart!

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:06 pm

PinkCow wrote:

Hahah man I knew there was someone I was copying on here, but I was hoping we wouldn't cross paths.

I dunno about the WUSTL thing though. If anything were to change, I bet their ridiculous LSAT cutoff will go down to 167. (Expected drop in number of applications.)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:14 pm

UT is not happening. Below GPA floor.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Good advice on WUSTL, I'll be sure to do some looking into it. Anyone know any other splitter friendly schools in the southeast?

Also, by no chance at UT I assume youre talking about UT Austin, not Tennessee... because Tennessee would certainly be news to me (one of my backup schools haha)

Speaking of stupid questions, I'm reading alot of threads about people "ED-ing" at schools. New to the forums, and dont have a clue what that means. Anyone?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:24 pm

murray18 wrote:Good advice on WUSTL, I'll be sure to do some looking into it. Anyone know any other splitter friendly schools in the southeast?

Also, by no chance at UT I assume youre talking about UT Austin, not Tennessee... because Tennessee would certainly be news to me (one of my backup schools haha)

Speaking of stupid questions, I'm reading alot of threads about people "ED-ing" at schools. New to the forums, and dont have a clue what that means. Anyone?

Early Decision. Typically means applying around/before November 1st. Can be binding (you have to attend if accepted) or nonbinding. Usually gives you a slight bump in application points. Some places more than others

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:17 am

If you want southeast, WUSTL is probably not a good choice. With those numbers, you can get into schools with better placement in the southeast. Georgia is a great choice because you're in-state and you'd probably get some scholly money, so it would be very cheap for you.

You should be able to get GWU, but they place so many into DC that I'm not sure how great their placement in the SE is. W&L is another splitter-friendly school in the area. As others have said, you should also get Emory. LSN is a bit murky, but Alabama might take you too.

I think Tennessee and Ole Miss are way too low for a safety school. I would look at Wake Forest, George Mason, American, Florida and Florida State as safety schools. Unless there's something you're not telling us, there's no reason you won't get a bunch of T1 schools to bite.

I've compiled more info for splitters here that you may find useful: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=162680

murray18

Postby murray18 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Samara, very helpful info. I checked out that spreadsheet you put together and I'm not sure I see how UGA isn't splitter friendly. I checked LSN (more like "I've been stalking LSN"), and UGA has an almost vertical cut off line around 164 (ish). Doesn't that indicate it would be splitter friendly, or am I missing something key?

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:07 pm

murray18 wrote:Samara, very helpful info. I checked out that spreadsheet you put together and I'm not sure I see how UGA isn't splitter friendly. I checked LSN (more like "I've been stalking LSN"), and UGA has an almost vertical cut off line around 164 (ish). Doesn't that indicate it would be splitter friendly, or am I missing something key?

The only reason I didn't mark it as splitter-friendly is because it's a state school and I haven't seen enough data on out-of-state applicants to mark it as overall splitter-friendly like IU-B or UIUC. For in-state applicants though, such as yourself, it is very splitter-friendly.

Return to “What are my chances?”