Should i even apply this cycle?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lawschoolnoob2
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:31 am

Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby lawschoolnoob2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:41 am

Hello

I've been scouring these forums for advice on my law school application process and I am very unsure of whether or not I should apply this cycle.

I graduated with a 3.30 as an English major in Spring 2011 and I do not yet have an LSAT score. I canceled the June exam because I was woefully unprepared. I've been studying this past summer and I'm fairly confident that I can eke out a score in the high 160s/low 170s.

I am not a URM, and my work experience is very limited - I've been working full-time as an SAT teacher for about 2 months now.

Ideally, I'd like to land anywhere in the T25. With my current status, T14 seems out of reach for me...
What are my shots at some schools? I would like to stay in the northeast but am not averse to trying out a different area of the US.

Finally, if I were to apply this cycle and get rejected from everywhere/get accepted and not enroll, what is the policy about reapplication in the next cycle?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:44 am

Re-applying is fine, so don't let that stop you.

For now, just crush the LSAT. There is a huge difference between 168 and 172. See what transpires in October and then how your cycle plays out from there. If things don't go according to plan, re-take the LSAT and give it another shot a year from now. No need to make this decision now.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:46 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Re-applying is fine, so don't let that stop you.

For now, just crush the LSAT. There is a huge difference between 168 and 172. See what transpires in October and then how your cycle plays out from there. If things don't go according to plan, re-take the LSAT and give it another shot a year from now. No need to make this decision now.


+1 LSAT score determines all. Law school will be there next year and 5 years from now.

lawschoolnoob2
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby lawschoolnoob2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:51 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Re-applying is fine, so don't let that stop you.

For now, just crush the LSAT. There is a huge difference between 168 and 172. See what transpires in October and then how your cycle plays out from there. If things don't go according to plan, re-take the LSAT and give it another shot a year from now. No need to make this decision now.


Okay, that definitely takes the edge off things. However, as far as scheduling goes, I have been reading that with a 172 it is usually advisable to apply ED to UVA and then to other institutions. Am I too late in the game to execute this strat? It looks like I'm not going to get my test score back until late October at the earliest.

Thanks for all your help!

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:54 am

You can ED to UVA at any time in the cycle, as crazy as that sounds. The boost may not be quite as pronounced later on in the cycle (like after the end of the year) but it's still there.

Don't worry about timing though. You have plenty of time after the October results come out to ED to any school that offers it. UVA just has a unique appeal because they get back to you so quickly that if it doesn't work out you can apply ED somewhere else. And if it does work out, you can have your cycle wrapped up in mid-September.

But if UVA isn't for you anyway, then the strategy is pointless.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:56 am

most schools have a november ED deadline. If you send your stuff in as soon as you get your score you won't be too late in the cycle (think about all the students who are taking the october LSAT).

lawschoolnoob2
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby lawschoolnoob2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:02 am

Thanks for all your help moomoo2u and Tiago Splitter!

I definitely found extra motivation to study harder tomorrow haha

PS: Splitter: Are you a Spurs fan or did you just find the name as an amusing pun? Either way, clever name dude. Can't wait to see what he develops into (hopefully at least Scola-type production)

Thanks again for all your help guys. Will definitely be posting more obsessively once the test-date/score release become imminent.

Good night

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:15 am

Not a Spurs fan but a big NBA fan. Favorite team is the Timberwolves, unfortunately.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby tyro » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:31 am

lawschoolnoob2 wrote:Hello
3.30 as an English major in Spring 2011 and I do not yet have an LSAT score. I canceled the June exam because I was woefully unprepared. I've been studying this past summer and I'm fairly confident that I can eke out a score in the high 160s/low 170s.

I am not a URM, and my work experience is very limited
I would like to stay in the northeast

How many PrepTests have you taken? What is your average score? Are you struggling with timing issues or a particular section type that is bringing you down?

I would consider these questions before cancelling again. But, on the other hand, if you feel confident and then somehow score poorly this October, you can always retake next cycle.

lawschoolnoob2
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby lawschoolnoob2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks for the input tyro

As far as LSAT goes, I'd say I'm having the most trouble with the logic games section because I'm still new to it. I don't get more than one wrong in the CR. However, my LR does vary wildly (2-5 wrong per section within 3 days). While it is true that I have not done these sections consecutively (thus skewing my score), I think stamina is not much of an issue - I do these sections (Kaplan Pacing Practice, btw) after 8 hours of teaching SAT and I have done well on standardized tests in the past (mainly SAT and PSAT).

Splitter: This is not an unfortunate season to be a Wolves fan. No matter what the detractors say, Wes Johnson has plenty of upside still despite his age and you still have great players in Rubio Love and Beasley. I also wouldn't sleep on Randolph Webster and Darko (I still believe!!! lol)

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby Samara » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:14 pm

lawschoolnoob2 wrote:Thanks for the input tyro

As far as LSAT goes, I'd say I'm having the most trouble with the logic games section because I'm still new to it. I don't get more than one wrong in the CR. However, my LR does vary wildly (2-5 wrong per section within 3 days). While it is true that I have not done these sections consecutively (thus skewing my score), I think stamina is not much of an issue - I do these sections (Kaplan Pacing Practice, btw) after 8 hours of teaching SAT and I have done well on standardized tests in the past (mainly SAT and PSAT).

Splitter: This is not an unfortunate season to be a Wolves fan. No matter what the detractors say, Wes Johnson has plenty of upside still despite his age and you still have great players in Rubio Love and Beasley. I also wouldn't sleep on Randolph Webster and Darko (I still believe!!! lol)

Yep, nothing says future success like zero points, zero assists and zero rebounds! :P

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:17 pm

I can't wait to see Minnesota get the number pick in next year's draft because the season was canceled and have to give that pick to the Clippers.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby dr123 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Darko is the most overpaid player in the NBA

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:20 pm

dr123 wrote:Darko is the most overpaid player in the NBA


LOL no. If he understood that is role is to be a 15 minute a game backup center he'd be paid perfectly. The problem is he sulks without starter minutes and touches. But it's hard to call a guy making less than the league average overpaid.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby dr123 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
dr123 wrote:Darko is the most overpaid player in the NBA


LOL no. If he understood that is role is to be a 15 minute a game backup center he'd be paid perfectly. The problem is he sulks without starter minutes and touches. But it's hard to call a guy making less than the league average overpaid.


Darko is a veteran's minimum type player

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:28 pm

dr123 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
dr123 wrote:Darko is the most overpaid player in the NBA


LOL no. If he understood that is role is to be a 15 minute a game backup center he'd be paid perfectly. The problem is he sulks without starter minutes and touches. But it's hard to call a guy making less than the league average overpaid.


Darko is a veteran's minimum type player


Maybe. Few guys at his size in their mid 20s get the vet minimum. Still worth more than luke Walton while making less.

lawschoolnoob2
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby lawschoolnoob2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Samara wrote:
lawschoolnoob2 wrote:Thanks for the input tyro

As far as LSAT goes, I'd say I'm having the most trouble with the logic games section because I'm still new to it. I don't get more than one wrong in the CR. However, my LR does vary wildly (2-5 wrong per section within 3 days). While it is true that I have not done these sections consecutively (thus skewing my score), I think stamina is not much of an issue - I do these sections (Kaplan Pacing Practice, btw) after 8 hours of teaching SAT and I have done well on standardized tests in the past (mainly SAT and PSAT).

Splitter: This is not an unfortunate season to be a Wolves fan. No matter what the detractors say, Wes Johnson has plenty of upside still despite his age and you still have great players in Rubio Love and Beasley. I also wouldn't sleep on Randolph Webster and Darko (I still believe!!! lol)

Yep, nothing says future success like zero points, zero assists and zero rebounds! :P


Haha oops, meant to list him with Wes Johnson under "potential." As much as people say he's going to be a bust, I know I'm excited to see some Rubio-Love pick and roll action.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Should i even apply this cycle?

Postby tyro » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:34 pm

lawschoolnoob2 wrote:Thanks for the input tyro

As far as LSAT goes, I'd say I'm having the most trouble with the logic games section because I'm still new to it. I don't get more than one wrong in the CR. However, my LR does vary wildly (2-5 wrong per section within 3 days). While it is true that I have not done these sections consecutively (thus skewing my score), I think stamina is not much of an issue - I do these sections (Kaplan Pacing Practice, btw) after 8 hours of teaching SAT and I have done well on standardized tests in the past (mainly SAT and PSAT).


I would focus on drilling LG sections. LG is my worst section as well. In the next three weeks I'll be drilling three or more LG sections/day. One thing I've found helpful are the LSAT blog PT PDF's because I can just print individual LG sections and if I screw one up, I will just print it again and try the section again in a couple of days.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests