3.92/163 then 169

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
charon

3.92/163 then 169

Postby charon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:01 pm

Here's my school list so far:
UPenn
UVA
Duke
Georgetown
UMinn
BostonU

I'll also probably apply to Washington & Lee, William & Mary, and Chicago b/c they've sent me fee waivers. I'm mainly looking for schools that have dual degree programs or at least better-than-average course offerings in health law and bioethics.

I more or less know my chances if I just count the 169, but I thought I'd post to get opinions on the 6 point difference between my first and second tests. I'm also not in a great position with the parts of my application that aren't dependent on my numbers. I was one of those "sit in the back, watch movies on my laptop, and still make A's" types, so most of my teachers either don't have a clue who I am or don't really have a great opinion of me. I have one letter of rec so far, but it's by a grad student that only taught me in one class senior year (although I did participate in that class more than almost any other class I've taken, and did very well on my tests and assignments, so I feel like she was the right person to ask). Choosing a topic for my personal statement isn't going so well either (I know, it's way late to be just now starting on that).

Finally, does anyone know how much an arrest for public intoxication might hurt my application? Will an addendum explaining what happened be much help?

duckmoney

Re: 3.92/163 then 169

Postby duckmoney » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Most schools will probably just count the 169; six points is enough of a difference that its not a fluke. An addendum probably isn't necessary, but if there's a good reason for the gain other than "I studied harder" it could add something.

Letters of rec, thankfully, are about the least important part of the application. You'll need to get the minimum number for each school, so you'll just have to come up with something. Most professors you recently took a class will write you a generic one if you made an "A", it won't help you much but it will get the job done.

The PS is something anyone can do. You'll need to put work into it but you'll be fine.

As for the arrest - that could have a negative impact, but probably not much. When was it? If it was last week, then yes, that would be very bad. If it was freshman year, you'll probably be fine.

Since it sounds like you don't many soft factors, I would be very conservative in your estimates of where you get, especially places where your LSAT is below median (like Duke and UVA). It is mostly numbers based without a doubt, and you should get in about everywhere where you are above both medians, but when you're on the line the lack of softs can definitely hurt you.

Good luck!

charon

Postby charon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Yeah, I don't really have many softs to speak of. I've got a little bit of work experience as a teacher (I subbed for about a year before being hired full-time this July) and I've done some community service, but that's about it. I do feel like my specific interest in bioethics might help with a few of the "Why X" essays though.

As for the arrest, it was this year on St. Patty's day. I was left at a party by one of my less-than-awesome friends and was walking to another friend's house when I was seen "stumbling" on the sidewalk by a police officer. They were going to let me go if I had been in possession of my cell phone so that I could call someone to pick me up, but as it was in my "friend's" car when he left, they took me to jail. I'm pretty sure I could even get the cop to write up something to confirm this.

charon

Postby charon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:12 pm

One other thought: Everyone at the school I teach at seems to like me. Would it be better to skip getting a second letter of rec from a teacher and get one from my employer instead? I feel like it would be much less generic.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm

charon wrote:One other thought: Everyone at the school I teach at seems to like me. Would it be better to skip getting a second letter of rec from a teacher and get one from my employer instead? I feel like it would be much less generic.

Yes.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:37 am

With the work experience might have a shot at NU.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:38 am

Yukos wrote:With the work experience might have a shot at NU.

His numbers give him a good shot at MVPD, perhaps even CN if apps are down again this year. It's the lack of softs that will might keep him out of those schools.

charon

Postby charon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the feedback :D

Return to “What are my chances?”