3.17/152->166->retake

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Bobeo

3.17/152->166->retake

Postby Bobeo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 am

Non-urm, average softs/PS/LoRs.

I've taken six PTs since my last LSAT. My scores were 173, 176, 169, 168, 174, 176. I'm planning on taking 7 more before October.

I want to do big gov after LS. If that is impossible I would likely rather do midlaw in Indianapolis or Chicago biglaw over Biglaw in NY.

Here is the list of schools I'm going to apply to, assuming I hit my PT average of 173. I wanted to know if there is anything I am overlooking or what people think about my chances. And I'm not going to ED cause I'm not ready to absolutely take on that amount of debt without visiting schools and giving the decision more thought.

Michigan
Penn
Virginia
Cornell
NW
GULC
GW
WUSTL
UIUC
Notre Dame
IUB

If I destroy my PT average I meant send an app to UChi. If I blow it I might just stay in state and do IU-Indy.

Thoughts? Chances? Other places I should apply or not bother with?

TheZoid

Re: 3.17/152->166->retake

Postby TheZoid » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Bobeo wrote: If I blow it I might just stay in state and do IU-Indy.

Why not do IU-B if you blow it? Should get some money out of them with your 166, no?

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:11 pm

Even if you blow it, with your 166 on the board, you should get IU-B (unless they average I guess) so I would counsel against IU-Indy. Indianapolis "biglaw/midlaw" is not a large market. I know a lot of people at IU-I who have struggled for a long time to find anything resembling decent employment, some still are.

Do you have work experience? Without it, you're out at NU. With it and a 172+, you're probably solid at NU. As for the others, you have a very solid list there. The T14 is going to be tough, but with a 172+ you'll probably get Georgetown and maybe Virginia. The others are reaches, but worth the app. 170+ and you should be in great shape at the others, though Notre Dame will likely be the most expensive by a wide margin.

I would also consider Minnesota and maybe Vanderbilt. If you blow it, George Mason and Wisconsin are good backups. Good luck!

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:24 pm

OP here. Yes, I will still definitely apply and attend IUB over IU-Indy if I blow it. I just have a feeling that because IUB increased their median from 164 to 166 last cycle, a 166 this cycle won't go as far there. I guess I'm considering IU-Indy my safety school.

As far as work experience goes, I worked in a government agency during the summer and winter breaks during college. Since graduation I've worked full time as a bar tender at a country club. This job, however, only lasts until November and doesn't pick up again until May or April. Aby other employment at thus point is speculative. I'm not sure if this is considered work experience to NW, but either way I figure its worth sending in an application.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Bobeo wrote:OP here. Yes, I will still definitely apply and attend IUB over IU-Indy if I blow it. I just have a feeling that because IUB increased their median from 164 to 166 last cycle, a 166 this cycle won't go as far there. I guess I'm considering IU-Indy my safety school.

As far as work experience goes, I worked in a government agency during the summer and winter breaks during college. Since graduation I've worked full time as a bar tender at a country club. This job, however, only lasts until November and doesn't pick up again until May or April. Aby other employment at thus point is speculative. I'm not sure if this is considered work experience to NW, but either way I figure its worth sending in an application.

Hmmm...that sounds a bit iffy wrt WE. I know that when NU refers to "work experience" they are referring to post-graduate work experience. Bartending I think "counts," but like you say, it's seasonal. The fact that worked a "real job" during college is good. I don't know how exactly they evaluate WE to know how they would see this, but it's worth a shot. You will have a year between UG and LS, and that's technically what the statistics they tout measure anyway.

As for IU-B, their 2010 cycle numbers are 156/164/164. Are you referring to unofficial data for the 2011 cycle? If so, they've been boosting their medians with those huge scholarships and as you can see, they took a ton of 164s in 2010 and if 166 is correct for 2011, they took a ton of those. So, they'll still need a lot of people like you to maintain those numbers. I think you're in good shape.

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Yes that number came from the New Medians Thread in the admission forum. They bumped it to 166 for 2011.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:19 pm

Bobeo wrote:Yes that number came from the New Medians Thread in the admission forum. They bumped it to 166 for 2011.

Ah, good to know. I think they'll still be wanting a lot of 166ers. Either way, good luck on the LSAT so you wan't have to worry about it! :)

Return to “What are my chances?”