2.94/172

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
uofrhopefull

2.94/172

Postby uofrhopefull » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:21 am

I'm trying to get an honest assessment from those who have gone through the process as to what my chances are for admission to law school.

I am an older applicant (I will be 32 at enrollment), with a 2.94 cum GPA from a highly regarded liberal arts college (double major in Biology (that was the GPA killer) and Business Administration).

My GPA definitely had an upward trend, with a 3.5 for the last 80 hours taken.

I scored 172 on my last LSAT and am re-taking in December. If my last few practice tests are indicative, I should raise that score by at least a couple of points to the 174-175 range.

Since graduation I have strictly worked in the legal field (thus the reason for wanting to go back to law school, I'm tired of bumping my head against the ceiling). I worked for a private Social Security Disability firm where they actually allowed me to represent claimants at Administrative Law Judge hearings, I worked for a state government agency that allowed me to serve as the "prosecution" in administrative conferences (this was for the Board of Medicine, there were 12 people who did this job, 2 of us were non-attorneys), and I've worked for the Virginia Attorney General.

A big black mark against me is that I was convicted of a DUI in 2006. This was a stupid, irresponsible, and isolated act that I will fully disclose. I have definitely changed since this time, and I'm hoping an addendum will address this with the adcomms.

I have a several great LORs, two from attorneys that I have worked with and one from a professor (from way back in 2002).

Due to my unique circumstances, I'm limited to only 3 schools that I could consider for application. These are the University of Richmond, The University of Virginia, and William & Mary.

From all of the research I've done I think I should get in at Richmond, I may be considered at William & Mary and I will most definitely get denied at Virginia.

Any input and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

uofrhopefull

Re: 2.94/172

Postby uofrhopefull » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:32 am

One additional factor, I do not fall into any URM category.

uofrhopefull

Postby uofrhopefull » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:35 am

I keep realizing I forgot to post things. My other softs, from years ago, are good. I was Chairman of the Honor Court (pretty big thing at UVA), Student Government, Ambassador, Finance Committee, etc...

Also, I was the first in my family to attend college, much less law school.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:37 am

It sounds like you are in-state at UVA. I'd try to ED there very early; sub 3.0 GPA is a killer, but you have a shot.

I'd also try for Northwestern if you have some work experience. Don't waste your time with Univ of Richmond.
Last edited by deadpanic on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:37 am

A shame you can't consider Northwestern. They would almost certainly take you. William and Mary should throw some money at you. I would stay away from Richmond, but they should also throw some money at you. I'd send the app to UVA, maybe ED too, but it'd ordinarily be an auto ding. Maybe they'll love you or something though. And since you're in state, that should help.

*EDIT* What I said is sort of assuming biglaw or that you don't care about paying sticker at UVA, and now that I reread it, that seems like it could be off.
Last edited by Kabuo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

uofrhopefull

Postby uofrhopefull » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:40 am

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have done this 7 years ago and I would have been free to travel anywhere. However, as life dictates, I'm stuck in Central VA and my wife is in her first year of a great grad school program.

uofrhopefull

Postby uofrhopefull » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Kabuo wrote:A shame you can't consider Northwestern. They would almost certainly take you. William and Mary should throw some money at you. I would stay away from Richmond, but they should also throw some money at you. I'd send the app to UVA, maybe ED too, but it'd ordinarily be an auto ding. Maybe they'll love you or something though. And since you're in state, that should help.

*EDIT* What I said is sort of assuming biglaw or that you don't care about paying sticker at UVA, and now that I reread it, that seems like it could be off.

It's hightly doubtful that I will go the biglaw route, but I do have several close friends who are partners at some big firms. I'm thinking that I'll probably either go government or go work with my uncle's small firm. I'm not opposed to paying sticker at UVA, I'd probably jump on it if it were offered.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Definitely ED to UVA then. If you're only applying to these 3 schools, there's really no reason not to. Maybe they'll value all the other parts of your app more than the .04 GPA that would make you almost a lock.

uofrhopefull

Postby uofrhopefull » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm hoping that my going to UVA for undergrad will boost my standing

Return to “What are my chances?”