Georgetown PT? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vissidarte27

Bronze

Georgetown PT?

Post by vissidarte27 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:07 pm

What would it take to get into the PT program at Georgetown? Median LSAT and median GPA? Is there any leeway there? Does the ED option have any sway on an otherwise borderline profile?

3.3/165 (retaking in October) and plan on living and working in DC. My partner and I have agreed that it is probably the best place for us -- she'll be able to find work in her field, I want to do PI or government work, so it would be a good place for me, career-wise, and we both love the mid-Atlantic. My top choice is Georgetown, but I know I'm not even close to being a contender for the full-time program, so I thought I'd see what the PT scene looked like. Additionally, my current job would pay 5k/year of my tuition if I worked at least 20 hours/week, and I'd like to be able to take advantage of that.

What kind of LSAT score would be needed in October to make GULC PT a possibility? (I also plan on applying ED, if that makes a difference.)

Ernert

Bronze

Re: Georgetown PT?

Post by Ernert » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:18 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/georgeto ... enter.html

According to this, the LSAT 75th was 167 and the GPA 25th was 3.4ish (for PT), so basically in order to be a PT splitter applicant, you're going to need a 168+ (assuming the numbers are up to date).

pcwcecac

Bronze

Post by pcwcecac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Buddy, aim for a 170!

You have time. You can do it! With a 170, you have a very good shot.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Here are the most recent U.S. News numbers:

LSAT scores (25th-75th percentile) 164-170
Undergraduate GPA (25th-75th percentile) 3.39-3.79
Median undergraduate GPA for part-time program entrants 3.70
Median LSAT score for part-time program entrants 167

You're just below their 25th percentile GPA but I think if you get a 167+ you have a pretty decent shot at getting in. If you get a 170+ I'd say you're as good as in.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Sheehan wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/georgeto ... enter.html

According to this, the LSAT 75th was 167 and the GPA 25th was 3.4ish (for PT), so basically in order to be a PT splitter applicant, you're going to need a 168+ (assuming the numbers are up to date).
I don't think that info is up to date. My understanding of PT is that a couple years ago USNews said it would start evaluating the credentials of all incoming students when ranking schools, whereas before they'd ignored the scores and GPAs of PT students when making their general rankings. Before this switch, schools had used their PT programs to hide lower-number students from the rankings, making admission standards lower for PT programs. When USNews decided to change their policy to include PT students in their rankings, schools responded by slashing their PT programs' size and raising admission standards to reach parity with their full-time students. This is one reason GW plummeted in the rankings and then immediately regained their T20 spot. You can no longer safely assume that PT admissions standards are substantially lower than they are for FT programs.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Sheehan wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/georgeto ... enter.html

I don't think that info is up to date. My understanding of PT is that a couple years ago USNews said it would start evaluating the credentials of all incoming students when ranking schools, whereas before they'd ignored the scores and GPAs of PT students when making their general rankings. Before this switch, schools had used their PT programs to hide lower-number students from the rankings, making admission standards lower for PT programs. When USNews decided to change their policy to include PT students in their rankings, schools responded by slashing their PT programs' size and raising admission standards to reach parity with their full-time students. This is one reason GW plummeted in the rankings and then immediately regained their T20 spot. You can no longer safely assume that PT admissions standards are substantially lower than they are for FT programs.
This is credited. Plus, GULC has also actually said that the admissions standards would be comparable between FT and PT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”