Unique situation

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
weso1

Unique situation

Postby weso1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:16 am

Hi all, I just found this forum and I have an issue.

I'm 27 and just starting to consider law school. Late start for sure, but I'll explain why.

I graduated undergrad on time with a 3.3 (not great, but my class schedule was 40hrs a week and I finished my BA in record time.)

After school, I went to (and still am) in South Korea where I teach English. I've taught underprivileged kids and also at one of the top private schools in the country here. It's been awesome really. I've also done some major volunteer work. Nearly 100hrs logged while getting my BA and another 200hrs here in Korea helping North Korean refugees. I think this summer or next I'll go to Africa and help build a school or hospital for a month. I just think there is so much to do in this world, if everyone helps a little, a lot can change.

So, I haven't even taken a LSAT pt. If I took a guess, maybe after a few weeks or months of studying I could get in the mid or upper 160s?

Oh, and once I do return home I plan on joining the Army National Guard. Military service is a bit of a family tradition, so it's kind of expected. But I'm actually happy to carry on this for a our family.

So with my modest GPA (3.3) and maybe a pretty good LSAT, what do you think my chances of getting into a T14 school would be? Honestly, I just really want to go to Georgetown. Politics and American history is my thing. So to study in the nation's capital would be a dream come true. I guess it's good that I've read Georgetown places more focus on an applicant's character than some other schools do.

Any advice (or constructive criticism) would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone. Have a nice day.

Heartford

Re: Unique situation

Postby Heartford » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:25 am

weso1 wrote:Hi all, I just found this forum and I have an issue.

I'm 27 and just starting to consider law school. Late start for sure, but I'll explain why.

I graduated undergrad on time with a 3.3 (not great, but my class schedule was 40hrs a week and I finished my BA in record time.)

After school, I went to (and still am) in South Korea where I teach English. I've taught underprivileged kids and also at one of the top private schools in the country here. It's been awesome really. I've also done some major volunteer work. Nearly 100hrs logged while getting my BA and another 200hrs here in Korea helping North Korean refugees. I think this summer or next I'll go to Africa and help build a school or hospital for a month. I just think there is so much to do in this world, if everyone helps a little, a lot can change.

So, I haven't even taken a LSAT pt. If I took a guess, maybe after a few weeks or months of studying I could get in the mid or upper 160s?

Oh, and once I do return home I plan on joining the Army National Guard. Military service is a bit of a family tradition, so it's kind of expected. But I'm actually happy to carry on this for a our family.

So with my modest GPA (3.3) and maybe a pretty good LSAT, what do you think my chances of getting into a T14 school would be? Honestly, I just really want to go to Georgetown. Politics and American history is my thing. So to study in the nation's capital would be a dream come true. I guess it's good that I've read Georgetown places more focus on an applicant's character than some other schools do.

Welcome to TLS. As you will learn, law school admissions is almost entirely based upon your GPA and LSAT score, and all other factors basically function as tiny bonuses. Even when you read that some schools place more emphasis upon "character," or anything else, the truth is that the numbers are by far the most important part of your application. Check out lawschoolpredictor.com and lawschoolnumbers.com to get an idea of what kind of GPA and LSAT you need to get in to different schools. You'll find that you probably need at least a 170 LSAT to have even a chance at Georgetown with that GPA. Good luck.

descartesb4thehorse

Re: Unique situation

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:03 am

weso1 wrote:Hi all, I just found this forum and I have an issue.

You have a story that will lend itself to a good PS (and military service is a nice soft as well), but this game comes down to the numbers. 3.3 means you'll need a very polished app, good-great letters of rec from former professors, and at least a 170, but if I were you, I'd be shooting for 172.

You also don't know what your LSAC GPA is. They have a slightly different grading scale than your undergrad institution and they consider all college-level courses taken before your degree was conferred (e.g. college courses taken in HS, community college classes taken before/while you were at your degree-conferring institution, etc.), so your 3.3 could go up or it could go down. That's something to keep in mind.

I think before you could have gotten into Georgetown's part-time program with softer numbers, but the part-time programs are now being included with FT in terms of the rankings, so you're going to need to get the high LSAT score. General consensus is that they don't want to dip below one of the medians (GPA for you) unless you're going to help the other (e.g. LSAT). With your situation, if you are able to get the high LSAT, it also wouldn't hurt to check out Northwestern's program.

Good luck.

Return to “What are my chances?”