3.0/170 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
westcoastin18

New

3.0/170

Post by westcoastin18 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:22 am

3.0 gpa from undergrad with a 170 from the june taking. i have significant family in both the southwest and midwest but am open to anything. i am applying fall cycle and i wanted to get an idea of what to expect from...

Iowa
Arizona
WUSTL
ASU
Minnesota
Loyola LA
Wisconsin
USC
SMU
USD

Any other ideas about potential schools would be appreciated!

law4vus

Silver

Re: 3.0/170

Post by law4vus » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:24 am

westcoastin18 wrote:3.0 gpa from undergrad with a 170 from the june taking. i have significant family in both the southwest and midwest but am open to anything. i am applying fall cycle and i wanted to get an idea of what to expect from...

Iowa
Arizona
WUSTL
ASU
Minnesota
Loyola LA
Wisconsin
USC
SMU
USD

Any other ideas about potential schools would be appreciated!
You're in at pretty much all those schools except maybe USC. I think you should shoot a little higher and see what happens if you put together a good application.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:32 am

Do you have work experience? If so, you have a decent chance at Northwestern with a good app. WUSTL, GW and UIUC should all take you, and probably with a little money. IU-B has been handing out scholarships like candy, so give them a good look too. If you want southwest, maybe Arizona/Arizona State, maybe SMU. The splitter-friendly schools are pretty much all in the midwest, so I think you'd be better off going to a midwest school and trying to crack the southwest market from there or just stay in the midwest. I think I've heard that WUSTL has good Cali connections.

I made a guide for splitters here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=162680

westcoastin18

New

Post by westcoastin18 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Ya I've got a year of WE in solid PR firm in California. And would a retake really help me out that much more with my low gpa? Would someplace like GULC be out of the question if i score higher?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:57 pm

westcoastin18 wrote:Ya I've got a year of WE in solid PR firm in California. And would a retake really help me out that much more with my low gpa? Would someplace like GULC be out of the question if i score higher?
I would seriously consider a retake. With a 170, you are right at the median at GULC and NU. If you were to get a 173+, you'd be golden at NU and have a much better shot at GULC, which has a GPA floor of about 3.00.

mikeditkaisgod

New

Post by mikeditkaisgod » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Samara wrote:
westcoastin18 wrote:Ya I've got a year of WE in solid PR firm in California. And would a retake really help me out that much more with my low gpa? Would someplace like GULC be out of the question if i score higher?
I would seriously consider a retake. With a 170, you are right at the median at GULC and NU. If you were to get a 173+, you'd be golden at NU and have a much better shot at GULC, which has a GPA floor of about 3.00.
In my opinion, retaking a 170 is pointless unless you've constantly been cracking 175+ on PT's. NU is iffy, but definitely worth a shot. An ED to NU would probably get you in if you don't mind paying sticker. You'll get huge scholarships to WashU, UIUC and IUB. WashU and ND would definitely be good options for you because they seem to place fairly well in Cali, which gives you more job options because of your connections to the SW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”