3.0/170

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
westcoastin18
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:14 am

3.0/170

Postby westcoastin18 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:22 am

3.0 gpa from undergrad with a 170 from the june taking. i have significant family in both the southwest and midwest but am open to anything. i am applying fall cycle and i wanted to get an idea of what to expect from...

Iowa
Arizona
WUSTL
ASU
Minnesota
Loyola LA
Wisconsin
USC
SMU
USD

Any other ideas about potential schools would be appreciated!

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: 3.0/170

Postby law4vus » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:24 am

westcoastin18 wrote:3.0 gpa from undergrad with a 170 from the june taking. i have significant family in both the southwest and midwest but am open to anything. i am applying fall cycle and i wanted to get an idea of what to expect from...

Iowa
Arizona
WUSTL
ASU
Minnesota
Loyola LA
Wisconsin
USC
SMU
USD

Any other ideas about potential schools would be appreciated!


You're in at pretty much all those schools except maybe USC. I think you should shoot a little higher and see what happens if you put together a good application.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: 3.0/170

Postby Samara » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:32 am

Do you have work experience? If so, you have a decent chance at Northwestern with a good app. WUSTL, GW and UIUC should all take you, and probably with a little money. IU-B has been handing out scholarships like candy, so give them a good look too. If you want southwest, maybe Arizona/Arizona State, maybe SMU. The splitter-friendly schools are pretty much all in the midwest, so I think you'd be better off going to a midwest school and trying to crack the southwest market from there or just stay in the midwest. I think I've heard that WUSTL has good Cali connections.

I made a guide for splitters here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=162680

westcoastin18
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 3.0/170

Postby westcoastin18 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Ya I've got a year of WE in solid PR firm in California. And would a retake really help me out that much more with my low gpa? Would someplace like GULC be out of the question if i score higher?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: 3.0/170

Postby Samara » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:57 pm

westcoastin18 wrote:Ya I've got a year of WE in solid PR firm in California. And would a retake really help me out that much more with my low gpa? Would someplace like GULC be out of the question if i score higher?

I would seriously consider a retake. With a 170, you are right at the median at GULC and NU. If you were to get a 173+, you'd be golden at NU and have a much better shot at GULC, which has a GPA floor of about 3.00.

mikeditkaisgod
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Re: 3.0/170

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Samara wrote:
westcoastin18 wrote:Ya I've got a year of WE in solid PR firm in California. And would a retake really help me out that much more with my low gpa? Would someplace like GULC be out of the question if i score higher?

I would seriously consider a retake. With a 170, you are right at the median at GULC and NU. If you were to get a 173+, you'd be golden at NU and have a much better shot at GULC, which has a GPA floor of about 3.00.


In my opinion, retaking a 170 is pointless unless you've constantly been cracking 175+ on PT's. NU is iffy, but definitely worth a shot. An ED to NU would probably get you in if you don't mind paying sticker. You'll get huge scholarships to WashU, UIUC and IUB. WashU and ND would definitely be good options for you because they seem to place fairly well in Cali, which gives you more job options because of your connections to the SW.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8 and 4 guests