Splitter looking at Cornell, Should I retake?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
minnbills

Splitter looking at Cornell, Should I retake?

Postby minnbills » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:02 pm

I've got a 3.4 GPA (Transfer student who really screwed up freshman year) with LSAT scores at 162 and 168.

At this point, it looks like my only possibility to Cornell would be to ride the waitlist.

Should I retake? I already have a (relatively) low score and that 168 is above my 165 PT average. Would it really hurt me if I score lower? It's not really clear to me how T14 schools view multiple retakes.

I have an earlier thread on this other question, but does anyone think I have a chance at money at BU or BC?

Tiago Splitter

Re: Splitter looking at Cornell, Should I retake?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Looks like you have a shot at money from BC/BU if you get in.

http://bc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applican ... 11&type=jd

I think you've been on this site long enough to know that re-taking is the best option. Maybe let this cycle play out, and if you don't like the direction it heads re-take in June of 2012.

j12

Postby j12 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:16 pm

I wouldn't retake without a renewed dedication to prep and some evidence that you can do better. You said 165 was your average, but were you doing better than that over your last few PTs. If you think there's evidence you can consistently break 170 on PTs then I think a retake may be worth it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:21 pm

minnbills wrote:Would it really hurt me if I score lower?

This is the pertinent question. The answer is that it is not going to and you have a lot to gain if you do score higher.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:56 pm

j12 wrote:I wouldn't retake without a renewed dedication to prep and some evidence that you can do better. You said 165 was your average, but were you doing better than that over your last few PTs. If you think there's evidence you can consistently break 170 on PTs then I think a retake may be worth it.

I was doing better. The first time I took it my average was 164, the second time I studied I was scoring 168-172, though that was only across three tests.

This is the pertinent question. The answer is that it is not going to and you have a lot to gain if you do score higher.

Is there any evidence a retake resulting in a lower score could hurt?

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:23 pm

minnbills wrote:I've got a 3.4 GPA (Transfer student who really screwed up freshman year) with LSAT scores at 162 and 168.

At this point, it looks like my only possibility to Cornell would be to ride the waitlist.

Should I retake? I already have a (relatively) low score and that 168 is above my 165 PT average. Would it really hurt me if I score lower? It's not really clear to me how T14 schools view multiple retakes.

I have an earlier thread on this other question, but does anyone think I have a chance at money at BU or BC?

I had a 3.9 gpa and 163 lsat and cornell deferred me (applied EA) and then rejected me..and I went there for undergrad (NOT the hotel school)

Return to “What are my chances?”