Molecular Biology and Economics double major at UC San Diego

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tekumamba

Molecular Biology and Economics double major at UC San Diego

Postby tekumamba » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:59 pm

hey everyone,

I'm a molecular bio and economics double major at UCSD with a 3.92 gpa and a 171 on the LSAT. What are my chances with Y/H/S? I'm concerned because a 171 seems to be on the low side of the accepted LSATs for these schools according to their admissions pages. What should my expectations be?

I do have extensive laboratory research experience and some leadership experience (school public office, and some undergrad bio dept. leadership positions)

Thank you

dissonance1848

Re: Molecular Biology and Economics double major at UC San Diego

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:11 pm

You are out at all three, unless you have uber softs. If you can get that 171 up to a 173+, then Havard becomes a good shot.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:12 pm

are you a minority of some kindf?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:28 pm

I actually think the shot is decent, though there's also a good chance of striking out at all three.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Out at Yale because Yale.

Out at Harvard because no 173+ LSAT.

Out at Stanford because no work experience.

(PS - Harvard will hold you, and then waitlist you. But do not be deceived.)

tekumamba

Postby tekumamba » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:33 pm

No i'm not an underrepped minority... actually in my field i'm an overrepresented minority if there is such a thing. I'm indian.

Alright so I guess this means forget about top 3.. dang. lol i worked my ass off to get this close. thanks for the input guys

Do i still have a legitimate shot at the next few law schools down the list (columbia, chicago, etc), or am i dreaming in lala land if i think just numbers and 4 years of lab experience will get me into a top law school?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:48 pm

tekumamba wrote:No i'm not an underrepped minority... actually in my field i'm an overrepresented minority if there is such a thing. I'm indian.

Alright so I guess this means forget about top 3.. dang. lol i worked my ass off to get this close. thanks for the input guys

Do i still have a legitimate shot at the next few law schools down the list (columbia, chicago, etc), or am i dreaming in lala land if i think just numbers and 4 years of lab experience will get me into a top law school?

Your lab experience is completely irrelevant here. However, a 3.92 with a 171 should do alright at CCN.

tekumamba

Postby tekumamba » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:55 pm

ok thank you everyone (esp acrossthelake)

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:56 pm

If I were you, I'd use that GPA to nail scholarships at other schools in the T14.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:10 pm

It's still definitely worth applying to all 3. You have a low chance of getting into any of them, but the odds are definitely greater than 0. You should fare well at CCN and get money from all over the T14.

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:19 pm

3.89 170 molecular bio from cal here - got two out of CCN and out and HS (well actually still waitlisted at S. didn't apply to Y. don't ask me Y.)

I don't know what you will take from that, but if you have any questions or want to know my application strategy or something, i'll be happppy to answer. I also had about 3 years of bio lab experience. I know it's a TON of work and it feels like it will be super useful on an application just bc of the amt of time you put into it, but I don't think it helped all that much for me.

No matter how much you want to deny it, law school admissions is a numbers game.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:08 am

if you really want a top 3, why not retake? obviously you're not guaranteed a better score from a 171, but there's a chance.

also i thought S creamed itself over science people. then again, i guess the class is about 160 so...

Return to “What are my chances?”