Work Experience??

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lakers24fan

Work Experience??

Postby lakers24fan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:10 am

First post here on TLS, be gentle :D

I'm going into my junior year at a top-20 undergrad, and plan on taking a LSAT course next summer, then taking the LSAT next October. I know it may be a bit premature, but I'm trying to get a feel for where I can expect to be admitted -- straight from undergrad. From what I've read here it seems like post-undergrad "real-world experience" is looked on favorably by law schools, and I'm wondering whether going straight from undergrad to law school could hurt my chances at T14s. Here's my info:

URM Mexican Male
Double-major in Phil and Psychology
GPA: 3.88 (expect to get it up to at least 3.9 by the time of application)
(Projected :wink: ) LSAT score: 170
500+ hours of psychological lab research

1) Will my chances at T14 be hurt by applying straight from undergrad?

2) What are my chances at getting into T14?

Thanks!!! :mrgreen:

Bangalmafia

Re: Work Experience??

Postby Bangalmafia » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:15 am

Hey lakers24 fan.

1) No it won't hurt you. Except for Northwestern, which has a strong preference for work experience.

2) You have a really good shot at all 14. Here's how people with similar stats (and who are underrepresented minorities) did last year. http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=1011

Good luck man!

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:43 am

Get the LSAT score first -- you can't predict and you never know what will happen on test day. Not to scare you, but you can't really know your chances yet.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:46 am

lakers24fan wrote:First post here on TLS, be gentle :D

I'm going into my junior year at a top-20 undergrad, and plan on taking a LSAT course next summer, then taking the LSAT next October. I know it may be a bit premature, but I'm trying to get a feel for where I can expect to be admitted -- straight from undergrad. From what I've read here it seems like post-undergrad "real-world experience" is looked on favorably by law schools, and I'm wondering whether going straight from undergrad to law school could hurt my chances at T14s. Here's my info:

URM Mexican Male
Double-major in Phil and Psychology
GPA: 3.88 (expect to get it up to at least 3.9 by the time of application)
(Projected :wink: ) LSAT score: 170
500+ hours of psychological lab research

1) Will my chances at T14 be hurt by applying straight from undergrad?

2) What are my chances at getting into T14?

Thanks!!! :mrgreen:

Take a PT at the least. Being an URM and having a great GPA, you definitely have a good start.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:48 am

Bro. You just predicted a 98th%tile LSAT score without having even taken one.

LULZ

lakers24fan

Postby lakers24fan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Bangalmafia wrote:Hey lakers24 fan.

1) No it won't hurt you. Except for Northwestern, which has a strong preference for work experience.

2) You have a really good shot at all 14. Here's how people with similar stats (and who are underrepresented minorities) did last year. http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=1011

Good luck man!

Thanks for that info!!!

Grizz wrote:Bro. You just predicted a 98th%tile LSAT score without having even taken one.

LULZ

I took a practice LSAT with a buddy of mine about a month ago with simulated conditions and got a 173. Considering the facts that 1) it may have just been an outlier and/or 2) most people don't do as well on test day as they do on practice tests, I put "170" as an educated guess. LULZ

lakers24fan

Postby lakers24fan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Does anyone else have anything to say about how "real-world experience" affects admissions chances, or did Bangalmafia pretty much lay the nail on the head?

Klinklang

Postby Klinklang » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:19 pm

lakers24fan wrote:I took a practice LSAT with a buddy of mine about a month ago with simulated conditions and got a 173. Considering the facts that 1) it may have just been an outlier and/or 2) most people don't do as well on test day as they do on practice tests, I put "170" as an educated guess. LULZ
Okay, I'm jelly.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:58 am

lakers24fan wrote:Does anyone else have anything to say about how "real-world experience" affects admissions chances, or did Bangalmafia pretty much lay the nail on the head?

Harvard is trending more towards work experience, but at other schools WE is just a soft you don't have.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:04 am

I think for Yale as well - you need some exceptional softs to be admitted. I would say that for Yale, having the numbers is not enough. It may be enough for Harvard, but at Yale I imagine post-grad work experience, and prestigious experience at that, is helpful and almost necessary. Northwestern also requires work experience. At most of the other t-14 though, if you have the stats, it shouldn't keep you out.

lakers24fan

Postby lakers24fan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:28 pm

Samara wrote:
lakers24fan wrote:Does anyone else have anything to say about how "real-world experience" affects admissions chances, or did Bangalmafia pretty much lay the nail on the head?

Harvard is trending more towards work experience, but at other schools WE is just a soft you don't have.

Hmm... Harvard is probably my #1 choice... is not having work experience such a disadvantage that it could hurt one's chances of not getting admitted?

freestallion wrote:I think for Yale as well - you need some exceptional softs to be admitted. I would say that for Yale, having the numbers is not enough. It may be enough for Harvard, but at Yale I imagine post-grad work experience, and prestigious experience at that, is helpful and almost necessary. Northwestern also requires work experience. At most of the other t-14 though, if you have the stats, it shouldn't keep you out.

haha yeah, I figured Yale would be crazy, but to be honest I don't think I have any shot of getting into there.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:47 pm

lakers24fan wrote:
Samara wrote:

Hmm... Harvard is probably my #1 choice... is not having work experience such a disadvantage that it could hurt one's chances of not getting admitted?

I don't think it's at the point where it's a disadvantage. You have some decent softs, plus you're a URM. If you top 170, considering your URM status, you're practically a lock at Harvard.

lakers24fan

Postby lakers24fan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:41 am

Samara wrote:
lakers24fan wrote:
Samara wrote:

I don't think it's at the point where it's a disadvantage. You have some decent softs, plus you're a URM. If you top 170, considering your URM status, you're practically a lock at Harvard.

thanks!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:56 am

lakers24fan wrote:
Grizz wrote:Bro. You just predicted a 98th%tile LSAT score without having even taken one.

LULZ

I took a practice LSAT with a buddy of mine about a month ago with simulated conditions and got a 173. Considering the facts that 1) it may have just been an outlier and/or 2) most people don't do as well on test day as they do on practice tests, I put "170" as an educated guess. LULZ

Go look up a poster named Dr. Strangelove for a very lulzy high 170s to 165 drop from his PTs.

Work experience may not help you get in, but it may help you get a real job, so keep that in mind. Employers like experienced/more mature/demonstrably employable people.

lakers24fan

Postby lakers24fan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:32 am

Grizz wrote:
lakers24fan wrote:

LULZ

Go look up a poster named Dr. Strangelove for a very lulzy high 170s to 165 drop from his PTs.

Work experience may not help you get in, but it may help you get a real job, so keep that in mind. Employers like experienced/more mature/demonstrably employable people.

1) So what actual LSAT score should I be aiming for to have a decent (whatever "decent" means) shot at a school like Harvard or Stanford?

2) This is an honest-to-God question, and I don't mean to sound like an elitist prick, but do you think WE would really keep a firm from hiring someone if they had a law degree that said "Harvard" or "Stanford" on it?

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:24 pm

lakers24fan wrote:
Grizz wrote:
lakers24fan wrote:

LULZ

1) So what actual LSAT score should I be aiming for to have a decent (whatever "decent" means) shot at a school like Harvard or Stanford?

2) This is an honest-to-God question, and I don't mean to sound like an elitist prick, but do you think WE would really keep a firm from hiring someone if they had a law degree that said "Harvard" or "Stanford" on it?

Not to mention the work experience that the OP will presumably acquire over the 3 yrs of law school. I wouldn't worry too much.

OP, I envy the position you're in! Don't slack on the LSAT prep and I'm sure you'll be golden.

Return to “What are my chances?”