Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
allmodcons

Postby allmodcons » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

deadpanic

Re: 3.45/ 156 Rutgers-Newark?

Postby deadpanic » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:06 am

I think you have a pretty good shot - more than likely in. At the very worst, you are looking at a waitlist, but I'd be shocked if you were straight up rejected.

EDIT: If you retake though (good option), even if you ended up with a worse score it likely won't affect your cycle. You can still use your highest score.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:03 pm

RU-N is near the top of my list too. With your numbers, you're borderline..however, I would venture to say waitlisted or rejected. The low quartile [sometimes up to even the lower half] of their LSAT range is usually dominated by the part timers and URM's, so don't assume you're safe because you're a point above it. If you're willing and able to, taking the October test would be beneficial. You might get in with your numbers, but it could be a disappointing cycle if luck isn't on your side.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:07 pm

retake

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:13 pm

tagging; awaiting areyouinsane

(You'll probably get the waitlist)

BostonNJ

Postby BostonNJ » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:47 am

I had similar LSAT number last year and was wait-listed, my LSAC waited GPA however was much higher at a 3.71. Rutgers Newark is becoming much more selective. Acceptance rate for full time is what 18% for last year and 26% for partime (something like that)?

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:41 am

allmodcons wrote:Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

3.45 UGPA
156 LSAT (June '11)
non-URM
Political Science/ American Studies double major
lots of part-time WE, diverse softs, and 2 LORs that are Rutgers-influenced

Thoughts on my chances at Rutgers Newark?
Have been in the mindset of retaking in October but my studying has been lacking and I'm worried a worse score will push me into the deny pile.
Applying to a few other schools (Temple, Vermont, Penn State, etc.), but very much set on Rutgers-N because of low-tuition, essentially free housing for the duration of law school because of family, and a strong interest in staying in NJ after LS graduation)

Any advice is much appreciated!

Rutgers. I think Nando of Third Tier Reality may have done some work on them. Google it.

On a more serious note, I absolutely believe that you should do something else. Unless your greatest desire in life is to do doc review in Manhattan or Newark, then you should get out. When you graduate, you will be competing against at least NYU and Columbia grads plus anyone else who moves to the NYC area (like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cornell, and Penn grads). Do you really think an employer will take you over a Stanford grad? Things are so bad that there are Columbia and Michigan grads on the doc review circuit right now. Where do you think your Rutgers degree will land you in this glutted legal market? Cravath? Certainly not. More likely at http://us.hudson.com/legal/node.asp?kwd=managed-review.

Sorry for the bad news but law school is not a ticket to middle class status.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:47 pm

NoJob wrote:Rutgers. I think Nando of Third Tier Reality may have done some work on them. Google it.

On a more serious note, I absolutely believe that you should do something else. Unless your greatest desire in life is to do doc review in Manhattan or Newark, then you should get out. When you graduate, you will be competing against at least NYU and Columbia grads plus anyone else who moves to the NYC area (like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cornell, and Penn grads). Do you really think an employer will take you over a Stanford grad? Things are so bad that there are Columbia and Michigan grads on the doc review circuit right now. Where do you think your Rutgers degree will land you in this glutted legal market? Cravath? Certainly not. More likely at http://us.hudson.com/legal/node.asp?kwd=managed-review.

This is blatantly false. Where do I even start? First of all, there will be an insignificant amount of Stanford grads competing against Rutgers grads. Totally different markets. So that's a completely botched argument. Also, the Columbia and Michigan grads on doc review are complete f*ck-ups [ego's, personality disorders, etc]. They wouldn't have succeeded as lawyers in a good market. Rutgers is arguably the best TT school out there. Its employment rate at graduation is 78%, topping many T1 schools. That's generally not temp work or contract work or waiting tables. Why is it so high? Its because New Jersey firms are intensely loyal to Rutgers grads will gladly pass up NY-area grads given the chance. Rutgers is also one of the cheapest at $24k/year with automatic residency for all students. If you want to trash TT or TTT schools, feel free, but keep Rutgers out of it. Go troll somewhere else.

BostonNJ

Postby BostonNJ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:34 am

mrtoren wrote:
NoJob wrote:Rutgers. I think Nando of Third Tier Reality may have done some work on them. Google it.

This is blatantly false. Where do I even start? First of all, there will be an insignificant amount of Stanford grads competing against Rutgers grads. Totally different markets. So that's a completely botched argument. Also, the Columbia and Michigan grads on doc review are complete f*ck-ups [ego's, personality disorders, etc]. They wouldn't have succeeded as lawyers in a good market. Rutgers is arguably the best TT school out there. Its employment rate at graduation is 78%, topping many T1 schools. That's generally not temp work or contract work or waiting tables. Why is it so high? Its because New Jersey firms are intensely loyal to Rutgers grads will gladly pass up NY-area grads given the chance. Rutgers is also one of the cheapest at $24k/year with automatic residency for all students. If you want to trash TT or TTT schools, feel free, but keep Rutgers out of it. Go troll somewhere else.

Nicely said!

Return to “What are my chances?”