165/3.4

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
frostmo

165/3.4

Postby frostmo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:38 am

I'm a English/History double major with a minor in French from Baylor, and am a Texas resident. For what it's worth I haven't made less than a 3.8 since my sophomore year, and I'll be entering my 5th year this year. Would be willing to retake in October, and I plan on applying ASAP to all the schools.

Applying to:
Boston College, Boston U., American, George Washington, UT, SMU, Baylor, and U of Houston

Would prefer the Boston or DC schools, but really pretty unsure at this point. What do you think?

ebo

Re: 165/3.4

Postby ebo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:43 am

frostmo wrote:I'm a English/History double major with a minor in French from Baylor, and am a Texas resident. For what it's worth I haven't made less than a 3.8 since my sophomore year, and I'll be entering my 5th year this year. Would be willing to retake in October, and I plan on applying ASAP to all the schools.

Applying to:
Boston College, Boston U., American, George Washington, UT, SMU, Baylor, and U of Houston

Would prefer the Boston or DC schools, but really pretty unsure at this point. What do you think?

You need to retake if you want BC, BU, or GW.

Probably in at AU, SMU, UH, and Baylor.

Check lawschoolpredictor.com to give yourself a better idea of where you stand and what you need LSAT wise

EDIT: You definitely need to retake for UT as well...not sure how tough they are about GPAs
Last edited by ebo on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:45 am

Without a retake you will probably be out at BU, BC, UT, and GW.

You're got the #s for American but they may deny you to yield protect. I don't know anything about admissions practices at SMU, Baylor or Houston.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:47 am

minnbills wrote:Without a retake you will probably be out at BU, BC, UT, and GW.

You're got the #s for American but they may deny you to yield protect. I don't know anything about admissions practices at SMU, Baylor or Houston.

Nah AU doesn't YP. I got in with higher stats. They don't give schollies though. I think I got the highest - 10k. Not 10k every year, just 10k your first year.

WhiteCochran

Postby WhiteCochran » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:24 am

Two LSAT points would really help for UT/GW/BU/BC. Look at the graphs on LSP and you'll see that 167 has been kind of a magic number at GW/BU/BC the last couple of years. Even in this event UT looks like it would still be a stretch, but your TX residency should provide a notable boost.

Whether or not you retake (but especially if you don't), raising your GPA to 3.5+ would also be helpful (bordering on "necessary" for UT unless you score 170+ on a retake). With that 3.8 trend, this seems pretty doable if you have a full year left.

You should be a lock at all the other TX schools and American, with solid money ($20k-$30k) at Baylor and SMU (not so much at Houston only because they seem to be on the frugal side)

*based on a combo of my own experiences and about 5 mins on LSP

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:01 am

UT has a 3.5 floor that are pretty damn serious about.

Cross Baylor off your list, you'll get into better schools and it's not worth it.

UofH, SMU should be good with 165 for some money. Same with American.

BC, BU, and GWU will need a few more points.

Do you want to practice in Texas when you graduate? If so, then cross off BC and BU, and maybe GWU. You should be gunning for a higher GPA and a couple more points on the LSAT and going to UT.

FrozenCavemanLawyer

Postby FrozenCavemanLawyer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:17 pm

say if he really wanted to go to GW, should he apply to the PT program instead? i know their admission rate is much lower than the FT but their gpa and lsat score percentages are lower

FrozenCavemanLawyer

Postby FrozenCavemanLawyer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:05 am

since my numbers might be around here im bumping this subject up to see if anyone will respond to my inquiry about trying to get into GW part time

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:45 pm

PT is usually easier than FT. See if they break down PT medians on the website.

FrozenCavemanLawyer

Postby FrozenCavemanLawyer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:49 am

lsat and gpa numbers-wise it is easier to get into the program but they also have half the percentage acceptance rate of the full time program. that's why I'm curious about the difficulty of getting into the GW part time program.

Return to “What are my chances?”