Staying in school to bump GPA (slightly) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Stay an additional year?

YES
65%
NO
35%

Total votes: 23

Splitter12

New

Staying in school to bump GPA (slightly)

Post by Splitter12 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Long time lurker summoning the wisdom of TLS.

Would it be wise to postpone my graduation from the spring of next year, until the spring of 2013 in order to improve my GPA? I have the option of enrolling in classes for the purpose of acquiring another major (pretty common in my field).

The GPA would bump from 3.0X to 3.3X (assuming all A's of course).

June 11' LSAT: 173

BruceDenton

New

Re: Staying in school to bump GPA (slightly)

Post by BruceDenton » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Others more knowledgable than me will probably chime in, but I think that with an LSAT that high, you are looking at schools whose 25% GPAs are higher than the 3.3, so having a 3.0 or 3.3 won't make too much of a difference since they'll take a hit to their median GPA either way. That being said, they might have a GPA floor they don't go past, and if that falls between 3.0 and 3.3, it might be a worthwhile plan.

You should go to Law School Numbers and check out graphs for schools you are thinking of applying to; see where splitters' GPAs fall and whether there is any discernible difference in splitter acceptances in that GPA range.

Is this going to cost you much money? That's another consideration . . .

Splitter12

New

Post by Splitter12 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Financially speaking I wouldn't take a hit, my job offers full tuition reimbursement.

Although you bring up a good point regarding the GPA floor. I'm looking to reach in to the lower T14 and their 25th percentiles are well above my forecasted 3.3X.

Thank you for the reply.

aerogear

New

Post by aerogear » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Splitter12 wrote:Long time lurker summoning the wisdom of TLS.

Would it be wise to postpone my graduation from the spring of next year, until the spring of 2013 in order to improve my GPA? I have the option of enrolling in classes for the purpose of acquiring another major (pretty common in my field).

Go for it if you think you are capable/taking easy classes. A 3.0X - 3.3X bump is pretty significant IMO, especially when you are chasing after T14.

I'd consider applying with your 3.0X first and see where it takes you. If nothing works out then stay for the 3.3X and reapply next cycle.

IMO - You'll have a reasonable shot at MVP downwards (exclusion of Duke, and NU is iffy) with an ED.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 pm

why would you assume all A's if you have a B average?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:why would you assume all A's if you have a B average?
It's not a preposterous assumption. I had a B average and got straight As and A+s last year (taking much harder classes). If you got a bad GPA because of laziness or lack of motivation, then it's fairly easy to turn it around.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 pm

aerogear wrote:

Go for it if you think you are capable/taking easy classes. A 3.0X - 3.3X bump is pretty significant IMO, especially when you are chasing after T14.

I'd consider applying with your 3.0X first and see where it takes you. If nothing works out then stay for the 3.3X and reapply next cycle.

IMO - You'll have a reasonable shot at MVP downwards (exclusion of Duke, and NU is iffy) with an ED.
i actually think you would have a good chance at a school like NU, considering they value work experience and it sounds like you have some under your belt. other splitter friendly schools include Michigan, UVA, WUSTL, and Georgetown. I would be surprised if you couldn't get Georgetown with that kind of LSAT.

Splitter12

New

Post by Splitter12 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:02 am

moopness wrote:
It's not a preposterous assumption. I had a B average and got straight As and A+s last year (taking much harder classes). If you got a bad GPA because of laziness or lack of motivation, then it's fairly easy to turn it around.
The low GPA is actually due to some F's in my first years of school. GPA in the last two years >3.6

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:02 am

Also, youd have to put off LS a year. I dont think that raising your GPA that little is going to help you much, since the schools you get into are going to be based off of your LSAT score. Either way, youll be under the 25th GPA for the schools you get into. I would take a year off of life for that small advantage.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:05 am

Make sure with LSAC this would work. Since your GPA is calculated as all the classes you took before earning your first undergraduate degree, make sure the degree isn't conferred to you next year before you're able to take the additional classes. I don't know how to make sure that doesn't happen, other than saving back a class, but maybe others can chime in.

That said, if it would work and you're reasonably certain that you can get all As, I say go for it. Especially since it sounds like you'll be applying straight out of undergrad, which puts Northwestern likely out of reach. Like a previous poster said, a 3.3x will get you up over some schools' GPA floors.

rcweedman

New

Post by rcweedman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:13 am

that isn't mathematically possible unless you take 56 credit hours and get straight A's

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

*assuming you already have 128 credit hours with a 3.0 gpa*

Splitter12

New

Post by Splitter12 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:26 am

rcweedman wrote:

that isn't mathematically possible unless you take 56 credit hours and get straight A's

I don't have 128 credits yet (would be nice though!). Also, why do you assume 128? I only need 120 to graduate.
Samara wrote:

Make sure with LSAC this would work. Since your GPA is calculated as all the classes you took before earning your first undergraduate degree, make sure the degree isn't conferred to you next year before you're able to take the additional classes. I don't know how to make sure that doesn't happen, other than saving back a class, but maybe others can chime in.

That said, if it would work and you're reasonably certain that you can get all As, I say go for it. Especially since it sounds like you'll be applying straight out of undergrad, which puts Northwestern likely out of reach. Like a previous poster said, a 3.3x will get you up over some schools' GPA floors.
I actually took a few year long sabbaticals during my college carreer. Im not really worried of my work experience, I have 5+years in the insurance industry.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:29 am

If you can do this, and actually get a GPA increase that big, you should definitely do it. As mentioned, you have to postpone your graduation for it to work, though; classes stop counting toward your LSDAS GPA after your first degree is awarded. (Usually schools make you "apply" to graduate, and people who double-major can delay their graduation until they have both degrees by simply not applying for graduation until they have enough credits for both.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rcweedman

New

Post by rcweedman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Splitter12 wrote:
rcweedman wrote:

I don't have 128 credits yet (would be nice though!). Also, why do you assume 128? I only need 120 to graduate.
a typical degree at my undergrad required 128 credits. RC fail on my part for not noticing that you still have a year to go for your 1st bachelors degree.

Faceplant

New

Post by Faceplant » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:11 pm

How certain are you that the classes you take in that extra year are ones that you will be able to ace?

Splitter12

New

Post by Splitter12 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:42 am

Faceplant wrote:How certain are you that the classes you take in that extra year are ones that you will be able to ace?
Fairly confident. The classes I would take are similar to the ones that I take for my current major (also, most would be 3000 level courses). It also helps that I'm riding a pretty good streak of A's and A- for my last 10 classes (~3.83 GPA in these classes).

I also forgot to add, that I'm a non-URM Hispanic and like most in my situation I'm praying that this somehow helps.
Any other hispanic that might have some anecdotal evidence of a boost?

Splitter12

New

Post by Splitter12 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:51 am

UPDATE:

Spoke to an LSAC rep. and was told that my plan wouldn't fly. For the purposes of my GPA they will only take one major into consideration

Oh well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rcweedman

New

Post by rcweedman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:01 am

vanwinkle wrote:If you can do this, and actually get a GPA increase that big, you should definitely do it. As mentioned, you have to postpone your graduation for it to work, though; classes stop counting toward your LSDAS GPA after your first degree is awarded. (Usually schools make you "apply" to graduate, and people who double-major can delay their graduation until they have both degrees by simply not applying for graduation until they have enough credits for both.)
all credits earned before you are awarded your first degree will count toward your LSDAS GPA

I had 186 credit hours in my LSDAS GPA

Splitter12

New

Post by Splitter12 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:19 am

rcweedman wrote:all credits earned before you are awarded your first degree will count toward your LSDAS GPA

Did you complete a double-major or were all of these credits towards one degree?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:49 am

Splitter12 wrote:UPDATE:

Spoke to an LSAC rep. and was told that my plan wouldn't fly. For the purposes of my GPA they will only take one major into consideration

Oh well.
Is it because you could graduate? I think as long as you opt not to take a course required for graduation, they would have no choice but to accept all your grades. I think it would be different if you were going after a second degree. I would verify what they told you.

Theres a difference between having a double major and a second degree.

Faceplant

New

Post by Faceplant » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:01 pm

If you get your dual majors awarded at the same time then every credit hour you have taken will apply to your LSDAS GPA. If you get awarded a degree at the end of the sp '12 semester and then another degree at the end of the sp '13 semester, the credits you took in the fall of '12 and sp of 13 won't count toward your LSDAS GPA

If the lsdas person told you differently, they didn't understand your question and were giving you an answer to a different question.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:50 pm

Faceplant wrote:If you get your dual majors awarded at the same time then every credit hour you have taken will apply to your LSDAS GPA. If you get awarded a degree at the end of the sp '12 semester and then another degree at the end of the sp '13 semester, the credits you took in the fall of '12 and sp of 13 won't count toward your LSDAS GPA

If the lsdas person told you differently, they didn't understand your question and were giving you an answer to a different question.
This is exactly what I was thinking. So if you have everything you need for your first degree except like a gen ed or something, you could continue to work on another major and then not take that gen ed until your 'real' last semester.

rcweedman

New

Post by rcweedman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:59 pm

Splitter12 wrote:
rcweedman wrote:all credits earned before you are awarded your first degree will count toward your LSDAS GPA

Did you complete a double-major or were all of these credits towards one degree?
I only earned 1 bachelors degree

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”