international

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
goldsoundz

international

Postby goldsoundz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:32 am

Last edited by goldsoundz on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

TaipeiMort

Re: international, ethnic minority from china, 164, 3.4/87.

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:44 am

维吾尔族吗?

It will make good material for a personal statement.

It will not matter for a type of URM-boost. Usually, only Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, African Americans, and Native Americans will get a boost。

Which school do you attend in the PRC? I think that Qinghua and Beijing University will give a boost, I'm not sure if any of the other ones will give a significant boost.

goldsoundz

Postby goldsoundz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:54 am

TaipeiMort wrote:维吾尔族吗?

It will not matter for a type of URM-boost. Usually, only Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, African Americans, and Native Americans will get a boost。

Which school do you attend in the PRC? I think that Qinghua and Beijing University will give a boost, I'm not sure if any of the other ones will give a significant boost.
Last edited by goldsoundz on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:07 am

goldsoundz wrote:

nop, im a korean chinese, pretty common in us but not that common in china, especially in law schools.

my school is china university of political science and law, im pretty sure we don't have any advantage even against most of below par law schools of big universities.

Yeah. They only schools that give any boost are the best of the best, in the US it might be Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.

However, Adcomms will probably have at least heard of your school.

goldsoundz

Postby goldsoundz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:14 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
goldsoundz wrote:

nop, im a korean chinese, pretty common in us but not that common in china, especially in law schools.

my school is china university of political science and law, im pretty sure we don't have any advantage even against most of below par law schools of big universities.

Yeah. They only schools that give any boost are the best of the best, in the US it might be Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.

However, Adcomms will probably have at least heard of your school.
Last edited by goldsoundz on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:20 am

I would think your numbers would put you in play for the schools you listed. My (probably worthless) two cents is that adcoms would not consider you an ethnic minority. I also suspect that being a student in a Chinese law school will not be a boost either.

Would you consider an LSAT retake? 3-4 more points could be a game changer for you. Good luck.

goldsoundz

Postby goldsoundz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:27 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:I would think your numbers would put you in play for the schools you listed. My (probably worthless) two cents is that adcoms would not consider you an ethnic minority. I also suspect that being a student in a Chinese law school will not be a boost either.

Would you consider an LSAT retake? 3-4 more points could be a game changer for you. Good luck.
Last edited by goldsoundz on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:38 am

goldsoundz wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:I would think your numbers would put you in play for the schools you listed. My (probably worthless) two cents is that adcoms would not consider you an ethnic minority. I also suspect that being a student in a Chinese law school will not be a boost either.

thanx! i ve already registered for the october lsat test, but i think i ll withdraw it soon, coz now the september chinese BAR exam (passing rate: 10%) is killing me, so the only way out is to give up the lsat.

Confused. Why do you care about the Chinese bar right now if you plan on coming over here (the US) for three more years of schooling?

goldsoundz

Postby goldsoundz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:52 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
goldsoundz wrote:

thanx! i ve already registered for the october lsat test, but i think i ll withdraw it soon, coz now the september chinese BAR exam (passing rate: 10%) is killing me, so the only way out is to give up the lsat.

Confused. Why do you care about the Chinese bar right now if you plan on coming over here (the US) for three more years of schooling?
Last edited by goldsoundz on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:56 am

goldsoundz wrote:well, who knows where i gonna be after 3 years of schooling. in the greater china market, doing china related law jobs, you still need a china bar. and its much much much harder to get a chinese bar, whose test is full of memorizing law codes, interpretations and propaganda lies, when you have already left chinese law school for more than three years.

also, since theres no test center in beijing for the october lsat, retaking means that i have to get a hong kong visa (its funny that you need a visa to go to somewhere in your own country, but its true) and fly more than one thousand miles to hong kong. its an away match, so there are too many variables in it. i dont want to get a lower score (which is highly possible) and screw the whole things up.

Gotcha. Good luck with the bar.

goldsoundz

Postby goldsoundz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
goldsoundz wrote:well, who knows where i gonna be after 3 years of schooling. in the greater china market, doing china related law jobs, you still need a china bar. and its much much much harder to get a chinese bar, whose test is full of memorizing law codes, interpretations and propaganda lies, when you have already left chinese law school for more than three years.

also, since theres no test center in beijing for the october lsat, retaking means that i have to get a hong kong visa (its funny that you need a visa to go to somewhere in your own country, but its true) and fly more than one thousand miles to hong kong. its an away match, so there are too many variables in it. i dont want to get a lower score (which is highly possible) and screw the whole things up.

Gotcha. Good luck with the bar.

thanx!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:28 am

goldsoundz wrote:my school is china university of political science and law, im pretty sure we don't have any advantage even against most of below par law schools of big universities.

goldsoundz wrote:well, who knows where i gonna be after 3 years of schooling. in the greater china market, doing china related law jobs, you still need a china bar.

It sounds like you're getting a law degree in China already. Is it a bachelor's of law, something like an LLB? If so, then you should probably look at applying to LLM programs. An LLM is a one-year degree offered to people who already have a law degree (LLB, JD, or equivalent), and (if you meet certain requirements) it's possible to take the bar and be admitted in US jurisdictions after receiving an LLM. I don't think the LSAT is even used to apply for an LLM.

I know Harvard admits a number of LLMs each year, and I've met people who came from all over the world to get an LLM and then return home to practice. They get the added value of a Harvard degree and the credentials needed to practice American law. As far as I know, most/all of the top law schools here offer LLM programs. Typically they restrict admission to international students; Harvard does admit some Americans who have JDs, but their program focuses on offering space to people from overseas. You should look into this. Given that you have top grades from one of the top schools in China, you'd probably have a much better chance at getting into a top LLM program than a top JD program, if you're qualified.

polaris769

Postby polaris769 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:36 am

vanwinkle wrote:
goldsoundz wrote:my school is china university of political science and law, im pretty sure we don't have any advantage even against most of below par law schools of big universities.

goldsoundz wrote:well, who knows where i gonna be after 3 years of schooling. in the greater china market, doing china related law jobs, you still need a china bar.

It sounds like you're getting a law degree in China already. Is it a bachelor's of law, something like an LLB? If so, then you should probably look at applying to LLM programs. An LLM is a one-year degree offered to people who already have a law degree (LLB, JD, or equivalent), and (if you meet certain requirements) it's possible to take the bar and be admitted in US jurisdictions after receiving an LLM. I don't think the LSAT is even used to apply for an LLM.

I know Harvard admits a number of LLMs each year, and I've met people who came from all over the world to get an LLM and then return home to practice. They get the added value of a Harvard degree and the credentials needed to practice American law. As far as I know, most/all of the top law schools here offer LLM programs. Typically they restrict admission to international students; Harvard does admit some Americans who have JDs, but their program focuses on offering space to people from overseas. You should look into this. Given that you have top grades from one of the top schools in China, you'd probably have a much better chance at getting into a top LLM program than a top JD program, if you're qualified.

Well, it really depends on the state regarding whether the state bar commission will allow you to take the bar exam without a JD from an ABA accredited law school. Also, China's not a common law country, right, and a bunch of states that will waive the requirement of having a JD from an ABA accredited school for LLM students still require that your original JD be from a law school in a common law country.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 am

polaris769 wrote:Well, it really depends on the state regarding whether the state bar commission will allow you to take the bar exam without a JD from an ABA accredited law school. Also, China's not a common law country, right, and a bunch of states that will waive the requirement of having a JD from an ABA accredited school for LLM students still require that your original JD be from a law school in a common law country.

These are good points. I wasn't saying OP should definitely just switch to seeking an LLM, I was saying he should look into whether it's an option for him. You could be right, I honestly don't know, and I also don't know what OP is looking to accomplish by getting an American law degree. An LLM might work for him, it might not, but it's worth looking into as an alternative.

Edit: While the New York Bar has a "substantive" requirement of a qualifying degree, requiring that the law degree be substantively based in the common law, it permits you to "cure" the deficiency as long as your education meets the other requirements by taking at least 20 credit hours of study at a US-accredited law school that includes common law education. This is basically what the LLM is for. Beginning with the 2012-2013 academic year, they've changed the rules so that the "cure" provision explicitly requires an LLM degree, and adds other more specific requirements. However, it looks like, even from a non-common-law country, it's at least possible to take the New York bar after getting a qualifying LLM from an accredited US law school.

More information here:

http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/C ... NY_bar.pdf
http://www.nybarexam.org/Foreign/Foreig ... cation.htm

Since the New York bar is probably one of the most valuable to international law practitioners, I just thought I'd note that as an example of how an LLM might be useful.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

He is seeking a JD because it is the threshold degree for most international law firms. ITE LLMs will really help with the domestic China job search, and are many times almost a prerequisite to partner track in prestigious firms like King & Wood and Junhe. However, working for an American satellite, or working on American soil or in London, Singapore, and Hong Kong most likely requires a JD right now. It might change in an economic boom.

goldsoundz

Postby goldsoundz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:15 am

vanwinkle wrote:

Last edited by goldsoundz on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldsoundz

Postby goldsoundz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:34 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

He is seeking a JD because it is the threshold degree for most international law firms. ITE LLMs will really help with the domestic China job search, and are many times almost a prerequisite to partner track in prestigious firms like King & Wood and Junhe. However, working for an American satellite, or working on American soil or in London, Singapore, and Hong Kong most likely requires a JD right now. It might change in an economic boom.

Return to “What are my chances?”