Chances at PA schools? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bport hopeful

Gold

Re: Chances at PA schools?

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:44 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:Yea, the OP should take it in October. That is clear. But a January application isn't gonna change THAT much
A january application will likely not change your acceptances too much, but it can have a huge effect on your scholly situation, especially at Pitt.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:48 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:Yea, the OP should take it in October. That is clear. But a January application isn't gonna change THAT much
A january application will likely not change your acceptances too much, but it can have a huge effect on your scholly situation, especially at Pitt.
+1 ( to the scholly thing, I don't know about Pitt per se)

Fact is that schools run out of scholly money well before they run out of places in their class.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:13 pm

firemed wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
+1 ( to the scholly thing, I don't know about Pitt per se)

Fact is that schools run out of scholly money well before they run out of places in their class.
Pitt is a state school for starters, and they throw small schollies around and will run out of money. After February or so, they pretty much stop handing out money.

But yeah, we are on the same page. Get your shit in early.

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:15 pm

I'll take the extra 4 months of study time than the slight advantage you may gain by having the app in before January.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:17 pm

psm11 wrote:
I'll take the extra 4 months of study time than the slight advantage you may gain by having the app in before January.
You could do both. PA schools wont care, except Penn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:38 pm

bport hopeful wrote: I applied to Pitt late with a 3.2 and a 166 and got accepted. They tried not giving me money, which I considered bullshit and told them Id go to a better school for less money than, and they gave me 14k, which will renew if you stay in the top half of your class. That with Pitt connections and in state tuition makes Pitt a really could deal.
I had a similar experience with a law school--they gave me no money (but accepted me REALLY early in the cycle--around October). However, I sent them an email, detailing specific reasons why I wanted to attend their school, but I wouldn't be able to if I received no money. They then offered me around 23k/year.

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:39 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Get your shit in early.
Definitely.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:39 pm

GatorStudent wrote:
bport hopeful wrote: I applied to Pitt late with a 3.2 and a 166 and got accepted. They tried not giving me money, which I considered bullshit and told them Id go to a better school for less money than, and they gave me 14k, which will renew if you stay in the top half of your class. That with Pitt connections and in state tuition makes Pitt a really could deal.
I had a similar experience with a law school--they gave me no money (but accepted me REALLY early in the cycle--around October). However, I sent them an email, detailing specific reasons why I wanted to attend their school, but I wouldn't be able to if I received no money. They then offered me around 23k/year.
It works if youre willing to try it. I really wanted to go to Pitt, but it was the lowest ranked LS I applied to, and I couldnt justify going without money.

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:12 pm

bport hopeful wrote: It works if youre willing to try it. I really wanted to go to Pitt, but it was the lowest ranked LS I applied to, and I couldnt justify going without money.
Yeah, it definitely does work, especially if you give solid reasons and you have "good" acceptances. I got more money from quite a few schools doing that, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Let's say you get in with very little or no scholly. If you do well your first year do law schools offer you any money for the 2 or 3 years?

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:36 pm

psm11 wrote:Let's say you get in with very little or no scholly. If you do well your first year do law schools offer you any money for the 2 or 3 years?
IIRC, it depends on the school. My school did, but it wasn't much, you had to actually apply for it, and they didn't offer many scholarships.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:39 pm

You guys have been incredibly helpful and reading your insightful responses has helped me a lot in thinking about my options. However, I fell it best to wait until the December test to truly be prepared for this sitting (in the process of ordering a ton of prep tests). I understand that the October test would be the best option, but I feel I will most likely sell myself short of my potential. Here is my hypothetical: Assume I do fairly well on the December test (161+) apply and get in at Pitt but with no/minimal scholarship. Could I defer my acceptance to next year in order to become eligible for the scholarship? Would they frown upon this or realize that scholarship is really a make or break factor in deciding where to go? I don't have a problem waiting a year if it means saving myself from burdensome debt. Thanks again.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Kage3212 wrote:You guys have been incredibly helpful and reading your insightful responses has helped me a lot in thinking about my options. However, I fell it best to wait until the December test to truly be prepared for this sitting (in the process of ordering a ton of prep tests). I understand that the October test would be the best option, but I feel I will most likely sell myself short of my potential. Here is my hypothetical: Assume I do fairly well on the December test (161+) apply and get in at Pitt but with no/minimal scholarship. Could I defer my acceptance to next year in order to become eligible for the scholarship? Would they frown upon this or realize that scholarship is really a make or break factor in deciding where to go? I don't have a problem waiting a year if it means saving myself from burdensome debt. Thanks again.
Youd get in with those numbers the next year likely, and if you applied early, youd likely get a scholarship. Apply all over. Get some schollys and use them as leverage.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”