Not sure what to do

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
awj

Not sure what to do

Postby awj » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 am

I'm a junior at a top ten university, and I've recently started thinking about law school. I was formerly premed, but decided against it as I wasn't successful and am not well suited to it. I just have no idea where I stand, because I have some poor grades from when I was pre-med. I have two C+'s and 2 C's in organic chemistry and math. I have mostly A's otherwise, with a 3.35 overall. I just don't know whether those bad individual grades will kill my chances. I'm not looking to go too high obviously, but I'm worried about getting into even a modest law school. I really feel that I can kill the LSAT, but that doesn't mean much until its done. I just really would appreciate some input.

NYC Law

Re: Not sure what to do

Postby NYC Law » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:54 am

You're fine if you do kill the LSAT. Just focus on that and pulling up your grades for the remainder of your time. You probably won't be able to get Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Berkeley, etc... but you can still get some pretty good law schools with money if you do well enough on the LSAT. Relax, MANY have been in the same situation you're in.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:55 am

Yeah, your 3.35 is going to close some doors for you (law schools unfortunately will not discount the premed grades), but you can still get into a killer law school depending on your LSAT.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:18 am

I think you should tailor your major and work on getting a good job after graduation, especially since you go to a top 10 school. I would hope that if TLS visitors learn anything, it's that going to law school is not a good "ahh, what the heck" backup plan when all else fails.

How does flaming out in chemistry make you decide that, suddenly, you want to become a lawyer so bad that it's worth putting off gainful employment another 3-4 years? Unfortunately, with your GPA, even getting gainful employment after law school is not a given. Presumably, Biglaw would be your target. If you were able to finish with a 3.4 and break 170 (both uphill battles), LSP gives you a "Consider" in the NCGT range. This might give you a 50/50 chance of Biglaw, assuming (big assumption) that legal hiring is the same or better four years from now than it is today. Of course, you'd also have $200k in debt.

Your backup plan, if such things still exist in four years, would probably be some kind of $50k type job that allows you some kind of loan forgiveness. This is where you are in a far better position than many people facing the "WTF do I do now? LAWL SKOOL??" decision. You still have a whole year left at a top UG. There must be a way you can be making more money, four years earlier, working fewer hours, and with less debt. Is it worth the gamble? Is being a lawyer everything you ever wanted?

While spending the next year cultivating as many career options as humanly possible, you should get serious about LSAT PTs if your interest in the law is legitimate. If you're a 176 type, we could instead be talking about a top 5 LS or significantly less debt.

awj

Postby awj » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:28 am

I'm not interested in doing big law necessarily, I've always somewhat considered doing law because my dad's in the business. It's not as glamorous, but he's given us a great life in private practice, so I guess that's kinda the model for me. I'm also looking into other options; I'm planning on an internship at a biotech corp. this next summer.

Return to “What are my chances?”