3.92/169 T14 help

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lilasiaboi

3.92/169 T14 help

Postby lilasiaboi » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:45 pm

I took the June lsat and attend a top 20 college with a 3.92 gpa. What are my chances at T14? Ideally, I would like to get into CCN, but I'm not too sure about my chances with my numbers. Should I apply early or retake the lsat for a better score?

moopness

Re: 3.92/169 T14 help

Postby moopness » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:54 pm

Your best bet at ccn would be to ED to NYU, but I'm not sure your chances are all that great (they're not bad either, though). Within the t14 you'd have a chance at Berk, most likely in at cornell, georgetown and texas, and decent shots at mvpd.

ETA: DEFINITELY retake. You could get YHS with a score 175+

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:15 am

Normally I would say about 40 percent on each with those numbers. But in your case I would say much less...likely about 10 percent. If you can't be bothered to use law school predictor to generally see what your chances are, then I doubt you will put together a strong application.

Obviously I am being an ass...but...

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:52 pm

admisionquestion wrote:Normally I would say about 40 percent on each with those numbers. But in your case I would say much less...likely about 10 percent. If you can't be bothered to use law school predictor to generally see what your chances are, then I doubt you will put together a strong application.

Obviously I am being an ass...but..

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:57 pm

I am basically a numbers twin, except slightly higher GPA. I got into Chicago and NYU. I also got into Michigan and Penn (which is where I am going). I could've got into UVa if I wanted (just had to switch my app to ED). I EDed to CLS but am on the WL.

So, in sum, decent shot at CCN and good shot at MVP.

Also note - this cycle will be even easier than mine, so you're in good shape.

ImpatientlyWaiting

Postby ImpatientlyWaiting » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:59 pm

admisionquestion wrote:Normally I would say about 40 percent on each with those numbers. But in your case I would say much less...likely about 10 percent. If you can't be bothered to use law school predictor to generally see what your chances are, then I doubt you will put together a strong application.

What is the point of the "What are my chances?" forum if the standard response is to say the OP should use law school predictor?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:59 pm

lilasiaboi wrote:I took the June lsat and attend a top 20 college with a 3.92 gpa. What are my chances at T14? Ideally, I would like to get into CCN, but I'm not too sure about my chances with my numbers. Should I apply early or retake the lsat for a better score?

Honestly, you could change your cycle DRASTICALLY by retaking. I'm talking breaking into the T6 (not to mention probably H), getting some serious money (think multiple full schollies at T14s). But before I encourage it too much: how much did you study for June, and what was your cold diag/average PT score while studying?

lilasiaboi

Postby lilasiaboi » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:48 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
lilasiaboi wrote:I took the June lsat and attend a top 20 college with a 3.92 gpa. What are my chances at T14? Ideally, I would like to get into CCN, but I'm not too sure about my chances with my numbers. Should I apply early or retake the lsat for a better score?

Honestly, you could change your cycle DRASTICALLY by retaking. I'm talking breaking into the T6 (not to mention probably H), getting some serious money (think multiple full schollies at T14s). But before I encourage it too much: how much did you study for June, and what was your cold diag/average PT score while studying?

I studied a month for the June test. My cold diag was 161 and I was averaging 170 on my PTs right before the June test. I suppose I will retake in October after some more preparation.

Although I used both Law School Predictor and Horumd, I still only have a very basic understanding of my chances, for I only see numbers in those results. What i hope to acquire is a more in depth understanding of what those numbers mean and what courses of action I should take to improve my chances.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:55 pm

lawschoolnumbers.com is far superior to LSP and Horumd as far as usefulness goes, in my experience. http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/users

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:41 pm

Hey Dany! Since you seem really knowledgeable about everything, I have a question when searching on lsn. I'm a 4.06/170, and there's only one other person with similar numbers. Does it make sense to compare myself with applicants who had a 4.0/171 last cycle if our index numbers are the same? Would schools consider us equally? Thanks!

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:54 pm

I studied a month for the June test. My cold diag was 161 and I was averaging 170 on my PTs right before the June test. I suppose I will retake in October after some more preparation.

Normally I am against the very automatic retake response in situations, but you can prepare much more seriously than that. If CNN is what you want, take the test in October, and get a 172+ and pick which CNN you would like to go to attend and/or make YHS a real possibility.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:58 pm

TLSNYC wrote:I am basically a numbers twin, except slightly higher GPA. I got into Chicago and NYU. I also got into Michigan and Penn (which is where I am going). I could've got into UVa if I wanted (just had to switch my app to ED). I EDed to CLS but am on the WL.

So, in sum, decent shot at CCN and good shot at MVP.

Also note - this cycle will be even easier than mine, so you're in good shape.

This is exactly right for a 169 / 3.9x. You probably won't see much money though until you hit Duke or so. Michigan might throw you a little bone if you get in.

Also - make sure you write solid "Why" essays for MVPBD. Otherwise they will most likely waitlist you. A why essay at CCN won't help as much, they know why you want to go there.

If you have some spare cash, you should apply to Stanford. It's a crapshoot but your numbers won't keep you out.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:14 pm

lilasiaboi wrote:I studied a month for the June test. My cold diag was 161 and I was averaging 170 on my PTs right before the June test. I suppose I will retake in October after some more preparation.

Yeah....study more than just a month. If you really apply yourself I can't imagine that you won't be able to break 170, and that will seriously make your cycle spectacular. (:

What did you do to study the first time?

lilasiaboi

Postby lilasiaboi » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:34 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
lilasiaboi wrote:I studied a month for the June test. My cold diag was 161 and I was averaging 170 on my PTs right before the June test. I suppose I will retake in October after some more preparation.

Yeah....study more than just a month. If you really apply yourself I can't imagine that you won't be able to break 170, and that will seriously make your cycle spectacular. (:

What did you do to study the first time?

I studied Powerscore LG and LR Bibles and took around 16 PTs under timed settings. My main problem is RC, which killed me on the June test, so I'm studying the Manhattan RC book right now.

Return to “What are my chances?”