Chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
HellOnHeels

Chances?

Postby HellOnHeels » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:58 pm

Last edited by HellOnHeels on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: Chances?

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:59 pm

You can figure out your hypothetical chances at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi! I live in your area :)

I will tell you that on LSP you are a deny most places in the area with a 3.06/160 (including Maryland), which usually means that you won't even be considered. It says that Catholic you are a "consider" (options are deny, weak consider, consider, strong consider, admit). Baltimore has you as an admit.

I think most on this board will tell you to avoid Baltimore in this economic climate, especially in a market as competitive as DC. It will likely be very difficult to find a job, even a low-paying one, and you will have to pay a hefty amount of debt back. Given your other academic background, you probably have far better employment prospects right now.

I have friends who are successful defense attorneys after coming out of Catholic in the much better economic climate of the late 90ish. They work hard though, running their own small private practices usually after years as well-performing prosecutors.

I don't want to be a downer- just consider working hard and getting your LSAT up to where it needs to be to be considered at Maryland or up your odds of admission at Catholic - at 165 puts you in that category at Catholic and moves you from deny to an even consider at Maryland. I think this is your best bet of finding a good fit in a law school and having decent job prospects when you graduate :)

Best of luck!

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:29 pm

Last edited by HellOnHeels on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:30 pm

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:34 pm

stephinmd wrote:Thanks! I'm hoping that another two months of studying (while working full time eek!) will give me better numbers. My diagnostic test that I took untimed gave me a score of 148 two weeks ago, and now I'm taking the preptests under LSAT conditions and just got two 160s in a row (Friday night and this morning).

Study study study!

Read all the prep guides on here. If you really want to do this, don't be afraid of delaying your test until December or even taking next year and applying next cycle. Make sure you are familiar with the advice from TLS regarding the dangers of paying sticker at a lower ranked school. Understand the bimodal salary distribution for lawyers, your realistic prospect from the schools you want to attend (not the prospects for students who attended before the economic downturn) and what the repayments would be on your predicted debt load.

Delaying to December can make admission harder, but not by so much that an extra couple of LSAT points wouldn't mitigate it. Applying next year with a June LSAT and a much higher score would be the option that maximizes admission chances.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Study harder for the LSAT and aim higher. Are you using the resources available to you in the LSAT forum? Do you have a schedule, practice tests, and supplements?

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Return to “What are my chances?”