167/3.77 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jrg0607

New

167/3.77

Post by jrg0607 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm a chemistry/anthropology double major from a top 30 school. I will have a BS/BA in May of 2012. My GPA is a 3.77 and my LSAT (which I only took once) was a 167. Chemistry classes are difficult.

I run marathons, I'm an officer of mock trial, I've established two clubs, and I'm head of a major charity project on campus (as well as a few other things). During the summers, I work in the chemistry lab on campus.

I want to be an intellectual property lawyer and I want to go to a school that has a great program for that. I'm going to apply to GW early decision. What are my chances that I will get any type of scholarship there? Doesn't need to be a full scholarship (although, that would be incredible...) - but I am going to be paying for law school myself, so scholarships are factored into my decision.

I also will be applying to other schools: cardozo, UC berkeley, Duke, Boston University. Chances of getting in/scholarships? Will my science major from a research university make a difference?

any tips?

confusedlaw

Silver

Re: 167/3.77

Post by confusedlaw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:26 pm

if the 167 was your first try, why not retake for 170+?

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:33 pm

jrg0607 wrote:I'm a chemistry/anthropology double major from a top 30 school. I will have a BS/BA in May of 2012. My GPA is a 3.77 and my LSAT (which I only took once) was a 167. Chemistry classes are difficult.

I run marathons, I'm an officer of mock trial, I've established two clubs, and I'm head of a major charity project on campus (as well as a few other things). During the summers, I work in the chemistry lab on campus.

I want to be an intellectual property lawyer and I want to go to a school that has a great program for that. I'm going to apply to GW early decision. What are my chances that I will get any type of scholarship there? Doesn't need to be a full scholarship (although, that would be incredible...) - but I am going to be paying for law school myself, so scholarships are factored into my decision.

I also will be applying to other schools: cardozo, UC berkeley, Duke, Boston University. Chances of getting in/scholarships? Will my science major from a research university make a difference?

any tips?
From the bolded I can tell you have not looked into this too much. If you are accepted to GW under early decision you receive a full tuition scholarship. You should look around a bit more at GW and other schools before deciding to make a binding commitment.

Your softs are ok bordering on good. You ought to retake the LSAT and broaden your options a bit. Even if you don't retake you might be able to get a school better than GW, I got Michigan this cycle with stats very similar to yours.

jrg0607

New

Post by jrg0607 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:09 pm

I've definitely looked into the ED at GW quite a bit. I know ED is a long shot, but I also know that those not accepted ED will be considered for regular decision. this means that I'm still eligible for other scholarships. I was just curious what my chances are in terms of getting any money from GW (or Cardozo).

As much as I'd like to retake the LSAT - it's honestly not feasible with scheduling conflicts - at least not for the October LSAT. I took the test in February. I haven't been able to get back up to the 167 score consistently (I've taken another few practice tests). I may try again, but I doubt I'd be able to increase my score by that much.

confusedlaw

Silver

Post by confusedlaw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:07 pm

i got a 30k offer from cardozo in the middle of july after my june retake of 167 so you will def get money there

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:09 pm

confusedlaw wrote:i got a 30k offer from cardozo in the middle of july after my june retake of 167 so you will def get money there
with a 167 you should get minimum 120k from card

confusedlaw

Silver

Post by confusedlaw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:17 pm

like i said it was in july after most money was gone, so op should have a good shot at a lot of money

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:19 pm

op: there is a huge diff between gw and yu.. these are not peers at all in employment or rep.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”