New and Depressing Situation. PLEASE HELP

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yngblkgifted

Re: New and Depressing Situation. PLEASE HELP

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:28 pm

$1.99 wrote:why does columbia have a rep for being douches?

Because it is full of people like the OP, at least so I am told.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:49 pm

damn i was about to go there too. any evidence to support that claim? seems like there would be prestige sluts everywhere in the T14

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:55 pm

$1.99 wrote:damn i was about to go there too. any evidence to support that claim? seems like there would be prestige sluts everywhere in the T14

Why the fuck does the student body matter? Just make friends with the decent ones, shun the dicks, and do what you have to do for a job.

HamDel

Postby HamDel » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:07 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

Right, because NYU, Chicago, Penn et al are full of really cool people... Believe it or not there are a ton of massive douches in every law school. This guy would fit right in at any of the top 10, don't kid yourselves.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:28 pm

HamDel wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

Right, because NYU, Chicago, Penn et al are full of really cool people... Believe it or not there are a ton of massive douches in every law school. This guy would fit right in at any of the top 10, don't kid yourselves.

Not at Boalt. We have them, but they are shunned.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:51 pm

You're in trouble OP. Enjoy Cooley.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:15 am

Depressing?

Talk about 1st world problems. In all seriousness, OP, you need to be aware that most applicants would loooove to have your now "depressing" stats. I sure hope you don't talk about this outside the board, because most people will draw negative conclusions pretty quick.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:45 am

With a 3.68/178, you're probably not getting H.

If it makes you feel better, your chances weren't that great with the 3.74, either. YSH like their GPAs.

You'll get CCN, though.

I think you were kidding when you said this, but I just never know with students like you (you remind me a lot of some of my UG friends), so I'll just mention that getting a C without taking the final is indeed very impressive and mentioning it in your addendum will mitigate the negative impact of your CC grades not impressive.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:29 am

$1.99 wrote:damn i was about to go there too. any evidence to support that claim? seems like there would be prestige sluts everywhere in the T14

I doubt it. Maybe rumors, but I have a feeling (especially from talking to people and studying at such universities before) that you will find people at all the T-14 that are...less than desirable flat mates. Its true of any elite university though. The only person I knew from my undergrad to attend Columbia LS was a stand-up guy who married my college teammate/roommate. They are stellar, down-to-earth people -he's from MA, she's from Indiana. Both come from upper middle class, well-educated families and all - but not an elitist bone in their bodies. They went to my home state, Oregon, and a big state school to do their master's prior to Columbia. I'm not sure if he stuck with his desire to study Environmental Law once there, but I am reasonably sure that he is still the same great guy I knew back in UG.

PS- Go check out the "discuss your schools" threads. I found that an interesting small sample of the types of people you may meet at any given law school - I think no matter where you go, it will be a variety.

bruss

Postby bruss » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:42 am

Wtf is this?!?! *Whaa my gpa and lsat are so high but I can't even consider the possibility that if I write a good ps and have great softs that I will get into the school of my dreams Whaa* Gtfo op

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:14 am

Last edited by Yukos on Mon May 11, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:49 am

Yukos wrote:So just so I'm clear, the CC class I took 9 years ago when I was a high school freshman will now lower my LSAC GPA? That's pretty lame.

Also, Is that kind of stuff addenda worthy?

I think the answer is: yes. And yes, write an addendum which may help some, but in the end, the numbers they report to USNWR are the ones LSAC calculates. I don't think a single grade should matter much, but for some it becomes a detriment I suppose.

I didn't even realize I had CC credit. I guess I never looked too closely at my UG transcripts. I had taken and passed some AP courses in high school. I was told at the time, most UG institutions would accept them for credit because they were considered "college level." I sent in all my transcripts to LSAC and then suddenly I needed two more, one from the CC in my hometown and the other from GWU for summer study abroad program. I was under the impression, they needed them because they showed on my UG transcript since I used them to opt out of basic courses my first year and a skip a year of language instruction with the summer abroad program. That made them show up as transfer credits on my UG transcript, hence needing the transcripts. I would not have thought I would need them otherwise, but someone else has said that is not so. CC credits count regardless as UG work, even when in high school? I am not sure, but doing it wrong could get you kicked out of the process so if there is any question (and there clearly is), I would call LSAC and explain the situation.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:53 am

firemed wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
firemed wrote:
They have to calculate it into his/her GPA because it was a college course. LSAC clearly states that ALL college courses attempted will be factored in, and ALL transcripts must be sent. If OP fails to send that transcript and they later find out about it OP could potentially be thrown out of school or fail C&F when applying for the bar.

ETA: also you are way nice to go to LSN for the OP.

Ah, I guess I had heard "all classes since high school" and took that to mean, post high-school graduation. I know they asked for my CC transcript (which I didn't even know I had btw since I took the AP courses at my high school), but I figured it was because I used a few credits to opt out of low level courses I wasn't interested in taking. Wow though! They should really be clear with kids in high school that is the case. I am pretty sure no one even mentioned to me that opting to take AP courses over regular courses could affect my law school prospects. Whew whew whew that I took high school seriously. Talk about dodging a bullet you never saw coming.

No... no... MumofCad...

Not AP, which your UG transcript should handle (you simply get CR or something as a grade for that). I mean that some people actually take CC courses in their junior/senior years of HS. I was surprised to find my lab partner at a CC was still in high school (and embarrassed because I had been swearing like a sailor).

Though, I suppose your AP courses could be graded by the local CC... but mine weren't, I just took an exam at the end and applied it to my first UG institution. (interesting note: I later took ENG 101 at another institution where my AP didn't get applied... it was AWFUL. I am so glad I got to skip that at 18 or I probably would've dropped out even sooner from my first UG).

I wasn't aware of it, but apparently they were! See my explanation of how I found out above. Sure enough, on my UG transcript it said "Transfer credit from X CC". I was SHOCKED as I had never even set foot at that school. To my knowledge, I never filled out any paperwork or enrolled there....nothing. It doesn't effect me as my GPA was the same in high school as UG. I've never seen the transcript, but I can't imagine they would change the grades I received from the high school in any way.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:54 am

Yes, your situation is truly a novelty. Enjoy Penn, bro.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:03 am

McClane says Troll Harder.

tyro

Postby tyro » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:11 am

moopness wrote:Also, prestige whore much?

Student with big three undergrad wants to attend a law school with a comparable status. That makes him/her a prestige whore?

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:14 am

yngblkgifted wrote:

Translation, poster does not have any true basis for his/her comments. CLS is full of awesome people, there are douches everywhere and I'd interject that CLS has no more of a problem with these type of people than any other law school.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:21 am

Isn't a 3.74 from Yale below median?

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:31 am

To be fair to OP, somewhat douchey though he may be, with my more modest numbers I would have been "very sad" if I had to "settle" for something lower than T14 in my cycle. I'm sure most ITT ridiculing him were/are in similar boats. It's all relative.

OP, if the difference is really just 3.68 to 3.74, I don't think it makes a difference. We don't know anything about your softs or how your LOR/PS will play, but I can't imagine a scenario where Harvard admits you with a 3.74 but not with 3.68, or where they ding you with 3.68 but not with 3.74.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:43 am

tyro wrote:

Student with big three undergrad wants to attend a law school with a comparable status. That makes him/her a prestige whore?

First off you just necroed the thread.

Second off the fact that OP can't stand the thought of going lower than number 4 on the T14 makes him/her a prestige whore.

There are perfectly good schools below that number.... 6 of them even if you are a real elitist.

tyro

Postby tyro » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:04 am

firemed wrote:
tyro wrote:

the fact that OP can't stand the thought of going lower than number 4 on the T14 makes him/her a prestige whore.

My interpretation is that the OP's desire to attend an elite university is not assumed to be driven primarily by the urge to obtain prestige. We may well have arrived at a disagreement over the definition of the key term "prestige whore".

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:13 am

tyro wrote:

Isn't that the definition of a prestige whore?

Anyway, calling it a depressing situation that you may have to suffer among the likes of UPenn is what makes OP an insufferable douche.

Also, why you ragin against necroers firemed?

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:34 am

In reading two pages of this and posting a response, I lost sight of how absurd the thread title is. That really needs to go.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:15 am

Down the road, not across the street.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:06 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Also, why you ragin against necroers firemed?

Partly because I was in a bad mood... but mostly because these threads lost their lulz a few days ago and no longer entertain me. But then they show up on my damn "view your posts" and I find myself compelled to click on them.

So really I am just mad at others for messing with my OCD. :lol:

Return to “What are my chances?”