166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Stl2012
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:53 pm

166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby Stl2012 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:07 am

Hey guys,

First time poster, recently took the June LSAT and scored a 166 and I have a 3.53 LSDAS GPA at a state school. I'm from the midwest and would like to stay in the area. I would prefer to work in St. Louis, but would be happy in any decent midwestern market. Right now the schools I'm looking at, in order of rank, are:

Wash U
UIUC
Notre Dame
Iowa
IUB
Wisky
Chicago-Kent
Depaul
SLU

Any thoughts on my chances at the above schools? Any other schools I should be looking at? Not a URM, nothing outstanding in the softs department, although I'd say they are good (study abroad, intern in DC for a semester). Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

Peg
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 am

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby Peg » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:40 am

If you want St Louis, then you are golden for SLU. You'll probably get $$ from them.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby kapital98 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:48 am

With your numbers you have an outside chance at being accepted at a T15. You could apply to 1-2 of these to improve your scholarship negotiations with your school of choice.

Otherwise, you have a decent shot at all of the schools you listed. The higher ranked T20's, like WUSTL and ND, are up in the air but still by all means possible.

If you have the money throw out an application to Northwestern. It's very unlikely you will be accepted but 1) it's possible, 2) if you are accepted that will greatly increase your scholarship leverage at lower ranked schools.

Stl2012
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:53 pm

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby Stl2012 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:22 pm

So would you advise going to SLU for St. Louis over UIUC or Iowa for example? And how much would ED help at Northwestern?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:24 pm

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

Stl2012 wrote:So would you advise going to SLU for St. Louis over UIUC or Iowa for example? And how much would ED help at Northwestern?


ED isn't going to help you when you're below both medians. If you want NU then you should retake.

User avatar
NYCbound35
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:48 am

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby NYCbound35 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:41 pm

Retaking for a 168/169 will get you $$$ at WUSTL...this is probably the best bet if you want St. Louis.

If you do not retake, apply to all the schools you listed and see what is best for your situation. As of now, you're in for big $$$$ at IU-B, Iowa and Wisconson. The only thing is, I don't know anything about these schools mobility even within the midwest, so make sure that you're fine practicing in their respective states before you commit. You have a shot at UIUC and ND, but with less $$ than the above schools. Don't go to the Chicago T2s because you'll get better deals at the other schools, and it doesn't seem like you want Chi-Town in particular.

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Why not THE Ohio State University?


just kidding, you're right.

Stl2012
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:53 pm

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby Stl2012 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:14 pm

NYCbound35 wrote:Retaking for a 168/169 will get you $$$ at WUSTL...this is probably the best bet if you want St. Louis.

If you do not retake, apply to all the schools you listed and see what is best for your situation. As of now, you're in for big $$$$ at IU-B, Iowa and Wisconson. The only thing is, I don't know anything about these schools mobility even within the midwest, so make sure that you're fine practicing in their respective states before you commit. You have a shot at UIUC and ND, but with less $$ than the above schools. Don't go to the Chicago T2s because you'll get better deals at the other schools, and it doesn't seem like you want Chi-Town in particular.
[quote="NYCbound35"]


Am I really in with big $$ at IUB, Iowa, and Wisconsin? I'm new to this, but after looking at lsn it seems most people with my numbers were accepted at Wisconsin and Iowa, but didn't receive a whole lot of money. I know IUB is different, and has been throwing money around to people with a 164+ LSAT, but they seem to be the exception. Do you have any other information regarding the scholarship $$ at Wisky and Iowa? Or am I overlooking something?

Stl2012
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:53 pm

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby Stl2012 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Why not THE Ohio State University?


just kidding, you're right.



Only if they could hook me up with some cars, big ten rings, and $$$. But in all seriousness, I've taken a look at Ohio St. and just don't know if I'd want to practice in Ohio. Not familiar enough with the state, the school, or the legal market(s). I assume it places well in Cincinnati?

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Stl2012 wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Why not THE Ohio State University?


just kidding, you're right.



Only if they could hook me up with some cars, big ten rings, and $$$. But in all seriousness, I've taken a look at Ohio St. and just don't know if I'd want to practice in Ohio. Not familiar enough with the state, the school, or the legal market(s). I assume it places well in Cincinnati?


I would think so. I don't know how much they compete with UC. To be honest, my only experience with Ohio was going there for UG (not OSU or UC)

Stl2012
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:53 pm

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby Stl2012 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:42 pm

Also, would it be helpful to apply as early as possible? Do those who get their applications in let's say October with my numbers stand a much better chance? I ask because I am applying this cycle and will be interning in DC this fall and earning academic credit while doing so (automatic 4.0 GPA for the semester). So would it be better to wait and apply after this semester with a higher GPA and a possible strong LOR, or go ahead and apply as early as possible?

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby buckilaw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:40 am

Retake. Then aim higher or pursue a large scholly.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:20 am

You probably won't get ND or UIUC with those stats. I believe you're below both medians for both schools. If you're from St. Louis, either take the 120K from IU or retake. You'll probably be able to do just as well if not better in St Louis coming from IU than SLU, and it also opens up Indy.

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: 166 3.53- Chances at t20-t40 in Midwest?

Postby aaaaaah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:37 am

NYCbound35 wrote:Retaking for a 168/169 will get you $$$ at WUSTL...this is probably the best bet if you want St. Louis.



I'd vote for this if you want St. Louis. Retake and just a few points higher can get you some decent $ from WUSTL. Check LSN- 3.5-3.6/168-169 generally nets 75-84k. It seems like they're pretty open to negotiating, too.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest