AA 3.5 167 (applying in fall of 2012, rather than this year)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rgndvo
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 pm

AA 3.5 167 (applying in fall of 2012, rather than this year)

Postby rgndvo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Chance me at my current numbers, please. :D

Also, I have been PT-ing in the low-mid 170's since the June test. How much of a difference would hitting the 170's make for my chances at the T-6 and T-4? Moreover, while I have a shitty 3.5 LSAC GPA, I earned a 3.9 last year and have upward trajectory going for me.
Last edited by rgndvo on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: AA 3.5 167 (applying in fall of 2012, rather than this year)

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:56 pm

You're already in at a T6 and in with money at a T14. You have a shot at any school in the country. Your goal should be YHS and therefore a retake may be necessary, but it may not.

Also, why are you applying next year when you can easily take the October test? Unless, you have some other reason to wait until next year, I'd retake in October and send in your apps before Thanksgiving. I applied around the same time and got into plenty of T14 schools.

The thing that will really help you is boosting the LSAT, not your GPA. The effects of the GPA improvement will be negligible IMO.

In summation:

1.Keep Studying for a retake
2.Take in October
3. Apply to T14 schools
4.??????
5. Profit

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: AA 3.5 167 (applying in fall of 2012, rather than this year)

Postby buckilaw » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:50 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:You're already in at a T6 and in with money at a T14. You have a shot at any school in the country. Your goal should be YHS and therefore a retake may be necessary, but it may not.

Also, why are you applying next year when you can easily take the October test? Unless, you have some other reason to wait until next year, I'd retake in October and send in your apps before Thanksgiving. I applied around the same time and got into plenty of T14 schools.

The thing that will really help you is boosting the LSAT, not your GPA. The effects of the GPA improvement will be negligible IMO.

In summation:

1.Keep Studying for a retake
2.Take in October
3. Apply to T14 schools
4.??????
5. Profit


+1. Start working on your personal statement, diversity statement, and why x essays. Get your LOR writers lined up. And enjoy a great cycle.

Edit: I'm assuming you are a male. If you are a female your AA bump will not be as big as I'm thinking it is and the retake becomes essential.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: AA 3.5 167 (applying in fall of 2012, rather than this year)

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:55 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
The thing that will really help you is boosting the LSAT, not your GPA. The effects of the GPA improvement will be negligible IMO.



I don't know if I'd agree with this. From what I understand, schools tend to give more of a boost to URM LSAT numbers than GPAs. I haven't looked in a while but when I was applying I felt that LSN statistics bore this out. Honestly I feel like an AA applicant with 3.7/167 will do better than one with a 3.5/169.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: AA 3.5 167 (applying in fall of 2012, rather than this year)

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:09 am

Emma. wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
The thing that will really help you is boosting the LSAT, not your GPA. The effects of the GPA improvement will be negligible IMO.



I don't know if I'd agree with this. From what I understand, schools tend to give more of a boost to URM LSAT numbers than GPAs. I haven't looked in a while but when I was applying I felt that LSN statistics bore this out. Honestly I feel like an AA applicant with 3.7/167 will do better than one with a 3.5/169.


True, but I think OP has passed a GPA threshold that will be sufficient for HYS as long as they get a high LSAT score. I guess I was most concerned with the fact that raising a 3.5 to a 3.6 (best case scenario) requires more work than getting a couple more points on the LSAT (going off of OP's current PT scores) and that is where the OP should truly direct their attention. If OP gets to a 170+, they will be in an excellent position since there are so few AA applicants with that score. 3.6's are much easier to come by.

Ideally raise both, but with the right score, you won't have to.

rgndvo
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Re: AA 3.5 167 (applying in fall of 2012, rather than this year)

Postby rgndvo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:21 am

There are overriding personal circumstances which will prevent me from leaving college for law school next year; it's in my best interest to begin attending school in 2013.

Thanks for the great advice, guys. I plan to get my GPA up to around a 3.6 and break into the 170's on the October LSAT -- Given that my softs are really quite good, I believe this will give me a great shot at every school in the country.

As for concerns about a tradeoff between a higher LSAT score and a higher GPA, I don't think either one will get in the way of the other: I have quit work to focus on school/LSAT this year, which will give me roughly the same amount of time on school that I had last year (the 3.9 year) on homework. Crappy overall GPA had to do with choosing the wrong major initially (chemistry) and neglecting to refine my sense of work ethic until last year.

P.S. Am an AA *male* -- although I don't know the relevance of gender for affirmative action purposes. However, I recall reading in Anna Ivey's book that npn-URM women get affirmative action at T14 and especially T6 schools, since there is a relative [compared to men] paucity of women scoring 170 or above. In any case, it's true that men outnumber women in T4 schools by a fairly significant amount (e.g., Columbia's class of 2013 is 54% men: http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... assprofile), a discrepancy that schools are undoubtedly already trying to ameliorate, likely through affirmative action.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: AA 3.5 167 (applying in fall of 2012, rather than this year)

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:58 am

rgndvo wrote:P.S. Am an AA *male* -- although I don't know the relevance of gender for affirmative action purposes. However, I recall reading in Anna Ivey's book that npn-URM women get affirmative action at T14 and especially T6 schools, since there is a relative [compared to men] paucity of women scoring 170 or above. In any case, it's true that men outnumber women in T4 schools by a fairly significant amount (e.g., Columbia's class of 2013 is 54% men: http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... assprofile), a discrepancy that schools are undoubtedly already trying to ameliorate, likely through affirmative action.


Yeah but because AA males are statistically more likely than to end up dead or in jail than any other demographic, AA males get the largest boost.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: There are so few AA males in higher education, it's kinda sad.

User avatar
Alltheirsplendor
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Re: AA 3.5 167 (applying in fall of 2012, rather than this year)

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:37 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
Emma. wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
The thing that will really help you is boosting the LSAT, not your GPA. The effects of the GPA improvement will be negligible IMO.



I don't know if I'd agree with this. From what I understand, schools tend to give more of a boost to URM LSAT numbers than GPAs. I haven't looked in a while but when I was applying I felt that LSN statistics bore this out. Honestly I feel like an AA applicant with 3.7/167 will do better than one with a 3.5/169.


True, but I think OP has passed a GPA threshold that will be sufficient for HYS as long as they get a high LSAT score. I guess I was most concerned with the fact that raising a 3.5 to a 3.6 (best case scenario) requires more work than getting a couple more points on the LSAT (going off of OP's current PT scores) and that is where the OP should truly direct their attention. If OP gets to a 170+, they will be in an excellent position since there are so few AA applicants with that score. 3.6's are much easier to come by.

Ideally raise both, but with the right score, you won't have to.


He might have passed the GPA threshold for S or H, but not Y. At least that's what lsn would indicate.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: AA 3.5 167 (applying in fall of 2012, rather than this year)

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:38 pm

Alltheirsplendor wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Emma. wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
The thing that will really help you is boosting the LSAT, not your GPA. The effects of the GPA improvement will be negligible IMO.



I don't know if I'd agree with this. From what I understand, schools tend to give more of a boost to URM LSAT numbers than GPAs. I haven't looked in a while but when I was applying I felt that LSN statistics bore this out. Honestly I feel like an AA applicant with 3.7/167 will do better than one with a 3.5/169.


True, but I think OP has passed a GPA threshold that will be sufficient for HYS as long as they get a high LSAT score. I guess I was most concerned with the fact that raising a 3.5 to a 3.6 (best case scenario) requires more work than getting a couple more points on the LSAT (going off of OP's current PT scores) and that is where the OP should truly direct their attention. If OP gets to a 170+, they will be in an excellent position since there are so few AA applicants with that score. 3.6's are much easier to come by.

Ideally raise both, but with the right score, you won't have to.


He might have passed the GPA threshold for S or H, but not Y. At least that's what lsn would indicate.



Too lazy to go on lsn, but this very may well be true. I was just going off of anecdotal evidence and my own personal experience. But yeah, OP, since you have to wait a year anyway, get that GPA up as high as possible.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests