I got charged with a misdemeanor

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
VLCrocks

I got charged with a misdemeanor

Postby VLCrocks » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:57 pm

I just recently got charge wit a misdemeanor. My lawyer says that it is a "municipal misdemeanor" and that it can be explained away. From the way she discusses it I know it won't keep me from say 3 tier schools and what not but I was hoping to make it into around the T50 or maybe the T25 if possible. It is a social host ordinance and I plead Nolo. I am really worried about it because I have 4 F's on my transcript from being an idiot Freshman/sophomore in college. Dropped out- took a year off/ rather half a year- then went back. Ever since, then lowest grade has been 2 b's in different semesters. The I have a 3.32 right now but the F's will get wiped off before I graduate so I expect to graduate with higher than a 3.6. If I still do well on my LSAT- do I still have a chance? Looking for any experiences or suggestions/advice.

I am really worried about the misdemeanor. I am a senior starting in the fall and I plan to take one year off before applying so it won't be this cycle but the next one that I will be applying in.

bport hopeful

Re: I got charged with a misdemeanor

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:00 pm

Your Fs wont be wiped away I dont think. And a good LSAT will do wonders for any problem.

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Last edited by nmcdgt on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:27 pm

give some details. whatd you actually do

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:33 pm

A misdemeanor conviction will not hurt your apps if you get a good LSAT score and apply early. Just make sure you disclose it and study hard for the LSAT.

VLCrocks

Postby VLCrocks » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:46 pm

To WSJ_Law: I had a party at my place and the police came by and asked if they could come in. They routinely just break up the party but decided to make an arrest this time. It was for social host, which means if you allow people under the age of 21 to drink on your property and you are over 21, you are held liable for it.

So even if my UG GPA doesn't include the Fs, the LSAC will calculate them in? I know I still have to disclose the transcripts but I was under the impression that I could say my UG was the one on my final transcript. All the Fs are from different universities than the one I attend now.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:47 pm

So...you were the arrest they decided to make or no?

VLCrocks

Postby VLCrocks » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Yes, I was the one. I was the one that was charged and arrested. People keep saying that it isn't a big deal because it is a city ordinance but I'm not so sure.

MVPson

Postby MVPson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:50 pm

I got into multiple top ten schools with three misdemeanors.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:51 pm

VLCrocks wrote:To WSJ_Law: I had a party at my place and the police came by and asked if they could come in. They routinely just break up the party but decided to make an arrest this time. It was for social host, which means if you allow people under the age of 21 to drink on your property and you are over 21, you are held liable for it.

So even if my UG GPA doesn't include the Fs, the LSAC will calculate them in? I know I still have to disclose the transcripts but I was under the impression that I could say my UG was the one on my final transcript. All the Fs are from different universities than the one I attend now.

LSAC includes every grade you have received since high school, so the F's will be reported. You have to provide them with transcripts from every school you have attended. You can get in trouble for not disclosing all of your grades as well. Is your GPA a 3.3 even with the F's calculated in?

Thats not the sort of offense schools with really care about. Just make sure you don't get in trouble with the law again. They would be more concerned if you had a pattern of this behavior.

VLCrocks

Postby VLCrocks » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:53 pm

MVPson: do you mind if I ask what your numbers were. UG gap and LSAT? And yes emciosn: my gap is a 3.3 with the 4 Fs.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:56 pm

VLCrocks wrote:MVPson: do you mind if I ask what your numbers were. UG gap and LSAT? And yes emciosn: my gap is a 3.3 with the 4 Fs.

That's not a terrible GPA and you still have a year to work on it. Get a high enough LSAT and you will get into some T1 schools. Your GPA doesn't put you out of contention for even scholarships at some splitter friendly schools.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:57 pm

emciosn wrote:
VLCrocks wrote:MVPson: do you mind if I ask what your numbers were. UG gap and LSAT? And yes emciosn: my gap is a 3.3 with the 4 Fs.

That's not a terrible GPA and you still have a year to work on it. Get a high enough LSAT and you will get into some T1 schools. Your GPA doesn't put you out of contention for even scholarships at some splitter friendly schools.

I got Schollies at T1s with a worse GPA.

VLCrocks

Postby VLCrocks » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Okay, so how does the LSAC work? Do I have to collect all my grades and calculate the gap myself? And count the forgiven hours as Fs or do I just turn in my transcripts and they calculate it themselves?

Thanks for everyone giving advice.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:58 pm

VLCrocks wrote:Okay, so how does the LSAC work? Do I have to collect all my grades and calculate the gap myself? And count the forgiven hours as Fs or do I just turn in my transcripts and they calculate it themselves?

Thanks for everyone giving advice.

You'll have to request transcripts to be sent to LSAC from every undergraduate institution [and graduate institution--doesn't apply in your situation] you attended. LSAC then uses the information to calculate a UGPA for you.

Return to “What are my chances?”