What are my chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lauren_sand

New

What are my chances?

Post by lauren_sand » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:57 pm

I made a 167 on the June LSAT (I'm considering retaking in October) and have a 3.86 at a prestigious public university. I've interned in congress and in the court system in NY. I'm the president of the largest women's organization on my campus, as well as involved in other extra-curriculars.

What are my chances at NYU? Should I apply ED?

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Re: What are my chances?

Post by WSJ_Law » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Probably out with a 167. Ideally 170+ would be sufficient for a decent chance, but the unfortunate reality is that those few points between 166 and 170 each mean a great deal in admissions.

kdw94780

Bronze

Post by kdw94780 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:13 pm

agree. you could apply, but i don't think you have a very good chance.

lauren_sand

New

Post by lauren_sand » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks! I will retake.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:54 pm

Almost no shot, even with ED. You stand a chance at Cornell though, which depending on your reasoning for NYU could work just as well. A retake with a 171 gives you a chance and a 172+ puts you in a great position.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:47 pm

If you can get a 169-170 and apply ED, I think you could get into NYU. I think you can also get into NYU with a 170 and RD app. The one thing I learned from the admissions process is that schools care more about 1 or 2 LSAT points than what may appear to be really great softs. Maybe this is because many people who apply have great softs? But, really, I'm a bit more cynical and believe that law schools care about their rankings (as determined largely by GPA and LSAT scores) far more than they let on when they say stuff like "we take a holistic approach" or "we want those who want us." If you're on the margins, your softs will be more important, but you need to get to that margin.

moleculex17

New

Post by moleculex17 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Lisi wrote:If you can get a 169-170 and apply ED, I think you could get into NYU. I think you can also get into NYU with a 170 and RD app. The one thing I learned from the admissions process is that schools care more about 1 or 2 LSAT points than what may appear to be really great softs. Maybe this is because many people who apply have great softs? But, really, I'm a bit more cynical and believe that law schools care about their rankings (as determined largely by GPA and LSAT scores) far more than they let on when they say stuff like "we take a holistic approach" or "we want those who want us." If you're on the margins, your softs will be more important, but you need to get to that margin.
+1.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”