160, 3.1, Soft Factors

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lbess

160, 3.1, Soft Factors

Postby lbess » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi all,

I have an UGPA of 3.1, LSAT 160, and two masters degrees with GPA's of 4.0 and 3.8 respectively. Soft Factors: Spanish fluency, international work experience with a NGO in Latin America, 3 yrs working with immigrant and refugee populations, published research. I am interested in human rights/ immigration law and with my numbers I am thinking of CUNY Law. Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you!

boilerplated

Re: 160, 3.1, Soft Factors

Postby boilerplated » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:18 pm

If you want CUNY, you will get into CUNY. Your softs are exactly what they're looking for.

You could get into lots of other schools, too. What are your parameters? Are you looking at a particular location? Trying to keep costs low?

lbess

Postby lbess » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. I would like a school with a strong focus on public interest law in the northeast, preferably DC or NYC. Cost is not my primary concern, although it is a factor.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:37 pm

Retake LSAT, get into a top school, use LRAP and IBR to pay it off.

boilerplated

Postby boilerplated » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:26 am

lbess wrote:Thanks for the reply. I would like a school with a strong focus on public interest law in the northeast, preferably DC or NYC. Cost is not my primary concern, although it is a factor.

American (in D.C.) is somewhat known for public interest and you can probably get a decent scholarship, though I wouldn't go if you're paying more than half. Same goes for Northeastern (in Boston), whose co-op program might be a good way to make use of your background. I would do some research into those. They are both within your range.

As the poster above said, you can probably vie for a top school if you can boost your LSAT into the 168+ range, which I imagine you can. In that case, NYU would be a good fit.

Some will talk down CUNY because it's a fourth tier school. They're right and wrong. It has a solid niche for public interest and especially immigration law, but the jobs you can expect to get out there are usually at the lower rungs in those fields (though are arguably more fulfilling). If your goal is to work for a major human rights organization, you will probably need an elite school to have a shot.

Return to “What are my chances?”