Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kweehunt
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby kweehunt » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:51 pm

Hey, new to the forums and thought i would ask this question.

My GPA is currently a 3.76 and I'm looking to take the LSAT for the first time this December. Do I have a realistic chance of getting into Penn, Georgetown, or Cornell and if so, what would I need to make on the LSAT?

Thanks for your help.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:52 pm

DEPENDS ON YOUR LSAT.

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby Corwin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:00 pm

You'll need a 170+ to be in the running for those schools. Not out of your league by any means.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Corwin wrote:You'll need a 170+ to be in the running for those schools. Not out of your league by any means.


Not for cornell

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby PinkCow » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:07 pm

kweehunt wrote:Hey, new to the forums and thought i would ask this question.

My GPA is currently a 3.76 and I'm looking to take the LSAT for the first time this December. Do I have a realistic chance of getting into Penn, Georgetown, or Cornell and if so, what would I need to make on the LSAT?

Thanks for your help.


168 for Cornell/Goergetown. Pushing 171 for Penn.

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby Corwin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Veyron wrote:
Corwin wrote:You'll need a 170+ to be in the running for those schools. Not out of your league by any means.


Not for cornell

Ah, good call. Thanks for the correction. Looks like 168 for Cornell.

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby Corwin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:11 pm

PinkCow wrote:
kweehunt wrote:Hey, new to the forums and thought i would ask this question.

My GPA is currently a 3.76 and I'm looking to take the LSAT for the first time this December. Do I have a realistic chance of getting into Penn, Georgetown, or Cornell and if so, what would I need to make on the LSAT?

Thanks for your help.


168 for Cornell/Goergetown. Pushing 171 for Penn.

According to LSN, acceptance rates at Georgetown for 168 are awful at that GPA level. It's maybe a little worse than 50/50 at 169, but 170 puts you in a pretty safe range.

kweehunt
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby kweehunt » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. I really appreciate it.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:28 pm

3.76/168 definitely wouldn't cut it for GULC. For Cornell, it should be fine if you apply EARLY.

Gorges
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby Gorges » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:23 am

ndirish2010 wrote:3.76/168 definitely wouldn't cut it for GULC. For Cornell, it should be fine if you apply EARLY.


I would say to try Cornell Early Action with 3.76/168, but I think that is precluded by December LSAT (if you are applying this cycle)...

Study hard!

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:34 am

Gorges wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:3.76/168 definitely wouldn't cut it for GULC. For Cornell, it should be fine if you apply EARLY.


I would say to try Cornell Early Action with 3.76/168, but I think that is precluded by December LSAT (if you are applying this cycle)...

Study hard!


Agreed. I had just a slightly lower GPA (but still above the median) and got the inevitable reserve for applying after December LSAT.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby PinkCow » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:59 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
Gorges wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:3.76/168 definitely wouldn't cut it for GULC. For Cornell, it should be fine if you apply EARLY.


I would say to try Cornell Early Action with 3.76/168, but I think that is precluded by December LSAT (if you are applying this cycle)...

Study hard!


Agreed. I had just a slightly lower GPA (but still above the median) and got the inevitable reserve for applying after December LSAT.



Not sure I agree. Cornell has got to be the weirdest regarding admissions, especially EA. This year, it seemed like if you weren't a totally stellar applicant, you would get put on a EA reserve list, to be revisited during normal review time. What happened though, is that many of those 2nd timers got screwed and ended up being the last reviewed, after most of the class was decided. Just sayin... I applied early (Octoberish) but took the December LSAT so got reviewed in the regular pile and got a very quick turnaround. Many EA'ers were not so lucky.

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Are Penn, Cornell, and Georgetown out of my league?

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:17 am

Without an LSAT score, an emphatic YES. All of these schools won't even consider you.



Non-sarcastic version: Come back with a real score; it makes it easier on the people to whom you direct these types of questions.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cd1945 and 1 guest