167 LSAT, 2.8 GPA. What should I be aiming for? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ato308

New

167 LSAT, 2.8 GPA. What should I be aiming for?

Post by ato308 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:29 pm

I'm looking for some help. I scored a 168 LSAT, but have a 2.8 GPA ( which I know is low). I really want to go to school in a big city and was wondering what my chances would be for the following schools:

Fordham
NYU ( I know I'm 99.999998 percent out here).
Brooklyn
Hofstra
Boston College or Boston University
Wakeforest
Cornell

I was a foster child until the age of 12 and came a long way. I'm also an Eagle Scout and involved in school activities such as Alpha Tau Omega, The Investment Group, and Economics Club.

Any advice on where I should apply would be greatly appreciated, sorry about the long wall of text.

flexityflex86

Silver

Re: 167 LSAT, 2.8 GPA. What should I be aiming for?

Post by flexityflex86 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:34 pm

ato308 wrote:I'm looking for some help. I scored a 168 LSAT, but have a 2.8 GPA ( which I know is low). I really want to go to school in a big city and was wondering what my chances would be for the following schools:

Fordham
Brooklyn
Hofstra
Wakeforest
Cornell

I was a foster child until the age of 12 and came a long way. I'm also an Eagle Scout and involved in school activities such as Alpha Tau Omega, The Investment Group, and Economics Club.

Any advice on where I should apply would be greatly appreciated, sorry about the long wall of text.
Obviously, you're a huge splitter. It is a unique soft to have been a foster child and potentially a great PS/diversity statement, but won't make up for your GPA.

I don't think you have any shot at Fordham, NYU, Cornell, BU/BC (you're auto-deny at all of these) as your LSAT is either below or above the median, and your GPA would be among the lowest in the entering class.

I think you're likely in at Brooklyn, and auto-admit at Hofstra with some $, but the drop off from Fordham to Brooklyn/Hofstra is vast, and would not put you into a great position when you look for employment unless you're at the top of the class.

I'd both retake, and consider Midwest schools if you want to play it conservatively (jobs before location), and create the best financial position for yourself. Your #'s right now may be enough for IU: B, and a 170+ can garner a full ride, and would likely also get you WUSTL with money. Right now a top 20 other than WUSTL won't happen, and without that 168 there you are guaranteed to get rejected across the board.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:39 pm

If you're not a URM, the most compelling applicant ever, or a donor to the school, NYU is 0%. The Boston schools like GPA a little too much, don't think there's much chance at all at either. Lots of low 3 170s didn't get them or got WL'd. Looks like a 2.9/169 got into Fordham, but there are lots of people above and below those numbers who got rejected/wl'd. See the bit about NYU for Cornell. Hofstra and Brooklyn you're in with some money. Wake Forest looks good according to LSN.

You want the city but have Wake on here. Why not some midwest schools while you're at it? They love splitters.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:48 pm

If you're really picky about the big city thing, you will have to lower your standards in terms of rankings and prospects. If you can become flexible on location and markets, then you have some really decent (T1) options available to you.

WUSTL - May go down to a 167 cutoff this fall with a big decrease in applicants - cross your fingers.
IU-B - You have a good shot.
American U - Auto admit
UGA - Auto admit

Just my two cents.

Edit: I realize I definitely left some out here (GWU for one), but you get the idea.
Last edited by RaleighStClair on Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:49 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:If you're really picky about the big city thing, you will have to lower your standards in terms of rankings and prospects. If you can become flexible on location and markets, then you have some really decent (T1) options available to you.

WUSTL - May go down to a 167 cutoff this fall with a big decrease in applicants - cross your fingers.
American U - Auto admit
UGA - Auto admit

Just my two cents.
If OP can get UGA, that may be the best bet given his geographic preferences (east coast), and level of respect within its region.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ato308

New

Post by ato308 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks for the advice. I wish I would have tried harder in my undergrad. I have two more semesters left so maybe I can pull a 3.0, if that would help in the slightest

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Look at GW, American, Brooklyn, Cardozo, Other NYC schools, Minnesota, IU-B, WUSTL

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:07 am

ato308 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I wish I would have tried harder in my undergrad. I have two more semesters left so maybe I can pull a 3.0, if that would help in the slightest
It would, if you're not committed to applying this cycle. Hypothetically, if you retake to a 170, get a 3.0, and have a year of even decent work experience, your stock is much higher.

NYCbound35

Bronze

Post by NYCbound35 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:27 am

Kabuo wrote:If you're not a URM, the most compelling applicant ever, or a donor to the school, NYU is 0%. The Boston schools like GPA a little too much, don't think there's much chance at all at either. Lots of low 3 170s didn't get them or got WL'd. Looks like a 2.9/169 got into Fordham, but there are lots of people above and below those numbers who got rejected/wl'd. See the bit about NYU for Cornell. Hofstra and Brooklyn you're in with some money. Wake Forest looks good according to LSN.

You want the city but have Wake on here. Why not some midwest schools while you're at it? They love splitters.
You're talking to that Fordham splitter right here. I was in the same position as you (albeit with slightly better numbers on both ends) and I just did not want to end up in the midwest. IMO, if you are looking for an east coast big city, your only two decent options are Fordham and GW. You are probably not going to get Fordham, but it appears like several sub 3.0, 167 splitters got GW this cycle.
http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Whether sticker at GW is worth it is a decision that you have to make for yourself. I am personally paying sticker at Fordham, but between living at home and family help, I am very happy with my decision. Regardless, I think 200k for GW is a better decision than taking a half scholarship w 30% stipultation (that you are more likely than not to lose) that you'd likely get at the NYC T2s.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:09 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:If you're really picky about the big city thing, you will have to lower your standards in terms of rankings and prospects. If you can become flexible on location and markets, then you have some really decent (T1) options available to you.

American U - Auto admit
UGA - Auto admit

Just my two cents.

Edit: I realize I definitely left some out here (GWU for one), but you get the idea.

Agreed, shifting to some better midwestern schools sounds like a better shot than going to Brooklyn.

PS, man I love the Royal Tenenbaums.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Perdevise wrote:

American U - Auto admit
UGA - Auto admit

Just my two cents.

Agreed, shifting to some better midwestern schools sounds like a better shot than going to Brooklyn.

PS, man I love the Royal Tenenbaums.
does anyone have any info on the lowest GPA WUSTL has taken?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:33 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:does anyone have any info on the lowest GPA WUSTL has taken?
How low do they go?

Seriously WUSTL with money seems like the choice. If you do well you can get back to the coast. If youre at median, well at least youre only 115 in debt instead of 200.

aerogear

New

Post by aerogear » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:56 pm

ato308 wrote:I'm looking for some help. I scored a 168 LSAT, but have a 2.8 GPA ( which I know is low). I really want to go to school in a big city and was wondering what my chances would be for the following schools:

Fordham
Brooklyn
Hofstra
Wakeforest
Cornell

Start preparing for Oct and or Dec LSAT. If you can realistically pull your GPA up to 3.0 range, and or your new LSAT isn't as good as you wanted it to be, then I'd wait until next cycle to apply.

If not... then I agree with what everyone is saying. Instead of pursuing BC, BU, you should look at Northeastern.
http://northweastern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

But realize that you will be placed underneath everyone in that area... a drop from BC + BU is pretty big.

In terms of Cardozo... there is probably a GPA floor because they have been rising in rank.
http://cardozo.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Most sub 3.0s get WL'D. IMO - You should push for Fordham first if you can split higher on LSAT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 am

Are you a minority?

ato308

New

Post by ato308 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:19 pm

No but I'm adopted. I was a foster child until i was 11. Only 2 percent of foster children graduate college

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:35 pm

Don't listen to those who say you have no shot because of your gpa. 2.8 is no different than a 3.4 for most of these schools as both are below the median. You have no shot at all the schools that you are below both medians at (cornell, NYU, etc). If you have a decent ap you will probably get into Fordham.

Make sure your ap is very, very good. You will be competing with other lazy splitters and you don't want your ap to be lazy. You could literally get into any school with a 167 or lower LSAT median if you played your cards right. The reason this is true is because most of your competition won't.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:47 pm

169/2.9 got GW part-time

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Retake if you can. Pray for Bloomington or WUSTL. Good luck.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:55 pm

If you are willing to move a bit you might want to look into strong regionals in the middle of the country or in the west.

PM me if you want some suggestions.

Also, retake is certainly worth a try.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:2.8 is no different than a 3.4 for most of these schools as both are below the median.
Wrong. Though I guess you are technically right that they are both below the median.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”