Computer Science chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jaybird

Computer Science chances?

Postby jaybird » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:22 am

Hi,

I'm a Computer Science student at Northeastern University(not northwestern) thinking about law school, I've got a 3.0 gpa, and hope to bring it up to a 3.1/3.2. I know my GPA is low, but since I'm in a difficult major would it be enough?

If I do decently on the LSATs would I be able to get into a good law school(top 30?)?(What would I need to get)?

I'm of malaysian and chinese decent(if it matters at all)

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to even try.

Thanks
Last edited by jaybird on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

chem

Re: 3.0 GPA Computer Science

Postby chem » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:26 am

jaybird wrote:Hi,

I'm a Computer Science student at Northeastern University(not northwestern) thinking about law school, I've got a 3.0 gpa, and hope to bring it up to a 3.1/3.2. I know my GPA is low, but since I'm in a difficult major would it be enough?

Major does not have much of an effect. It can serve as a tiebreaker in some cases, but in the scheme of things its LSAT>GPA>>WE(Except for Northwestern, WE counts for more)>>PS>>>>>Major/leadership/anything else

jaybird wrote:If I do decently on the LSATs would I be able to get into a good law school(top 30?)?(What would I need to get)?

You'd need a 170+ with that GPA

jaybird wrote:I'm of malaysian and chinese decent(if it matters at all)

Thanks

Does not qualify you as a URM, so it doesn't matter

Corwin

Re: Computer Science chances?

Postby Corwin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Keep your GPA above 3.0. As a general rule of thumb, you're going to need a 170+. In order of ranking, schools you should focus on are UVA, NU (need 2 years of work experience), Georgetown, WUSTL, IUB, and UIUC. You might be able to swing a BU/BC with your ties, but the odds are against you since they have a soft 3.3 floor. The closer your GPA is to 3.3, the better chance you have at BU/BC.

In sum, yes you should try, but you'll need a 170+. With that score, you have a lot of schools in the T30 open to you, including a few in the T14.

Return to “What are my chances?”