4.0/174 - What do you think?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MumofCad

Re: 4.0/174 - What do you think?

Postby MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:41 pm

-
Last edited by MumofCad on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:44 pm

You seem like a nice person, so I'll apologize for my making fun: I apologize.

Although, it was fun.
And understand; this really looked like a troll post, or someone with low self esteem looking for some ego boosting.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:49 pm

This has got to be a flame.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:52 pm

firemed wrote:This has got to be a flame.

This person's existence has been verified via the interwebs. But she is indeed incredibly impressive.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:55 pm

ebeth wrote:

This person's existence has been verified via the interwebs. But she is indeed incredibly impressive.

In that case enjoy Yale or Harvard. Or if you want to go back to Oregon or Colorado... Stanford.

Also, I jelly of your life.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:57 pm

firemed wrote:
ebeth wrote:

In that case enjoy Yale or Harvard. Or if you want to go back to Oregon or Colorado... Stanford.

Also, I jelly of your life.

Don't be. Highly successful people are often miserable.
You can be jealous of her success if you want.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:58 pm

-
Last edited by MumofCad on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:00 pm

lawgod wrote:You seem like a nice person, so I'll apologize for my making fun: I apologize.

Although, it was fun.
And understand; this really looked like a troll post, or someone with low self esteem looking for some ego boosting.

Oh no harm done and no offense taken. I'm about as thick-skinned as they come. It takes a big person to apologize though, so thank you.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:15 pm

-
Last edited by MumofCad on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Also, stop worrying about your PS. Seriously. Write about whatever you want. Your goals, as well as pretty much anything you've ever done, sound like great material. Based on this:
[quote="MumofCad"][/quote]
I'm not terribly worried about your writing skills.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:18 pm

question:

Did you or your husband take a semester or more off after the birth of each child? I am having trouble imagining how you did it otherwise... but if you did do it otherwise, please tell me how?

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:23 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Its not as glamorous as it looks all-lined up like that in order of successes. If I put my wonderful flops on there, you might feel differently. Just look at my poor grasp of on-line jargon. I'd love to claim its not characteristic of me, sadly it is. I particularly love to take old folksy-sayings and replace a key work with one that is close, but totally wrong in meaning. I wish it was intentional. I was also never a huge success as a hay-bailer (my first job). Never progressed passed being a raker, which is the lowest position on the totem-pole. I just could never get how exactly to pin-point which of the litany of things that can do wrong on a bailer had gone wrong on mine. Driving a stacker or big rig - ha. Ah well, at least I never put unleaded fuel in a diesel engine like some of my peers.

I'm also older than alot of candidates. Funny too, because I'm always floored when I read other's bios. That's why I asked my original question. I've read alot of successful candidate bios and kept thinking - do I measure up? The numbers game can be intimidating on here too. I was stalking AWS threads from this spring looking at profiles to get numbers and it seemed like alot of wait-listing and rejections with my numbers at some top schools. Except for URM (which I am not), I didn't notice alot of people getting in straight away. Hard to say why when you can't see the whole package, which is why I included mine here. Thankfully, I learned alot about the YP issue that I hope will give me better odds of getting As instead of WLs. Its important when you have a family to consider up-rooting (and a husband who will need to find a job) to have as much time as possible to get things in order.

I am also older, with family... and I understand what it is like to be told "you have an amazing resume" and still feeling insecure... of course, with my 3.05 UGPA I did have something to be insecure about.

I understand why you might wish for a higher LSAT, but at the level you are playing at your softs will more than make up for the 2-4 point increase in LSAT that would make you feel really secure. Seriously. Especially if you apply early. If you were applying in February with those numbers to HYS you might have a lot more to worry about. But if you apply in September/October for all of the T10 you will be set unless you photocopy your ass and send that in as a PS.

ETA: I understand that Y apps come later than that, but you get the point.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:26 pm

-
Last edited by MumofCad on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:46 pm

-
Last edited by MumofCad on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:52 pm

MumofCad wrote:
firemed wrote:question:

Did you or your husband take a semester or more off after the birth of each child? I am having trouble imagining how you did it otherwise... but if you did do it otherwise, please tell me how?

I did not. My husband has always worked full time as well.

This is great information on managing work and family. I think it is harder than you let on, but it is great that you managed it so well.

About Chinese immersion - really, you will find a way to do this without looking for a program. Every college I can think of has a Chinese population with young children.

I just want to advise you again, please do not limit your schools based on what education you can find for your kids. I have great faith in your ability to manage to get your children what they need based on the resources available. You need to focus on going to the best school you can.

Please let us know how it goes.
Last edited by sunynp on Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Thank you so much for that answer, it was awesome.

I just have one follow-up question:

Who watched your first kiddo when you couldn't take him to class and your husband was at work? Babysitter?

ETA: to answer the above- no... I mean nothing except impressive things are here, as far as I can tell.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:10 pm

-
Last edited by MumofCad on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Thank you SO MUCH! Seriously.

Also, I am sending my wife in to this thread to read it. I think it will be inspirational for her on her journey to grad school.

MumofCad wrote: (see your child turn purple and then blue in front of your eyes while your mom and husband are helpless, and you'll understand)

I understand, a little at least. I watched them do CPR on my daughter. As a healthcare provider I knew what was going on... which almost made it worse, frankly.

I came back to G-d after that, seeing as how praying was the only thing I could think of to do... and it quelled the anxiety quite a bit. Not that I didn't check that she was breathing four or five (or 20) times a night for the next year... I still check before bed every night, and every morning if she isn't already trying to wake me up :lol: .

ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:05 pm

OP, if I ever had to bet money on someone getting into Yale, I would bet it on you. You've led an exceptional life, and you should have absolutely no problem getting in to any law school. Best of luck, and I look forward to voting for you in the future as the first woman President.

North

Postby North » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:30 pm

ihhwap1 wrote:OP, if I ever had to bet money on someone getting into Yale, I would bet it on you. You've led an exceptional life, and you should have absolutely no problem getting in to any law school. Best of luck, and I look forward to voting for you in the future as the first woman President.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:03 pm

OP - you might find skimming through this thread helpful. There are some good dos and don'ts to be gleaned from there.

Reflect on your cycle

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:47 pm

I don't get why you're considering UVA but not Georgetown. You would probably get a full ride at Georgetown or close to it.

It's probably a moot point anyway, since you should be enjoying Yale.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:38 pm

-
Last edited by MumofCad on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:00 am

MumofCad wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I don't get why you're considering UVA but not Georgetown. You would probably get a full ride at Georgetown or close to it.

It's probably a moot point anyway, since you should be enjoying Yale.

I may still end up applying - alot has to do with the market and positions I am looking at upon graduation. I think I might be better off taking the same deal at the flagship school in that state, where I can build the connections for my goals. A top candidate from CU probably has better prospects of landing those jobs based on my research. Part of that may be that most G-town grads aren't looking at those positions in the first place - not sure- but the infrastructure is already built at CU.

This is not credited. You should not just go to CU to build contacts. You should go to the best school that you can get into. You can always get some kind of 1L internship in Colorado if you want. The reason a person needs local ties is that otherwise they may be viewed as flight risks who will decamp for a better job or different state. I think the fact you will be moving with a husband and three young children mitigates against you being a flight risk. I also think that you will get so many more opportunities from HYS that you would be extremely foolish to turn them down.

You are not researching people with your background (educational, experience or family with kids) or HYS grads getting into jobs in Colorado. You are looking at who has jobs there now. You need to find out how competitive you will be with your JD from one of the top 3 law schools in the country. Do the jobs you want regularly turn down HYS or CCN or V grads? How many have applied? What were their backgrounds?

Colorado may get you what you think you want now, but it may not get you where you want to be after you have gone to law school. I think going to a local school because it will help get a local job can be a good idea for some people. But I don't think that is credited in your situation. I think it would be a terrible mistake for you to go that route.

Also, it is not credited for anyone to go to any school and expect to be top in their class. You may achieve that, but there is no guarantee. Law school is very different from other experiences. If you go to law school at CU and aren't a top prospect, where will you be? You are a great student with a great career, but there is always a risk with assuming that a person will be a top student. Anything can happen; family issues can intervene. No one should put themselves in a situation where they have to be a top student to succeed. The general rule is that you should go to a school that you will feel comfortable graduating at median.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:40 am

-
Last edited by MumofCad on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “What are my chances?”