4.0/174 - What do you think? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MumofCad

Silver

4.0/174 - What do you think?

Post by MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:56 am

:(
Last edited by MumofCad on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 19 times in total.

lawgod

Bronze

Re: 4.0/174 - What do you think?

Post by lawgod » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:57 am

MumofCad wrote:First post, but I've been a troll for awhile now.
You don't say.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 pm

lawgod wrote:
You don't say.
lol was going to point that out as well.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:03 pm

You're going to have a great chance anywhere you apply, but even with great numbers and a compelling story no one really knows your chances at Yale.

I wouldn't recommend Denver even if you think you want to practice in CO, since you'll have a great chance of very large scholarships at schools like Chicago which will place well in CO. I think you should certainly apply more broadly to any of the T-14 schools you would consider attending, and maybe even some you wouldn't consider attending for the potential scholarship leverage.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:03 pm

MumofCad wrote:My planned app schools:
HYS
UVA (I live part-time in DC, part-time in Iraq so I wouldn't need to uproot my family from their AMAZING local school)
UDenver (family reasons and the place I want to practice)
Lewis and Clark (fee waiver and my home state, where it the other place I may settle)
literally lol'd

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:10 pm

Emma. wrote:You're going to have a great chance anywhere you apply, but even with great numbers and a compelling story no one really knows your chances at Yale.

I wouldn't recommend Denver even if you think you want to practice in CO, since you'll have a great chance of very large scholarships at schools like Chicago which will place well in CO. I think you should certainly apply more broadly to any of the T-14 schools you would consider attending, and maybe even some you wouldn't consider attending for the potential scholarship leverage.
Thanks for the advice - I think I will add Chicago for sure.

I should have added that UD and L&C were on the list, because of particular career considerations. I don't plan to go into private practice. I have my eyes set on positions that attendance at these schools might open doors for that attendance at a lower-rated T14 would not. Chicago though, because of its location should probably go on my list.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:12 pm

thecilent wrote:
lawgod wrote:
You don't say.
lol was going to point that out as well.
Everyone comes out of troll-dom at some point right? ;) I've actually just been looking around the general info for a few weeks, decided to look into visiting the colleges in the forum experiences, and then decided I might as well participate.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:14 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Emma. wrote: I should have added that UD and L&C were on the list, because of particular career considerations. I don't plan to go into private practice. I have my eyes set on positions that attendance at these schools might open doors for that attendance at a lower-rated T14 would not. Chicago though, because of its location should probably go on my list.
This is insane. There are no doors -- at least doors worth opening -- that Lewis & Clerk will open that a T14 school won't. Plus, if you're looking to do public interest or government work, the T14 are the only schools that offer really good LRAP.

Don't apply anywhere outside the T14 with your numbers.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:20 pm

I don't think your chances at HYS are very good. I predict WL at all three due to YPing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:26 pm

scribelaw wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
Emma. wrote: I should have added that UD and L&C were on the list, because of particular career considerations. I don't plan to go into private practice. I have my eyes set on positions that attendance at these schools might open doors for that attendance at a lower-rated T14 would not. Chicago though, because of its location should probably go on my list.
This is insane. There are no doors -- at least doors worth opening -- that Lewis & Clerk will open that a T14 school won't. Plus, if you're looking to do public interest or government work, the T14 are the only schools that offer really good LRAP.

I'm leaning that way. The issue was considering a possible run for an office that would require residency. If I don't attend in-state, I probably won't be out long enough to even toy with a run.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:27 pm

That was fun to read.

You will get fee waivers from all the t14 except the few who don't give them, so apply to all of them. As Emma said, the scholarship leverage is key. Though you may not even need it.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:28 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:I don't think your chances at HYS are very good. I predict WL at all three due to YPing.
Sorry, what is YPing?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:30 pm

MumofCad wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

I'm leaning that way. The issue was considering a possible run for an office that would require residency. If I don't attend in-state, I probably won't be out long enough to even toy with a run.
Do you have to give up your home state residency while attending school? I'm not sure that you do.
MumofCad wrote:
Sorry, what is YPing?
Yield Protecting. It was a joke. You obviously haven't been "trolling" (you meant to say lurking) here long enough.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:31 pm

I think you have a great chance everywhere. (If you want to retake the 174 I guess you could, as you seem to think you can score higher - but it isn't necessary. Even a 180 won't guarantee Yale, as far as I know. )

But, I think you are making a mistake if you even consider attending a lower ranked school just because of some program or opportunity you think they might offer. You should blanket the T14 with applications. Apply everywhere. Leave Denver on the list if you want to - but don't go there.

You, like everyone else, should go to the best law school you get into.
Send out a lot of applications so you can not only see where you get accepted but also compare/negotiate for scholarships. Even if you were independently wealthy, with 3 kids, you should limit your debt for law school. Because you are interested in public interest (I'm guessing) you should look for places that have great LRAP.

I like that you are not assuming you will get into places. Some people with your numbers will assume they get in based on numbers, but then they don't take as much care with their applications.

Wait to see where you are accepted to decide where you are going to live/ practice and raise your family. There are great schools everywhere and you sound like a great Mom. Don't be limited by where your young children are in school, that doesn't make sense. You are already managing to raise kids with parttime travel, it isn't easy, but you can work it out wherever you end up in law school.

Right now your priority is going to the best school you get into. I don't know, but it sounds to me that you have a good shot at Yale with your background. If you go HYS you will be able to find a job in whatever market - the reverse is not true - Denver and L&C will not take you anyplace great.

Also - do not plan on running for public office right now. I know you have to plan ahead for that, but leave yourself room to develop a career. Don't choose a school simply because you might run for office from there. Isn't your current residency DC?
Last edited by sunynp on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:33 pm

MumofCad wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:I don't think your chances at HYS are very good. I predict WL at all three due to YPing.
Sorry, what is YPing?
YP stands for Yale People. Harvard and Stanford don't like to accept people who seem like they would fit better in Yale. And Yale doesn't accept anyone who didn't already get into Harvard or Stanford. So these people get totally shut out.
I'd say take the half scholarship or whatever that Cooley gives you and plan to transfer to UVA.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Emma. wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

Do you have to give up your home state residency while attending school? I'm not sure that you do.
MumofCad wrote:
Sorry, what is YPing?
Yield Protecting. It was a joke. You obviously haven't been "trolling" (you meant to say lurking) here long enough.
Yep, I am the least hip person you will ever meet. I blame my birth in '81 - just on the cusp of being a generation Y-er. I asked my IT hub if troll was the right word and he nodded. I bet he's busting up in the other room. Exactly why he will NOT be proof-reading my dissertation. I've got a tad of GW Bush in me and its hubby's biggest amusement in life.

Do I even want to know what a troll is? Probably not....

Oh and I've given up my state residency in those two states long ago. I did both my Master's and PhD in the UK. Most of the last 4 years I've been split between UK/DC and Iraq.
Last edited by MumofCad on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Are people actually taking this poster seriously? If you were OP, and have done everything OP claims to have done, would you even apply to some of the schools mentioned or even be asking about what your chances are in an online forum? No. A person like OP would have already done their due diligence, researched all the schools, seen that their numbers are amazing and that their softs are amazing, and know that they would gain acceptance to all of or at least one of HYS.

The OP even mentions people with low 160s LSAT scores getting into H and then wonders about their own chances? Really?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:40 pm

lawgod wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
Sorry, what is YPing?
YP stands for Yale People. Harvard and Stanford don't like to accept people who seem like they would fit better in Yale. And Yale doesn't accept anyone who didn't already get into Harvard or Stanford. So these people get totally shut out.
I'd say take the half scholarship or whatever that Cooley gives you and plan to transfer to UVA.
TCR.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:46 pm

"Yield protection"is a product of the USNWR ranking system. Yield is the percentage of accepted students who enroll in the school and is part of the ranking. The higher the yield, the better for the ranking. This means sometimes schools don't accept students who have high numbers - they think that the student is likely to go somewhere else - so they waitlist that student.

You probably are aware that law school admissions are completely numbers and ranking based. But I think your strong softs will help you with HYS. If I am wrong, which really , who knows, have a good plan for dealing with the yield protect. Focus your application for each school.

Question: why do you bring your kids to Iraq with you instead of leaving them in DC with your husband?
Last edited by sunynp on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:50 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
lawgod wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
Sorry, what is YPing?
TCR.
I haven't been trolling long enough either. What does TCR stand for?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:51 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Are people actually taking this poster seriously? If you were OP, and have done everything OP claims to have done, would you even apply to some of the schools mentioned or even be asking about what your chances are in an online forum? No. A person like OP would have already done their due diligence, researched all the schools, seen that their numbers are amazing and that their softs are amazing, and know that they would gain acceptance to all of or at least one of HYS.

The OP even mentions people with low 160s LSAT scores getting into H and then wonders about their own chances? Really?
+1. It's either a flame or a not-so-subtle brag

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:52 pm

The credited response. I was affirming what you said as being spot on.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:54 pm

sunynp wrote: Question: why do you bring your kids to Iraq with you instead of leaving them in DC with your husband?
Didn't you read the original post? It is because OP.do as they please regardless of what is logical.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:56 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
sunynp wrote: Question: why do you bring your kids to Iraq with you instead of leaving them in DC with your husband?
Didn't you read the original post? It is because OP is a Marshall Scholar. Marshall Scholars do as they please regardless of what is logical.
To help their softs when they apply to University of Denver.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:57 pm

kapital98 wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:Are people actually taking this poster seriously? If you were OP, and have done everything OP claims to have done, would you even apply to some of the schools mentioned or even be asking about what your chances are in an online forum? No. A person like OP would have already done their due diligence, researched all the schools, seen that their numbers are amazing and that their softs are amazing, and know that they would gain acceptance to all of or at least one of HYS.

+1. It's either a flame or a not-so-subtle brag

You think someone would make up having 2 kids and morning sickness during the LSAT? Perhaps OP is really asking for advice from students who are immersed in the application process. I think posting here is part of her due diligence. Just because people here know a lot about schools and applying, you can't assume that everyone has the same knowledge.

OP's life and accomplishments are amazing, and I wish I had them, but why assume she is making this up?

I guess I don't mind looking like an idiot if OP turns out to be a troll. I would rather keep someone away from a stupid decision then assume they are fake. But that is just me. :)
Last edited by sunynp on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”