Help me interpret data

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
admisionquestion

Help me interpret data

Postby admisionquestion » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Using LSN I pulled the following data:
URM only
LSAT 160-170
GPA 3.5-3.8
From HYS

The Acceptance ratio is over 50%

My data is a 3.9, 170 urm.

Are my odds really much great than 50% of hitting at least one HYS?

How am I misinterpreting this data?

minnbills

Re: Help me interpret data

Postby minnbills » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:58 pm

I don't think you are, URMs in the high range of that data stand a good chance of admission to pretty much any school.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:59 pm

You're going to get in pretty much everywhere you apply. Even without a URM boost, you're competitive everywhere besides the top 3 which are a crapshoot anyway.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:00 pm

admisionquestion wrote:Are my odds really much great than 50% of hitting at least one HYS?

How am I misinterpreting this data?

Yes they are. You're not misinterpreting the data. URMs are rare and the boost is quite large meaning you have a great shot.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:19 am

Either, you all have to tell me why this data is wrong, or people have to stop with the "Yale and Stanford are both complete black boxes."

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:36 am

admisionquestion wrote:Either, you all have to tell me why this data is wrong, or people have to stop with the "Yale and Stanford are both complete black boxes." Cuz I'd Say 170 3.87 URM. I'm just real shocked that its a 50/50 shot at Yale with those numbers... and granted the same size is small but can someone say some bias in the LSN data or something like that to explain?

They're not complete black boxes...Stanford is the lesser of the two. They just don't tend to differentiate between a 173 LSAT and a 179 LSAT like other schools do, and have a very high GPA floor for non-URMs. So most of their admits will have 3.85+GPA, 170+ (but not necessary 173+) LSATs. There are more people that fit that than they have space for, so they can afford to be picky amongst them, and select random anomalies that really catch their eye.

Yale still cares about numbers--your odds are significantly better with a 3.85+ GPA and a 175+ LSAT. But, again, most of those they admit in that range will enroll, so they can afford to admit anomalies that catch their eye. The latter group, combined with Yale and Stanford's ability to be picky among those in their target range, lend to their "black box" appearance. But, they still have to admit a certain number of people with solid numbers, they just don't need all of them.

Also, depends on the URM, but since URMs tend to have lower LSATs, the high-scoring ones are more rare and are more likely to be scooped up for their numbers if their numbers fall within range. This will depend on the type of URM you are. If you're black URM, then a 170/3.87 should give you at least 1, if not all, of YHS. If of the Hispanic type, I think you can expect H, probably S, maybe Y. I don't know much about the cycles of Native Americans.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:05 am

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drays917

Postby drays917 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:24 am

admisionquestion wrote:Either, you all have to tell me why this data is wrong, or people have to stop with the "Yale and Stanford are both complete black boxes."

No one "has" to do anything. People are giving you good responses with much less snark you frankly deserved. Be more appreciative.

The data is not "wrong". Yale and Stanford are black boxes. Deal with it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:05 pm

admisionquestion wrote:Either, you all have to tell me why this data is wrong, or people have to stop with the "Yale and Stanford are both complete black boxes."

No one says they are complete black boxes, it's more that you numbers don't guarantee admission there like they do at almost every other school even if they give you a good chance.

Return to “What are my chances?”