Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:17 pm

I've got a 3.86/173 and minimal work experience. I don't have much money at all and want to minimise the cost of my applications. Looking at LSN, I have an extremely small chance of being admitted to either school. Is it worth it to spend the ~$200 on these two schools for that small chance?

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Y/S can be a bit of a black box as far as admissions go, but you don't have a great chance. Just apply to H and CCN and be done with it.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Everyone has a small chance at Yale and Stanford, and with your numbers, you have a chance. Every applicant that gets accepted to either of these schools is surprised.

Don't you think the $200 is worth knowing that you at least tried? I know you'll think it's worth it if you get in. :)

Definitely apply. You don't want any feelings of, what if? And if it doesn't work out, then at least you'll have CCN and quite possibly, H to wipe your tears away.

lawfields

New

Post by lawfields » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Also might consider the extra hoops Stanford wants you to jump through. To me, asking for an extra, special LoR just for S was more than I was willing to ask my former profs to do for me.

Wish I could give more insight into your chances. My impression is you have good credentials so even though maybe below the median somewhat, if you have something interesting about your application (not nec. work exp but volunteer work, leadership, interesting hobbies...) it might be worth a shot. Did you apply for any fee waivers?

I hear Y is more and more focused on academia, so more and more acceptances go to people who already have advanced degrees. That and the small class size makes S a better shot probably, if the extra hoops don't bother you.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:31 pm

$200 is just 23 hours of sign-holding.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Ask someone to borrow $150 or whatever it is and tell them you'll pay them back once you get into Y.

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Contact Y & S for need-based fee waivers.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:38 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Everyone has a small chance at Yale and Stanford, and with your numbers, you have a chance. Every applicant that gets accepted to either of these schools is surprised.

Don't you think the $200 is worth knowing that you at least tried? I know you'll think it's worth it if you get in. :)

Definitely apply. You don't want any feelings of, what if? And if it doesn't work out, then at least you'll have CCN and quite possibly, H to wipe your tears away.
That's what I was leaning towards. Money's tight, so I just wanted to make sure.
soj wrote:$200 is just 23 hours of sign-holding.
:lol:
aaaaaah wrote:Contact Y & S for need-based fee waivers.
Do they give out need-based fee waivers? I thought I read somewhere that YHS don't provide fee waivers to anyone.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:Contact Y & S for need-based fee waivers.
Do they give out need-based fee waivers? I thought I read somewhere that YHS don't provide fee waivers to anyone.
Yes, but you have to be dirt poor. If you have a fee waiver from LSAC, you can apply for free anyway. My guess is that not many people who don't qualify for an LSAC waiver would qualify for their institutional ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:51 pm

bdubs wrote: Yes, but you have to be dirt poor. If you have a fee waiver from LSAC, you can apply for free anyway. My guess is that not many people who don't qualify for an LSAC waiver would qualify for their institutional ones.
Oh, alright. That's a bummer. I heard it's nearly impossible to qualify for the LSAC waiver. Even though my family is in a somewhat precarious financial situation, we're definitely not dirt poor.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:52 pm

The solution is clear.

You're probably gonna get fee waivers from all other schools through LSAC. If you don't just email them, explaining that money is tight while expressing interest in the school. You'll be surprised how schools will probably just grant you a fee waiver. Use the little money you do have to apply to HYS.

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:54 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:If you don't just email them, explaining that money is tight while expressing interest in the school. You'll be surprised how schools will probably just grant you a fee waiver. Use the little money you do have to apply to HYS.
Yeah, this. I was denied a LSAC fee waiver but granted need-based fee waivers from almost every school I reached out to. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:02 pm

aaaaaah wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:If you don't just email them, explaining that money is tight while expressing interest in the school. You'll be surprised how schools will probably just grant you a fee waiver. Use the little money you do have to apply to HYS.
Yeah, this. I was denied a LSAC fee waiver but granted need-based fee waivers from almost every school I reached out to. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Awesome, I'll go with this! Thanks for the tip!

Do I usually send a fee waiver request to admissions@Xlawschool.edu?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:
Awesome, I'll go with this! Thanks for the tip!

Do I usually send a fee waiver request to admissions@Xlawschool.edu?
The correct email addys can be easily found on a school's website. Reach out, explain your financial circumstances, tell them your numbers, your interest in the school and you'll be fine. Good luck!! :)

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Some schools have a form and instructions on where to send it (Penn & Mich If I remember correctly, but you should get merit waivers from them anyway).

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Looks like SLS has a school-specific form: http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/deg ... plication/

Y just says to contact the admissions office.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:12 pm

Sounds good. Thanks for all the info!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:18 pm

And simply to say...

You seem like a genuine person who has worked hard to acquire awesome numbers for this upcoming cycle.

Even if you don't get HYS, your future is certainly bright :)

legalmindedfella

Bronze

Post by legalmindedfella » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:21 pm

I'll just add that I had a high 3.7 and a 173 and didn't wind up applying to either out of a concern about GPA. However, if I had a GPA in the 3.8 range though I would most definitely have applied. I think you owe it to yourself!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:27 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:And simply to say...

You seem like a genuine person who has worked hard to acquire awesome numbers for this upcoming cycle.

Just got an email back from UVA, looks like I have a fee waiver from them.

ETA: For a lot of the schools, they don't say whether they hand out merit-based fee waivers on their website (e.g. NYU, Penn, Michigan). Is it okay to email them to ask anyway?

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:And simply to say...

Just got an email back from UVA, looks like I have a fee waiver from them.

ETA: For a lot of the schools, they don't say whether they hand out merit-based fee waivers on their website (e.g. NYU, Penn, Michigan). Is it okay to email them to ask anyway?
It certainly won't hurt your candidacy to ask...and from what I can recall, all three schools sent me fee waivers/information booklet via snail mail. Send the email!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:ETA: For a lot of the schools, they don't say whether they hand out merit-based fee waivers on their website (e.g. NYU, Penn, Michigan). Is it okay to email them to ask anyway?
Yes, but UVA is one of the only T14 that does fee waiver by request. The only other one I know of that is by request is GULC. Penn, Michigan, etc... only use the LSAC CRS system (make sure you're registered!). They will acknowledge your e-mail but probably won't give you one directly.

I wouldn't be too worried about getting fee waivers though, you'll have them from T4-T14 with the exception of Berkeley who doesn't give any (except maybe extreme need based).

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:44 pm

bdubs wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:ETA: For a lot of the schools, they don't say whether they hand out merit-based fee waivers on their website (e.g. NYU, Penn, Michigan). Is it okay to email them to ask anyway?
Yes, but UVA is one of the only T14 that does fee waiver by request. The only other one I know of that is by request is GULC. Penn, Michigan, etc... only use the LSAC CRS system (make sure you're registered!). They will acknowledge your e-mail but probably won't give you one directly.

I wouldn't be too worried about getting fee waivers though, you'll have them from T4-T14 with the exception of Berkeley who doesn't give any (except maybe extreme need based).
Alright thanks. Are you thinking that they'll probably come in the form of a hidden fee waiver?

confusedlaw

Silver

Post by confusedlaw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:48 pm

in all seriousness do you want to live the rest of your life wondering if 200 dollars would have meant getting into Yale or Stanford?
i think your better off just somehow finding the money to do it

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:51 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote: Alright thanks. Are you thinking that they'll probably come in the form of a hidden fee waiver?
Most of the T14 will be very clear about your fee waiver, but it won't come until applications have been up for a while. Don't worry too much about getting your application out the door on day 1, you can submit in October and still be fine. I can't think of a school that would run a CRS search that wouldn't hit your GPA/LSAT combo. Apply as you get waivers, don't waste application money on anything other than HYS and maybe B if you're interested (definitely send that one in early).

Check last year's fee waiver threads for more specific info on which schools sent waivers at different times.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”