Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:17 pm

I've got a 3.86/173 and minimal work experience. I don't have much money at all and want to minimise the cost of my applications. Looking at LSN, I have an extremely small chance of being admitted to either school. Is it worth it to spend the ~$200 on these two schools for that small chance?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Y/S can be a bit of a black box as far as admissions go, but you don't have a great chance. Just apply to H and CCN and be done with it.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Everyone has a small chance at Yale and Stanford, and with your numbers, you have a chance. Every applicant that gets accepted to either of these schools is surprised.

Don't you think the $200 is worth knowing that you at least tried? I know you'll think it's worth it if you get in. :)

Definitely apply. You don't want any feelings of, what if? And if it doesn't work out, then at least you'll have CCN and quite possibly, H to wipe your tears away.

lawfields
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby lawfields » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Also might consider the extra hoops Stanford wants you to jump through. To me, asking for an extra, special LoR just for S was more than I was willing to ask my former profs to do for me.

Wish I could give more insight into your chances. My impression is you have good credentials so even though maybe below the median somewhat, if you have something interesting about your application (not nec. work exp but volunteer work, leadership, interesting hobbies...) it might be worth a shot. Did you apply for any fee waivers?

I hear Y is more and more focused on academia, so more and more acceptances go to people who already have advanced degrees. That and the small class size makes S a better shot probably, if the extra hoops don't bother you.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby soj » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:31 pm

$200 is just 23 hours of sign-holding.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Ask someone to borrow $150 or whatever it is and tell them you'll pay them back once you get into Y.

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Contact Y & S for need-based fee waivers.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:38 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Everyone has a small chance at Yale and Stanford, and with your numbers, you have a chance. Every applicant that gets accepted to either of these schools is surprised.

Don't you think the $200 is worth knowing that you at least tried? I know you'll think it's worth it if you get in. :)

Definitely apply. You don't want any feelings of, what if? And if it doesn't work out, then at least you'll have CCN and quite possibly, H to wipe your tears away.


That's what I was leaning towards. Money's tight, so I just wanted to make sure.

soj wrote:$200 is just 23 hours of sign-holding.


:lol:

aaaaaah wrote:Contact Y & S for need-based fee waivers.


Do they give out need-based fee waivers? I thought I read somewhere that YHS don't provide fee waivers to anyone.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:Contact Y & S for need-based fee waivers.


Do they give out need-based fee waivers? I thought I read somewhere that YHS don't provide fee waivers to anyone.


Yes, but you have to be dirt poor. If you have a fee waiver from LSAC, you can apply for free anyway. My guess is that not many people who don't qualify for an LSAC waiver would qualify for their institutional ones.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:51 pm

bdubs wrote:Yes, but you have to be dirt poor. If you have a fee waiver from LSAC, you can apply for free anyway. My guess is that not many people who don't qualify for an LSAC waiver would qualify for their institutional ones.


Oh, alright. That's a bummer. I heard it's nearly impossible to qualify for the LSAC waiver. Even though my family is in a somewhat precarious financial situation, we're definitely not dirt poor.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:52 pm

The solution is clear.

You're probably gonna get fee waivers from all other schools through LSAC. If you don't just email them, explaining that money is tight while expressing interest in the school. You'll be surprised how schools will probably just grant you a fee waiver. Use the little money you do have to apply to HYS.

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:54 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:If you don't just email them, explaining that money is tight while expressing interest in the school. You'll be surprised how schools will probably just grant you a fee waiver. Use the little money you do have to apply to HYS.


Yeah, this. I was denied a LSAC fee waiver but granted need-based fee waivers from almost every school I reached out to. Doesn't hurt to ask.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:02 pm

aaaaaah wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:If you don't just email them, explaining that money is tight while expressing interest in the school. You'll be surprised how schools will probably just grant you a fee waiver. Use the little money you do have to apply to HYS.


Yeah, this. I was denied a LSAC fee waiver but granted need-based fee waivers from almost every school I reached out to. Doesn't hurt to ask.


Awesome, I'll go with this! Thanks for the tip!

Do I usually send a fee waiver request to admissions@Xlawschool.edu?

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:If you don't just email them, explaining that money is tight while expressing interest in the school. You'll be surprised how schools will probably just grant you a fee waiver. Use the little money you do have to apply to HYS.


Yeah, this. I was denied a LSAC fee waiver but granted need-based fee waivers from almost every school I reached out to. Doesn't hurt to ask.


Awesome, I'll go with this! Thanks for the tip!

Do I usually send a fee waiver request to admissions@Xlawschool.edu?


The correct email addys can be easily found on a school's website. Reach out, explain your financial circumstances, tell them your numbers, your interest in the school and you'll be fine. Good luck!! :)

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Some schools have a form and instructions on where to send it (Penn & Mich If I remember correctly, but you should get merit waivers from them anyway).

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Looks like SLS has a school-specific form: http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/deg ... plication/

Y just says to contact the admissions office.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:12 pm

Sounds good. Thanks for all the info!

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:18 pm

And simply to say...

You seem like a genuine person who has worked hard to acquire awesome numbers for this upcoming cycle.

Even if you don't get HYS, your future is certainly bright :)

legalmindedfella
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby legalmindedfella » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:21 pm

I'll just add that I had a high 3.7 and a 173 and didn't wind up applying to either out of a concern about GPA. However, if I had a GPA in the 3.8 range though I would most definitely have applied. I think you owe it to yourself!

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:27 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:And simply to say...

You seem like a genuine person who has worked hard to acquire awesome numbers for this upcoming cycle.

Even if you don't get HYS, your future is certainly bright :)


Thanks :)

Just got an email back from UVA, looks like I have a fee waiver from them.

ETA: For a lot of the schools, they don't say whether they hand out merit-based fee waivers on their website (e.g. NYU, Penn, Michigan). Is it okay to email them to ask anyway?

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:And simply to say...

You seem like a genuine person who has worked hard to acquire awesome numbers for this upcoming cycle.

Even if you don't get HYS, your future is certainly bright :)


Thanks :)

Just got an email back from UVA, looks like I have a fee waiver from them.

ETA: For a lot of the schools, they don't say whether they hand out merit-based fee waivers on their website (e.g. NYU, Penn, Michigan). Is it okay to email them to ask anyway?


It certainly won't hurt your candidacy to ask...and from what I can recall, all three schools sent me fee waivers/information booklet via snail mail. Send the email!

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:ETA: For a lot of the schools, they don't say whether they hand out merit-based fee waivers on their website (e.g. NYU, Penn, Michigan). Is it okay to email them to ask anyway?


Yes, but UVA is one of the only T14 that does fee waiver by request. The only other one I know of that is by request is GULC. Penn, Michigan, etc... only use the LSAC CRS system (make sure you're registered!). They will acknowledge your e-mail but probably won't give you one directly.

I wouldn't be too worried about getting fee waivers though, you'll have them from T4-T14 with the exception of Berkeley who doesn't give any (except maybe extreme need based).

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:44 pm

bdubs wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:ETA: For a lot of the schools, they don't say whether they hand out merit-based fee waivers on their website (e.g. NYU, Penn, Michigan). Is it okay to email them to ask anyway?


Yes, but UVA is one of the only T14 that does fee waiver by request. The only other one I know of that is by request is GULC. Penn, Michigan, etc... only use the LSAC CRS system (make sure you're registered!). They will acknowledge your e-mail but probably won't give you one directly.

I wouldn't be too worried about getting fee waivers though, you'll have them from T4-T14 with the exception of Berkeley who doesn't give any (except maybe extreme need based).


Alright thanks. Are you thinking that they'll probably come in the form of a hidden fee waiver?

confusedlaw
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby confusedlaw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:48 pm

in all seriousness do you want to live the rest of your life wondering if 200 dollars would have meant getting into Yale or Stanford?
i think your better off just somehow finding the money to do it

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Any point in applying to Yale/Stanford?

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:51 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Alright thanks. Are you thinking that they'll probably come in the form of a hidden fee waiver?


Most of the T14 will be very clear about your fee waiver, but it won't come until applications have been up for a while. Don't worry too much about getting your application out the door on day 1, you can submit in October and still be fine. I can't think of a school that would run a CRS search that wouldn't hit your GPA/LSAT combo. Apply as you get waivers, don't waste application money on anything other than HYS and maybe B if you're interested (definitely send that one in early).

Check last year's fee waiver threads for more specific info on which schools sent waivers at different times.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawcapture, phelpsy, renc56 and 3 guests