3.9 / 167

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BuckyLaw
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:00 pm

3.9 / 167

Postby BuckyLaw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Bumped from a much earlier post. Wanting to know T14 or high money chances based on trying to end up big law in Chicago. Good/interesting softs (can send if interested)

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby bhan87 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:56 pm

You're probably in at Cornell. CCN is a stretch, MVP is a bit iffy. You're good at LA / Vandie / UTA and down.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Probably big money at WUSTL, NDLS, and Illinois/Wisconsin

Chicago is hard to crack, but Cornell will be your best option and Illinois for money (for Chicago, you can probably get solid money at BU, BC, GWU)

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby albanach » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:43 pm

If your post history is correct and you've been getting into the 170s on PTs, you should probably be retaking. Break into the 170s and open up a number of T14 possibilities with $.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:45 pm

You'll get big money at UIUC, which is a solid bet for Chicago (although much less than T14 chance of biglaw). Cornell is probably your best in the T14, although it might be worth an app to Michigan for shits and giggles. You could also ED Northwestern if you have work experience, although that's by no means a lock.

Had a friend with similar numbers (slightly better GPA) who only applied to southern school, he got money and Vandy and WL'd at Duke and UVA.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Yeah you should get Vandy with those numbers, but honestly why has nobody brought up Michigan? I would ED Michigan.

Edit after carefully reading...duckmoney I don't think it would be only for "shits and giggles."

damage-inc
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 am

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby damage-inc » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Applied with same exact stats this past cycle. Straight out of undergrad, non-urm, 3 years corporate internship. Here are my T14 results:

Y - reject
H - reject
S - WL
C - WL
C - WL
N - Reject
M - WL
P - WL, Accepted (attending)
V - WL
B - WL
D - WL
C - Accepted, no $

I was also in with good money at WUSTL/Ucla/USC

Didn't ED anywhere so that might get you over the hump at either Chicago or Columbia, but no guarantees
Last edited by damage-inc on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:07 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Yeah you should get Vandy with those numbers, but honestly why has nobody brought up Michigan? I would ED Michigan.

Edit after carefully reading...duckmoney I don't think it would be only for "shits and giggles."


Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit. Depends a bit on his softs, Michigan is slightly more holistic than other schools, especially when you're right on the edge like that. I'd prep for a waitlist though.

Also, you could probably get Boalt if you write a good PS, but I don't if that would be that great for Chicago. And if you smell good / wear clothes / considered voting for any Republican for more than 2 seconds, it probably wouldn't be a good fit. :wink:

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:28 pm

duckmoney wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Yeah you should get Vandy with those numbers, but honestly why has nobody brought up Michigan? I would ED Michigan.

Edit after carefully reading...duckmoney I don't think it would be only for "shits and giggles."


Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit. Depends a bit on his softs, Michigan is slightly more holistic than other schools, especially when you're right on the edge like that. I'd prep for a waitlist though.

Also, you could probably get Boalt if you write a good PS, but I don't if that would be that great for Chicago. And if you smell good / wear clothes / considered voting for any Republican for more than 2 seconds, it probably wouldn't be a good fit. :wink:


You don't think ED would put OP over the top?

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby Perch » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:12 pm

ED UVa is likely a lock if early in the cycle. Perhaps consider ED to Michigan, and if you don't get in give UVa an ED app.

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby Puttanesca » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Perch wrote:ED UVa is likely a lock if early in the cycle. Perhaps consider ED to Michigan, and if you don't get in give UVa an ED app.


Agree that UVA is probably a lock if done early in the cycle, but if OP is dead set on Chicago biglaw, I don't think UVA is the best option.

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby Muenchen » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
Perch wrote:ED UVa is likely a lock if early in the cycle. Perhaps consider ED to Michigan, and if you don't get in give UVa an ED app.


Agree that UVA is probably a lock if done early in the cycle, but if OP is dead set on Chicago biglaw, I don't think UVA is the best option.

I think this advice is overly optimistic. You have a good chance, but I don't think it is a lock.

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:52 pm

If you ED'd to Virginia on the first day of the cycle, and if you were dinged ED'd to Michigan right after. I'd honestly be suprised if you didn't get one of them.

A retake for 170+ would do wonders for your chances and scholarship potential at MVP, DNCG. A 170 may also bring CCN into play.

Retake if you think you can get 170 or better. If you don't retake you would likley get GULC and Cornell RD. Would likely get on e of Virginia or Michigan if you ED'd.

User avatar
LaCumparsita
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 am

Re: 3.9 / 167

Postby LaCumparsita » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:36 am

You know what, my good friend had a 3.99/167 last cycle, and she got into U. Chicago and Berkeley. I think you have a shot at those schools too, assuming you write a good PS and have some solid ecs. Good luck!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests