170 LSAT, 4.0 GPA--where to apply?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
el_ladron

170 LSAT, 4.0 GPA--where to apply?

Postby el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:28 am

I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to the law school admissions process, and thought it would be wise to check in with some of you as I begin to plan out where to apply. I graduated from an Ivy (top 10 overall school) in 2010 with a 4.0 GPA. I received a 170 on this year's June LSAT. I know my chances at the top 6 are pretty minimal, but I was wondering if I would be a pretty strong candidate for other top 14 programs? My softs are very very mediocre. I worked this past year at a fairly average job. The only noteworthy thing I could say is that I was awarded a Fulbright for '11-'12.

I'm really hoping for T-14. I know my numbers would give me a good shot at money (possibly a full ride) elsewhere, but with the contraction of the legal profession in general, I don't really want to end up outside of the T-14.

Ruxin1

Re: 170 LSAT, 4.0 GPA--where to apply?

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:36 am

Retake

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:41 am

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:43 am

el_ladron wrote:I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to the law school admissions process, and thought it would be wise to check in with some of you as I begin to plan out where to apply. I graduated from an Ivy (top 10 overall school) in 2010 with a 4.0 GPA. I received a 170 on this year's June LSAT. I know my chances at the top 6 are pretty minimal, but I was wondering if I would be a pretty strong candidate for other top 14 programs? My softs are very very mediocre. I worked this past year at a fairly average job. The only noteworthy thing I could say is that I was awarded a Fulbright for '11-'12.

I'm really hoping for T-14. I know my numbers would give me a good shot at money (possibly a full ride) elsewhere, but with the contraction of the legal profession in general, I don't really want to end up outside of the T-14.

Could you provide more info about your LSAT score? How did you prepare? What was your practice test range?

el_ladron

Postby el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 am

Nope, not a flame. I didn't really use that predictor site because I read somewhere that their numbers are based on previous cycles. Wanted advice from people familiar with how the '10-'11 cycle panned out for people with similar numbers.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:45 am

This guy professed he lacked knowledge about applying to law school. Just because he is wrong about his chances at school doesn't mean he is a flame.

Asleep

Postby Asleep » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:46 am

Looking at lawschoolpredictor and lawschoolnumbers I'd say blanket the top 14. You'll get money at the lower T14 and definitely have a chance at the top 6, although HYS are a bit of a stretch (but worth an app).

Retake is not the credited response here. If you think you could get your lsat up to a 173 or a 174 for a good shot at HYS, it might be worth it, but you have some very good options going for you now.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a great cycle!

el_ladron

Postby el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:48 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:
el_ladron wrote:I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to the law school admissions process, and thought it would be wise to check in with some of you as I begin to plan out where to apply. I graduated from an Ivy (top 10 overall school) in 2010 with a 4.0 GPA. I received a 170 on this year's June LSAT. I know my chances at the top 6 are pretty minimal, but I was wondering if I would be a pretty strong candidate for other top 14 programs? My softs are very very mediocre. I worked this past year at a fairly average job. The only noteworthy thing I could say is that I was awarded a Fulbright for '11-'12.

Could you provide more info about your LSAT score? How did you prepare? What was your practice test range?

I took a class, but did most of the actual prep-work out of the powerscore bibles. My diagnostic was a 165, my highest was a 174, but my average was about 170 (5 solid months of studying). I'm thinking I really maxed out with my 170. I'm not spectacular at standardized tests, and I really don't want to spend another few months preparing for a re-take (I came to loathe the LSAT).

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:50 am

el_ladron wrote:4.0 GPA. I received a 170 on this year's June LSAT. I know my chances at the top 6 are pretty minimal

What the hell makes you think that? Enjoy Stanford.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:51 am

el_ladron wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

I took a class, but did most of the actual prep-work out of the powerscore bibles. My diagnostic was a 165, my highest was a 174, but my average was about 170 (5 solid months of studying). I'm thinking I really maxed out with my 170. I'm not spectacular at standardized tests, and I really don't want to spend another few months preparing for a re-take (I came to loathe the LSAT).

Not a problem. Then blanket the T-14 and see what happens. Would you do something like TFA for 2 years to help you increase your chances at HYS?

Asleep

Postby Asleep » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:54 am

TFA is not something you should do just to get an admissions boost.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:54 am

el_ladron wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

I definitely understand not wanting to retake. 170 / 4.0 is still a great combo and you'll have good options. You will get money at MVP (make sure to write "why" essays") and should get into 2 or 3 of CCN. HYS will be more difficult but since you got a 4.0 from an ivy I think that might give you a boost into one of them (probably not Y).

el_ladron

Postby el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:57 am

Bumi wrote:
el_ladron wrote:4.0 GPA. I received a 170 on this year's June LSAT. I know my chances at the top 6 are pretty minimal

My softs are pretty bare bones. Yes, I did internships/worked during college, but wasn't really involved in extracurriculars. I also worked a very ordinary job the past year, nothing humanitarian or particularly prestigious... and from what I've read, Stanford/Yale are all about the complete applicant.

Truthfully, my dream schools are Columbia/NYU (my numbers are very low for both). I live with my family in New York City, have been able to save a lot of my money, so getting either school would save me a ton... But Cornell/UPenn/Michigan are others that I'd be interested in. Again, don't know how much my poor softs will hurt me in applying to those places.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:05 am

el_ladron wrote:Nope, not a flame. I didn't really use that predictor site because I read somewhere that their numbers are based on previous cycles. Wanted advice from people familiar with how the '10-'11 cycle panned out for people with similar numbers.

:wink: All right all right, not a flame. It sounds like you think LSP is wildly inaccurate though. Why is that? Why do you think the most recent cycle is more indicative?

You say your numbers are very low for Columbia/NYU, but your LSAT is still at and above, respectively, their 25%, so with a GPA like that, you're in a strong position.

To more helpfully answer your question though, I know someone this past cycle with numbers similar to yours who got in at Yale and $$$ at T6.

el_ladron

Postby el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:11 am

duckmoney wrote:
el_ladron wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

I definitely understand not wanting to retake. 170 / 4.0 is still a great combo and you'll have good options. You will get money at MVP (make sure to write "why" essays") and should get into 2 or 3 of CCN. HYS will be more difficult but since you got a 4.0 from an ivy I think that might give you a boost into one of them (probably not Y).

Columbia and NYU are really the dream. Don't get too excited about the GPA, I was just a History major (silly me, picked an area of study I loved). I've read that schools are typically more impressed with the 3.7 engineering or physics student. So with my numbers, weak softs won't kill my cycle in the top 14?

el_ladron

Postby el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:13 am

Samara wrote:
el_ladron wrote:Nope, not a flame. I didn't really use that predictor site because I read somewhere that their numbers are based on previous cycles. Wanted advice from people familiar with how the '10-'11 cycle panned out for people with similar numbers.

:wink: All right all right, not a flame. It sounds like you think LSP is wildly inaccurate though. Why is that? Why do you think the most recent cycle is more indicative?

You say your numbers are very low for Columbia/NYU, but your LSAT is still at and above, respectively, their 25%, so with a GPA like that, you're in a strong position.

To more helpfully answer your question though, I know someone this past cycle with numbers similar to yours who got in at Yale and $$$ at T6.

Everything I have heard about Columbia/NYU is that they're HUGE on the LSAT, to a much greater degree than GPA. I would think that to have a good shot with only a 25th percentile LSAT I would have to have pretty impressive softs.

What was your Yale friend's story? Did they pen a bestseller? Btw, great avatar, glad Leon is back

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:17 am

el_ladron wrote:Columbia and NYU are really the dream. Don't get too excited about the GPA, I was just a History major (silly me, picked an area of study I loved). I've read that schools are typically more impressed with the 3.7 engineering or physics student. So with my numbers, weak softs won't kill my cycle in the top 14?

LOL at schools giving any sort of preference to harder majors with lower GPAs. Nope, you're gold. Only people who beat you academically are engineering or physics students with 4.0s (hint: they aren't real).

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:19 am

Go look at lawschoolnumbers. You're getting into NYU.

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:21 am

Seriously, don't be so pessimistic! You are in an insanely good position. Most people on this site would kill for a 4.0/170 combo. Figure out a way to portray your experience in an interesting light, write an excellent personal statement, and apply everywhere with confidence. With stats like yours, weak softs won't matter much.

Also, this is accurate:
engineering or physics students with 4.0s (hint: they aren't real).

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:24 am

I think you'll get a couple bites in the T6, just blanket the t14 and I think you'll end up with some very good options. I had a buddy with the exact numbers you have and got accepted at Chicago with a little money.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:36 am

el_ladron wrote:
Bumi wrote:

My softs are pretty bare bones. Yes, I did internships/worked during college, but wasn't really involved in extracurriculars. I also worked a very ordinary job the past year, nothing humanitarian or particularly prestigious... and from what I've read, Stanford/Yale are all about the complete applicant.

Truthfully, my dream schools are Columbia/NYU (my numbers are very low for both). I live with my family in New York City, have been able to save a lot of my money, so getting either school would save me a ton... But Cornell/UPenn/Michigan are others that I'd be interested in. Again, don't know how much my poor softs will hurt me in applying to those places.

Relax. Your numbers aren't "very low" for NYU and Columbia. Sheesh dude.

How come every 170/4.0 thinks they're the worst applicant ever and every 146/2.9 thinks they're getting into Yale because they were president of their fraternity? I don't get it.

sven

Postby sven » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:48 am

el_ladron wrote:My softs are very very mediocre. I worked this past year at a fairly average job. The only noteworthy thing I could say is that I was awarded a Fulbright for '11-'12.

Hahaha. S/he has work experience, a prestigious grant, a 170, and a 4.0. If anyone can get into Columbia or NYU it's this guy/girl.

el_ladron

Postby el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:51 am

hurldes wrote:Seriously, don't be so pessimistic! You are in an insanely good position. Most people on this site would kill for a 4.0/170 combo. Figure out a way to portray your experience in an interesting light, write an excellent personal statement, and apply everywhere with confidence. With stats like yours, weak softs won't matter much.

Also, this is accurate:

I definitely think the way I describe my experiences in apps will be key. The entire student body of T-14 schools can't be comprised of true, proven "leaders" (whatever the hell that means) inside and outside the classroom, right? I mean sure admissions departments are going to laud the students who did extensive humanitarian work but there has to be contingent that isn't like that... I hope. Would definitely appreciate any input from people in, or friends/family with people in some of the top schools--are there people who, despite their numbers, are just ordinary?

Forgive my ignorance, but who would you suggest I consult with when crafting some of these application essays (if anyone)? Definitely not going to pay some dude to give me advice, but who did some of you TLS posters go to for input?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:55 am

el_ladron wrote:
hurldes wrote:Seriously, don't be so pessimistic! You are in an insanely good position. Most people on this site would kill for a 4.0/170 combo. Figure out a way to portray your experience in an interesting light, write an excellent personal statement, and apply everywhere with confidence. With stats like yours, weak softs won't matter much.

Also, this is accurate:

I definitely think the way I describe my experiences in apps will be key. The entire student body of T-14 schools can't be comprised of true, proven "leaders" (whatever the hell that means) inside and outside the classroom, right? I mean sure they admissions departments are going to laud the students who did extensive humanitarian work but there has to be contingent that isn't like that... I hope. Would definitely appreciate any input from people in, or friends/family with people in some of the top schools--are there people who, despite their numbers, are just ordinary?

Forgive my ignorance, but who would you suggest I consult with when crafting some of these application essays (if anyone)? Definitely not going to pay some dude to give me advice, but who did some of you TLS posters go to for input?

I got into top schools, and I am ordinary.

As for your second question, every resource you need is on TLS. Look around.

el_ladron

Postby el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:00 am

Dany wrote:
el_ladron wrote:

Also, this is accurate:

I definitely think the way I describe my experiences in apps will be key. The entire student body of T-14 schools can't be comprised of true, proven "leaders" (whatever the hell that means) inside and outside the classroom, right? I mean sure they admissions departments are going to laud the students who did extensive humanitarian work but there has to be contingent that isn't like that... I hope. Would definitely appreciate any input from people in, or friends/family with people in some of the top schools--are there people who, despite their numbers, are just ordinary?

I got into top schools, and I am ordinary.

As for your second question, every resource you need is on TLS. Look around.

What were some of your softs (pm me if you prefer)?

Return to “What are my chances?”