174/Superior(international)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mjitbswyd

174/Superior(international)

Postby mjitbswyd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:13 am

Was Above Average last time I posted here. There was an obvious mistake in calculation so it was reevaluated and is now Superior(86.8 ). I would like to know whether this changes my chances?

other things are the same:

Graduated from a prestigious foreign college with Superior LSAC GPA.

Then graduated from a MVP llm program and got 5 As and 1 A+ on all 6 graded courses.

3 recommendations from my US law school professors who know me very well (senior writing advisors on 3 diffrent topics). Other softs are strong.

Took 1 lsat and got 174.

thank you!
Last edited by mjitbswyd on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

bdubs

Re: 174/Superior(international)

Postby bdubs » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:18 am

You posted before saying you have an "above average" designation from LSAC, which is it?

mjitbswyd

Postby mjitbswyd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 am

bdubs wrote:You posted before saying you have an "above average" designation from LSAC, which is it?

Sry I explained in the first sentence that it was reevaluated by LSAC. there was a quite obvious mistake in calculating

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:46 am

Seems to me that a Superior LSAC GPA and a 174 should make you competitive pretty much everywhere.

mjitbswyd

Postby mjitbswyd » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:18 am

fingersxd wrote:Seems to me that a Superior LSAC GPA and a 174 should make you competitive pretty much everywhere.

thx. but I wonder if international student is considered primarily based on their nationality, which would make the process much less predictable..

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:39 am

mjitbswyd wrote:
fingersxd wrote:Seems to me that a Superior LSAC GPA and a 174 should make you competitive pretty much everywhere.

thx. but I wonder if international student is considered primarily based on their nationality, which would make the process much less predictable..

International student apps are generally pretty hard to predict. The solution is to just throw a bunch a bunch of shit against the wall and see what sticks. (i.e. send apps to every and any school you would consider attending and ask for fee waivers everywhere to keep costs down).

mjitbswyd

Postby mjitbswyd » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:20 pm

fingersxd wrote:
mjitbswyd wrote:

International student apps are generally pretty hard to predict. The solution is to just throw a bunch a bunch of shit against the wall and see what sticks. (i.e. send apps to every and any school you would consider attending and ask for fee waivers everywhere to keep costs down).

thx. well I am only interested in T5 so won't bother about the application fee.. If things go wrong I'll just apply the next year.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:53 am

I know this >1 year old but what would be the conditions for transcript re-evaluation?

Does LSAC evaluate transcripts through "statement of comparability" or "course-by-course"? (from AACRAO website at --LinkRemoved--)

domori

Postby domori » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:20 am

mjitbswyd wrote:
fingersxd wrote:
mjitbswyd wrote:

thx. well I am only interested in T5 so won't bother about the application fee.. If things go wrong I'll just apply the next year.

although I'm not a true international like you, (I went to UG in the states) I do have a non-US nationality so I've been reading posts regarding this and the consensus seems to be
that true international have a bit of disadvantage but not a significant one. with your background I think you have a good chance at CCN (I know you said t5 but I think you should also consider NYU)
and I wouldn't be surprised if you get into one of HYS

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:23 pm

From what I've seen, T6 schools weigh the LSAT a much more than the GPA because the GPA doesn't matter for USNews purposes. Once your GPA is above the median of that school, it's all about softs, recommendations, and other hard to predict factors.

Considering your LSAT and the fact that you went to Oxbridge (I'd assume), you'll probably be accepted to CCN, and maybe 1 of HYS.

Return to “What are my chances?”