3.00 173

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Gandalf205
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:00 pm

3.00 173

Postby Gandalf205 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:03 pm

edited
Last edited by Gandalf205 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: 3.00 173

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:08 pm

If UVA is still doing the quick ED turn around you can ED there and if you don't get it (or get deferred) you can then ED to NU. I think you probably have a better shot at NU (though another year of WE would help).

Generally, I don't think a JD/MBA is worth it. And you are right, you won't be able to get into Kellogg with 1 year of work experience, but if you really want law you should just focus on getting into the best law school with the best employment options available. Worry about exit options once you have offer(s) in hand.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: 3.00 173

Postby chem » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:10 pm

I don't know much about UVA's MBA program, and in general how ED works with business school admission, but is there a risk of being bound by the ED if you are accepted to law school and getting rejected from the business school? effectively dashing your chances at getting the JD/MBA?

As a splitter myself, all the bottom fourteen are basically going to be coinflips, youll definitely be helped by an ED. The good thing about UVA is that they have a fast turnaround, so you can ED somewhere else if it doesnt work out

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.00 173

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:11 pm

D-hops wrote:If UVA is still doing the quick ED turn around you can ED there and if you don't get it (or get deferred) you can then ED to NU.


I just wanted to say that NU adcomms expressly told me that they are not okay with people doing this.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: 3.00 173

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:13 pm

bk1 wrote:
D-hops wrote:If UVA is still doing the quick ED turn around you can ED there and if you don't get it (or get deferred) you can then ED to NU.


I just wanted to say that NU adcomms expressly told me that they are not okay with people doing this.


Interesting, how would they know? Wouldn't UVA give a decision before the application cycle even opens for NU? Plus, that is stupid as hell, why would they care?

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: 3.00 173

Postby splitmuch » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:13 pm

bk1 wrote:
D-hops wrote:If UVA is still doing the quick ED turn around you can ED there and if you don't get it (or get deferred) you can then ED to NU.


I just wanted to say that NU adcomms expressly told me that they are not okay with people doing this.



Do they know?

User avatar
Glock
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: 3.00 173

Postby Glock » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
D-hops wrote:If UVA is still doing the quick ED turn around you can ED there and if you don't get it (or get deferred) you can then ED to NU.


I just wanted to say that NU adcomms expressly told me that they are not okay with people doing this.



Did they give their reasoning? It seems to me that the purpose of the fast turn around for UVA ED is to allow you a shot at other places. Do they just not like disloyal ED candidates?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.00 173

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:16 pm

D-hops wrote:Interesting, how would they know? Wouldn't UVA give a decision before the application cycle even opens for NU? Plus, that is stupid as hell, why would they care?


I don't know how they would know, but they are the only school that cared (which I found odd). I asked NYU/UVA/GULC/UMich and all of them were okay with multiple EDs (assuming they weren't concurrent), but NU seemed to have a giant stick up its ass about it when I emailed them asking about the wording of their ED contract because the way it is worded says that you can only ED to NU in that cycle.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: 3.00 173

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:18 pm

bk1 wrote:
D-hops wrote:Interesting, how would they know? Wouldn't UVA give a decision before the application cycle even opens for NU? Plus, that is stupid as hell, why would they care?


I don't know how they would know, but they are the only school that cared (which I found odd). I asked NYU/UVA/GULC/UMich and all of them were okay with multiple EDs (assuming they weren't concurrent), but NU seemed to have a giant stick up its ass about it when I emailed them asking about the wording of their ED contract because the way it is worded says that you can only ED to NU in that cycle.


I am SHOCKED that NU's administration has a stupid policy with no sound reasoning behind it. SHOCKED.

Gandalf205
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: 3.00 173

Postby Gandalf205 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:30 pm

edited
Last edited by Gandalf205 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.00 173

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Gandalf205 wrote:Do I have a chance ED at some other schools like Cornell, Michigan, Penn? From what I've read Michigan is more holistic, not sure whether that hurts or helps me. I don't want to mess around w/ NU's ED policy, seems like a recipe for disaster.


Cornell doesn't have an ED (just an EA which promises an earlier decision but isn't binding).

You have a decent shot at UMich/UPenn, iirc, as they are semi-friendly at lower GPAs but check http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com just to be sure.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawlita and 1 guest