-

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
richie222

-

Postby richie222 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:18 am

I'm aiming for a t1 with decent scholarship. Spent exactly 2 months studying just about as hard as i could on my own, no classes, took in the range of 30 Practice tests. highest score I ever got was 166 which was only twice, and those tests had questions I had done before. averaged around 162-163 at most. Got 164 on the real thing June 2011. Was pretty happy considering what I was averaging. However, I see that even with a 90th percentile score I don't have a guaranteed accept with very good scholarship at any T1 or the better T2's either. Not having a huge debt is the biggest concern I have right now. I really don't think I will improve my score by more than a point if I retake. Should I try to retake or just apply as early as possible this upcoming cycle and hope for the best????
Last edited by richie222 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law4vus

Re: Should I re-take. 164/3.56GPA

Postby law4vus » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:27 am

richie222 wrote:I'm aiming for a t1 with decent scholarship. Spent exactly 2 months studying just about as hard as i could on my own, no classes, took in the range of 30 Practice tests. highest score I ever got was 166 which was only twice, and those tests had questions I had done before. averaged around 162-163 at most. Got 164 on the real thing June 2011. Was pretty happy considering what I was averaging. However, I see that even with a 90th percentile score I don't have a guaranteed accept with very good scholarship at any T1 or the better T2's either. Not having a huge debt is the biggest concern I have right now. I really don't think I will improve my score by more than a point if I retake. Should I try to retake or just apply as early as possible this upcoming cycle and hope for the best????

Visit the LSAT prep forums on here, use some of their prep ideas, and see if you can break into the 167-170 range. That should get you some good T1s with money and obviously the 170 range breaks into the T14.

If you have the ability to retake and the time to up your score, you always should if you think it will open up better opportunities. If you can get into the high 160s (which I believe you can if you dedicate yourself and MAKE SURE you know why you get every answer wrong when you practice) then you're good with $$$ at some T30 schools.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:40 am

I took the LSAT twice. The first time I studied I took around 30 PTs and was averaging 165. I hit a 162 on the real thing. I took the test again and studied much less, and got a 168.

I think you should definitely give it another go. Like Romo said, make sure you're studying effectively. That said, know that unless you're bringing a really high LSAT score to the table admissions is invariably going to be hard to predict with T1s. I think you could definitley snag a nice scholarship to some of those schools.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:49 am

minnbills wrote:I think you should definitely give it another go. Like Romo said, make sure you're studying effectively.

NEVER call me Romo again. :twisted:

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:56 am

I was basically at your exact numbers after my first test, I decided to retake and basically took a bunch of PT's and looked at what I was getting wrong on each one and got up to 170. The test seemed to make a lot more sense the second time around.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:01 am

Maybe you can do better, maybe you can't. Either way you have little to lose.

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:03 am

bk1 wrote:Maybe you can do better, maybe you can't. Either way you have little to lose.

I agree. Check for advice on here, take some time to study, and give it another go. 3-4 points puts you in much better shape and is very doable, and if you can add 5+ points you'll be in a great situation.

richie222

Postby richie222 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:24 am

-
Last edited by richie222 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:46 am

richie222 wrote:hope this makes sense, but the main reason I do not want to retake is:

Finished undergrad in 2010, had no clue what I was gonna do, been out of work for basically a whole year (no work experience and useless psych degree ===> no one will hire me). so after much research and talks with a brother who finished law school, lawyer seemed like a great career path for me. studied my ass off for 2 months, got a score I was satisfied with for a little while at least. then i was planning on just getting my apps in as early as possible so I would get responses quicker..Then I would at least have my future plans set up if I get accepted w/ good scholarship and would not be stressing so horribly about the fact that I might be out of work for another whole year. but if i take october lsat, i am under the impression that it will be much later before i get responses from schools, thus making my stress levels in case i can't get a job extremely high again

1. Going to law school won't necessarily make you any more employable than you are now.

2. I don't understand your talk about not being able to get a job increasing your stress and having your future plans "set up." Your acceptances/scholarships will be pretty much the same whether you apply in September or November (when you would apply if you took the October LSAT). However if you get a better LSAT you will get better acceptances and better scholarships. It is fairly easy to predict a ballpark range of scholarships/acceptances you will get based purely on your LSAT and GPA (check http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com). Are you worried about not getting accepted or not getting a large enough scholarship and having to find a job? Shouldn't you be trying to find a job whether you are applying to law school or not?

richie222

Postby richie222 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:02 am

well i was kind of responding to whether i had little to lose or not by retaking. what if i honestly feel that i won't be improving my score. if i don't improve, then im losing 2 months in the time i apply (for sept. applications atleast).

From what I've been reading, it looks like people who are encouraged to retake are:

people who had a screwed up test day, people who know for a fact that they can do better because they were averaging much better than test day, people who didn't study enough, or people trying to make up for a weak gpa

I don't think I fit into any of these categories, honestly i could see myself scoring exactly a 164 again on retake

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:28 am

richie222 wrote:well i was kind of responding to whether i had little to lose or not by retaking. what if i honestly feel that i won't be improving my score. if i don't improve, then im losing 2 months in the time i apply (for sept. applications atleast).

From what I've been reading, it looks like people who are encouraged to retake are:

people who had a screwed up test day, people who know for a fact that they can do better because they were averaging much better than test day, people who didn't study enough, or people trying to make up for a weak gpa

I don't think I fit into any of these categories, honestly i could see myself scoring exactly a 164 again on retake

You risk nothing because the difference between a September application and a November application is almost nil. Though you are risking the time and money put forth to study for the LSAT.

People are encouraged to retake to get into better schools even if they aren't necessarily guaranteed to do better. Especially for those people who have little to lose and a lot to gain such as yourself. Maybe you won't do better, but you should at least try to do better since you won't be risking all that much.

richie222

Postby richie222 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Ok. So i am pretty much set on retaking october and will probably register soon. Can someone give me advice on how to study for retake?

I have taken all tests 29-61. That just leaves 62 and all the older exams (which from what i've seen are pretty different than recent ones. I was thinking I would use 52-61 all over again and just drill the hell out of them for the next 2 months until october, and then I will also have 62 to use as a fresh exam. Is this a good plan?? or should I use the really old exams which have insanely hard logic game sections.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Can we have one of those meme gifs that says retake? Do we?

Return to “What are my chances?”