Stanford chances based on legacy

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
santaclara12

Stanford chances based on legacy

Postby santaclara12 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 pm

i hate to ask this but i feel the question needs to be asked to give myself a realistic gauge of where i stand in the SLS application process. I am a third generation legacy to SLS and have a 3.5 GPA, shooting for a 170 LSAT. What are my odds? how does stanford address situations such as this? would writing a specific essay be more advantageous? thanks in advance,

bk1

Re: Stanford chances based on legacy

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Does your parent or grandparent have a building at Stanford named after them?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:54 pm

santaclara12 wrote:i hate to ask this but i feel the question needs to be asked to give myself a realistic gauge of where i stand in the SLS application process. I am a third generation legacy to SLS and have a 3.5 GPA, shooting for a 170 LSAT. What are my odds? how does stanford address situations such as this? would writing a specific essay be more advantageous? thanks in advance,

Conventional wisdom says that legacy counts for almost nothing, unless your name is Bush or Kennedy (or similar), or your parents bought the law school a building.
Your GPA is too low for Stanford. There are very few admits below 3.7/3.8-ish, and those are URMs.
http://stanford.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:55 pm

bk1 wrote:Does your parent or grandparent have a building at Stanford named after them?

If not, zarro.

santaclara12

Postby santaclara12 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:58 pm

bk1 wrote:Does your parent or grandparent have a building at Stanford named after them?

yes, a portion of the library.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Here's what Anna Ivey says, from her book on law school admissions:

"In my experience, at the top schools your relatives would have to have given a lot of money to influence your admissions chances in a meaningful way. However, even alumni and family connections who haven't donated big bucks can and do help if you're borderline."

From what I recall, Richard Montauk says something similar.

So, how big a portion - a room, a wing? Sounds like it would need to be something very substantial to compensate for a 3.5 and a below median LSAT.

santaclara12

Postby santaclara12 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:00 pm

That is what I thought but was curious to hear people's opinion. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll throw in my app and cross my fingers!

Return to “What are my chances?”