Any advice would be appreciated!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
laurenkennedy

Any advice would be appreciated!

Postby laurenkennedy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Hello!
This is my first post... I’d appreciate any help I can get :D

I’m graduating this summer from a 5 year double major program. I’m planning on applying for law school after taking the October LSAT, and hopefully attending the following September.

My question is about my GPA.
First year: 1.9 (I know.)
Second year: 3.3
Third Year: 3.6
Fourth Year: 3.8
Fifth year: 3.9
LSAC Cumulative GPA: 3.28

So I need to explain my 1.9 in first year. When I left home my best friend was diagnosed with cancer. I didn’t realize at the time, but now have come to understand that I suffered from depression during my first year of university and it was honestly the worst year of my life. That along with being in a program that I was not passionate about, I ended up missing class and neglecting assignments. I was eventually put on academic probation. I take full responsibility for my poor grades, and after returning home that following summer and spending time with my friend who I felt like I abandoned in first year, I got my shit together and began applying myself in school.

Anyways, these first year grades completely destroyed my GPA, and I’ve been working since then to pull it up.
My dream schools are UCLA and Cornell, but I realize that UCLA is heavily focused on GPA and Cornell may be a huge stretch for me. I’ve been studying for the LSAT and I am scoring in a range that I am happy with (I realize this could change on test day), but I just want to know to what extent will these negative grades will haunt me... or if I even have a chance at these schools!

Thanks for reading my post, and I appreciate any responses!
Last edited by laurenkennedy on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: Any advice would be appreciated!

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:08 pm

laurenkennedy

Postby laurenkennedy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:10 pm

bk1 wrote:http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

Thank you for that website. I have actually checked lawschoolnumbers, and also lawschoolpredictor, but I beleive that my case is slightly different. I'm asking for advice more than anything. I am aware of the resources available to check other peoples scores and admission offers, but I feel like everyone on this board has a lot to offer in terms of personal experience or other knowledge that could help me with my situation!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:14 pm

They will treat your GPA for exactly what it is - a 3.28. No matter how good the explanation, your GPA is a 3.28. So if it's between you and a guy with a 3.5, they are going to take the 3.5. If it's between you and a guy with a 3.28 with no good explanation, they will probably take you.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:14 pm

laurenkennedy wrote:Thank you for that website. I have actually checked lawschoolnumbers, and also lawschoolpredictor, but I beleive that my case is slightly different. I'm asking for advice more than anything. I am aware of the resources available to check other peoples scores and admission offers, but I feel like everyone on this board has a lot to offer in terms of personal experience or other knowledge that could help me with my situation!

Your case isn't that unique and is unlikely to be held against you. You had a legitimate reason for getting bad grades (depression) so they will probably overlook the academic probation. But that doesn't mean they will overlook the 3.28. They will look at you as a 3.28. Whether that is fair or not isn't important because it is what it is.

UCLA seems unlikely even with a 170+ LSAT but you have a shot at Cornell and other T14 schools that are splitter friendly (GULC, Mich, Va, Penn) if you get a high enough LSAT.

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:14 pm

I'd wait to apply.

Absent a score in the 170s you're not really competitive for either school based on numbers alone.

Some work experience might make you more attractive, but as it stands you're not a likely admit for either school.

Including an addendum explaining why you performed poorly in your first year would also be helpful, but I wouldn't be so confident about your circumstances being unique. You should also be prepared to document your diagnosis of depression.

ETA: And if your SN is your real name, you might want to anonymize yourself.

laurenkennedy

Postby laurenkennedy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:19 pm

bk1 wrote:
laurenkennedy wrote:Thank you for that website. I have actually checked lawschoolnumbers, and also lawschoolpredictor, but I beleive that my case is slightly different. I'm asking for advice more than anything. I am aware of the resources available to check other peoples scores and admission offers, but I feel like everyone on this board has a lot to offer in terms of personal experience or other knowledge that could help me with my situation!

Your case isn't that unique and is unlikely to be held against you. You had a legitimate reason for getting bad grades (depression) so they will probably overlook the academic probation. But that doesn't mean they will overlook the 3.28. They will look at you as a 3.28. Whether that is fair or not isn't important because it is what it is.

UCLA seems unlikely even with a 170+ LSAT but you have a shot at Cornell and other T14 schools that are splitter friendly (GULC, Mich, Va, Penn) if you get a high enough LSAT.

Thanks... yeah I understand it isn't that unique, that is why I put "slightly" :p
I have scored 170+ on practice, althought I realize things can go much, much different in the exam...
Thanks for the school suggestions, I'll look into that! I was hoping to stay westcoast though (except for Cornell) but I gather most Cali schools are GPA focused.
Is my GPA worth writing an addendum for?

laurenkennedy

Postby laurenkennedy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:22 pm

teaadntoast wrote:I'd wait to apply.

Absent a score in the 170s you're not really competitive for either school based on numbers alone.

Some work experience might make you more attractive, but as it stands you're not a likely admit for either school.

Including an addendum explaining why you performed poorly in your first year would also be helpful, but I wouldn't be so confident about your circumstances being unique. You should also be prepared to document your diagnosis of depression.

Thanks for the advice! - how do you change your SN?
...not that any of this info is something I wouldn't share with people haha... just incase I guess!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:26 pm

laurenkennedy wrote:Thanks for the advice! - how do you change your SN?
...not that any of this info is something I wouldn't share with people haha... just incase I guess!

Private message an administrator.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:26 pm

laurenkennedy wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:I'd wait to apply.

Thanks for the advice! - how do you change your SN?

You can request it from an admin (users with red). You can either contact them, or just start a new account and abandon this one and notify one of the moderators(pink or purple or red) so we know you're not alting.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:39 pm

If you have documentation of your struggles your Freshman year, you should explore whether retroactive withdrawal is a possibility.

Return to “What are my chances?”