Should I ED?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
SLS_AMG

Should I ED?

Postby SLS_AMG » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm debating between using ED and not using it. My three favorite schools are Michigan, UVA and Duke, but my numbers are 3.81 and 168 - meaning UVA is probably out of the picture even with ED.

I think I like Michigan a bit more than Duke, but I cannot commit to the summer start, and I'm afraid if I don't ED to Duke there's a good chance I will get shut out of both. Should I just ED Duke, or should I apply RD to both? Or, should I apply RD to Michigan and hold out on a Duke ED app till January if I get WLed or dinges by Michigan before then?

Confused...help!

Oh, and I went to a large state school out west and have average softs (not that that matters from what I hear!).

glewz

Re: Should I ED?

Postby glewz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:18 pm

UVa's ED process has a really quick turnaround - I think 2 weeks. It also does not prevent you from EDing to other schools should you be declined admission.

If I were in your shoes, I'd ED to UVa on the first day apps come out, and if things don't work out, Mich.

NYCbound35

Postby NYCbound35 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:34 pm

You are almost certainly going to get WL at these 3 schools regardless of whether you apply RD or ED. To maximize the chance of landing one, ED to UVA in early September. When/If you get a waitlist, ED to Michigan or Duke. Duke if you want DC or Southeast, Michigan for anywhere else. If these are the schools you want, work to get off of those waitlists, you'd be near the top of their lists with those numbers and it is certainly possible. You should get Cornell with some $, so you probably won't get shut out of the T14. There are even a few T6 green dots on LSN w your numbers, so they are probably worth the app fees (except Y).

SLS_AMG

Postby SLS_AMG » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. I can't ED To Michigan because of the summer start, but I just looked at LSP and my numbers are at "Consider" at Duke unless I ED, where they turn to "Strong Consider." Does that look right? I think I'm barely over their GPA median.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:56 pm

aerogear

Postby aerogear » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:30 am

NYCbound35 wrote:You are almost certainly going to get WL at these 3 schools regardless of whether you apply RD or ED. To maximize the chance of landing one, ED to UVA in early September. When/If you get a waitlist, ED to Michigan or Duke. Duke if you want DC or Southeast, Michigan for anywhere else. If these are the schools you want, work to get off of those waitlists, you'd be near the top of their lists with those numbers and it is certainly possible. You should get Cornell with some $, so you probably won't get shut out of the T14. There are even a few T6 green dots on LSN w your numbers, so they are probably worth the app fees (except Y).

+1

I'll be doing the same exact thing as you, UVA ED and then either Mich or Duke ED. Good luck bro.

SLS_AMG

Postby SLS_AMG » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:33 pm

Any more opinions? :D

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:36 pm

IF there is one school out there that you would LOVE attending at full price, and would go there over a full scholarship at another school- then ED there.

If not- go RD. Only ED for the one school that is your absolute number 1. Make sure to visit the school before you sign that contract though

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:41 pm

You are out at UVA no matter what. Duke might be tough too since they raised their median to 170. I think you should be in at Michigan.

SLS_AMG

Postby SLS_AMG » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:02 am

Stringer Bell wrote:You are out at UVA no matter what. Duke might be tough too since they raised their median to 170. I think you should be in at Michigan.

Unfortunately, I can't do ED Michigan because I have a conflict next summer. :( I think I like Michigan a tad more than Duke, but I like both a lot, and I'm afraid if I don't ED to one I'll be shut out of the top 14 (may be anyway).

Should I apply to both RD and then think about switching my Duke app to ED if I get dinged or WL from Michigan before the second round ED deadline?

Return to “What are my chances?”