2.0/161 - New Schools Added Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
aerogear

New

Re: 2.0/161

Post by aerogear » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:27 am

WSJ_Law wrote:LOL @ OPs schools. Duke/UNC/etc.

Snowball's chance in the 7th circle of hell
But then again.. we would be downers to tell him he can't get in... am I right?

IMO OP... you need to break 171 and even then I've seen people get dinged (@ Fordham and Brooklyn) + they were URM. I'm not trying to be a pessimist. You should consider taking the acceptance at the tier 2 school and then transferring into the schools that you are interested in.

It's amazing on how no one else has asked you this question, but how are you an university teacher with an 2.0 UGPA?

lookingtorebound

New

Post by lookingtorebound » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:52 am

Not sure what the LOL is for, I listed every law school in NC.

lookingtorebound

New

Post by lookingtorebound » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:56 am

aerogear wrote:

IMO OP... you need to break 171 and even then I've seen people get dinged (@ Fordham and Brooklyn) + they were URM. I'm not trying to be a pessimist. You should consider taking the acceptance at the tier 2 school and then transferring into the schools that you are interested in.

It's amazing on how no one else has asked you this question, but how are you an university teacher with an 2.0 UGPA?
I am pretty sure I said in the OP that I did not think Duke or Carolina had much chance (or any in the case of Duke) regardless of improving my LSAT score.

To answer your question: (a) universities look not only at GPA, but also other skills, (b) when they do look at GPA, they are more concerned with your graduate GPA, and (c) my LSDAS gpa is a 2.0, my GPA on my transcript was almost a point higher.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:26 pm

lookingtorebound wrote:Guesses at elon, Campbell, nccu?
not worth attending

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:33 pm

edited for being mean ^_^

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:59 pm

OP, your cycle will be hard to predict. I would retake and try to get in the 170s and shoot for Wake. I think you have the best chance with them, as they're at least somewhat friendly to traditional splitters.

For reference, here are some LSN profiles (from last year + this year) similar to your current stats:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/PresidentJed - this guy got into several respectable schools.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/CortninO - this one got into 2 Chicago area t2s (although the WL at NIU is interesting)

I would say, cast a wide wide net. You might get rejected from lower schools and in to higher schools. But if you're dead set on NC and NC alone, I'd really urge you to retake and try and get in touch with Wake's admissions staff. Their office has historically been very open and friendly. Getting to know someone there may be helpful. However, I doubt you'll see results there with less than a 170, so I'd make that your goal.

Good luck!

lookingtorebound

New

Post by lookingtorebound » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:26 pm

snapdragon wrote:OP, your cycle will be hard to predict. I would retake and try to get in the 170s and shoot for Wake. I think you have the best chance with them, as they're at least somewhat friendly to traditional splitters.

For reference, here are some LSN profiles (from last year + this year) similar to your current stats:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/PresidentJed - this guy got into several respectable schools.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/CortninO - this one got into 2 Chicago area t2s (although the WL at NIU is interesting)

I would say, cast a wide wide net. You might get rejected from lower schools and in to higher schools. But if you're dead set on NC and NC alone, I'd really urge you to retake and try and get in touch with Wake's admissions staff. Their office has historically been very open and friendly. Getting to know someone there may be helpful. However, I doubt you'll see results there with less than a 170, so I'd make that your goal.

Good luck!
wow, those are really helpful. both of those users got into some decent schools (and with some decent money). while I would prefer NC (by far), I think a couple of offers would have made me think about it. But, the first goal will be the 170.

aerogear

New

Post by aerogear » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:00 pm

lookingtorebound wrote:
aerogear wrote:

I am pretty sure I said in the OP that I did not think Duke or Carolina had much chance (or any in the case of Duke) regardless of improving my LSAT score.

To answer your question: (a) universities look not only at GPA, but also other skills, (b) when they do look at GPA, they are more concerned with your graduate GPA, and (c) my LSDAS gpa is a 2.0, my GPA on my transcript was almost a point higher.
I apologize if I came off a little strong. Good luck with your cycle and I agree with shooting an application to Wake.

lookingtorebound

New

Post by lookingtorebound » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:56 am

aerogear wrote:
lookingtorebound wrote:
aerogear wrote:

I apologize if I came off a little strong. Good luck with your cycle and I agree with shooting an application to Wake.
No problem. I know that what lies ahead is not really good, but the worst I can do is try. At least, unlike a lot of other people in this situation, I have something solid to fall back on if I don't get a good offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lookingtorebound

New

Post by lookingtorebound » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:40 am

OK, just put my notification to the tier 2 school in the mail that I won't be attending. Maybe I should write admissions and ask if I could defer to next year in case things don't work out with other places (obviously I wouldn't word my request that way).

lookingtorebound

New

Re: 2.0/161 - New Schools Added

Post by lookingtorebound » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 am

edited with a few new schools

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”